Fish Wacker!!!

Anyone use them?

What do you use?

Since I rock out a small boat and the cooler is way at the front, I have taken the liberty of beating the crap outta the fish before them come out of the net. They are much less livley after a few cracks of my D town tigers mini bat.

I have been looking for an older mini metal baseball bat from when I weas a kid. I have yet to find one.

I bought a wooden handle to a framing hammer, wrapped the bottom with electrical tape and drilled a hole across the bottom and tied a cotton line through it to wrap around my wrist. I smack them across the back of the head before reaching into the net (learned the hard way!)

I think that is the part I like best about salmon fishing, wacking them across the head, very satisfying.

Edited by anthonyyost
Misspelling

do you ever have a problem with hemmoraging..years ago i would do that and found when i cleaned the fish it was very bloody in the meat..everyone has theyre way and im not saying its wrong..just curious

you're supposed to hit them on the head! If you Rodney King them, they do get bruised meat.

you're supposed to hit them on the head! If you Rodney King them, they do get bruised meat.

Just asked a question Josh. Just something I noticed on some of the fish I cleaned and wondered If he had the same problem. I didnt beat the hell out of them. 1 hit on the head.I defer to the "experts"

Just asked a question Josh. Just something I noticed on some of the fish I cleaned and wondered If he had the same problem. I didnt beat the hell out of them. 1 hit on the head.I defer to the "experts"

I know, I was just joking......Some guys around here go crazy with the whacker like the fish just stole their birthday. the meat does get bruised periodically when these performance enhancing drug abusers are aboard.

As far as bruised meat with just a quick head whack, I do not have an answer for that. Maybe there is a bully in the "school" and the fish are bruised up prior to being caught?!

We used to whack em all the time. We're not as limited on space and have been able to get them into the boat in the net and flip em' into the cooler immediately.

This is what use to settle a Lake Trour down if he rolling in the net, one love tap on the head and he good:thumb:, when he out of the net he's on the bleeder, and the gills are cut, NO blood and NO mess trust me, But I just don't turn anybody lose with the tumper, or you have bloody tuna fish:eek:

outriggers_004.jpg

Seams like a waste of time to me , you pissed off the fish when you impaled him with the hook , dragged him through the water out of his home .He's going to be a little pissed off.

I like to put them in the cooler and let them cool down. it works too. Never had one pissed off when I go to take them out of the cooler.

Mag-light = works great

Fat Fish Downrigger Ball = not so good

Pliers (while holding on to a Pike that swallowed the hook ice fishing) = :no:The first two taps only pissed it off more. The the third harder strike missed his head in the struggle, but it did manage to land a hard blow to my knuckle. Knocked my index finger out for a good hour. I did notice some bruising...on my hand.:lol:

Sorry I shouldn't have laughed, but Josh made me think about those Tred Barta episode where he beats the crap out of the tuna. I have seen fish where the meat was all bruised and blood shot though. Actually I remember one day we had about 3 fish we cleaned where the meat was bruised and all scared up and pus filled. I actually gave the fish to the dnr and they said they never saw that before.

I don't usually have to whack 'em. But I have one on the boat (somewhere). And when I have time I like to make a cut at the base of the gills with my scissors and bleed them out right away.

each to their own...

i would not call myself a fish beater or even say i always use a bat to whack them personally. usually i agree it is a waste of time.

I will say on a crazy rough day when standing is a challenge, having a fish flopping around while trying to unhook them has led to many hooked fingers.

No fish leaves the net on my boat without getting whacked with a flash light. One hit, check the pupil, if it's wide open, then and only then will the fish be handled.

Mull loves to pose fish with hooks in them for pictures. F that.

Hate hearing fish flopping to death in the cooler. This is easier for all involved, including the fish.

If you shot a buck and walked up on it to tag it and it was trying to get up, I bet you still wouldn't try to tag it. If you have ever put your hand in a net to grab a live 15# steelhead or salmon and had it drive the treble into your hand, you will only have it happen once.