Wire Mistake

I made the mistake last year of cutting 1000' of wire in 2 500' segments for two wire dipsies. After reading alot of your threads, it sounds like that was a big mistake and should've just kept it in one segment and put it all on one reel. Can I still do anything with this or is it worthless?

Flyboy

I'm also Interested in finding a good way to join SS wire. After spooling a 1000' of 30# on loose, I tried to unspool so I could wind it back on under tension. That's when things got bad, It uncoiled on me making one heck of a mess and ended with me having to cut the line where it started to fray, almost in half. I used the half hitch and the overhand knot on a Spro heavy duty swivel to join the two halves but the swivel hangs up on the rod tip. It's a 20 to 50 pound rod so the tip doesn't bend as much as a 12# to 27# copper rod.

What kind of knot would you use to tie wire to braid without the wire cutting right through the braid. I have to admit, thats the reason I've never felt comfortable running wire because I felt everytime I sent out a dipsy on a 1 1/2 setting it would cut right through my rigger rods and lose my tackle.

overhand knot on a Spro heavy duty swivel to join the two halves but the swivel hangs up on the rod tip.

you could try a 35lb or even 50lb Spro power swivel instead of the heavy duty swivel. much smaller.

What kind of knot would you use to tie wire to braid without the wire cutting right through the braid. I have to admit, thats the reason I've never felt comfortable running wire because I felt everytime I sent out a dipsy on a 1 1/2 setting it would cut right through my rigger rods and lose my tackle.

albright knot for backer to wire, just take your time and cinch down good so your wraps dont slide up over your albright loop.

wire will not cut through braid, unless you and your buddy grabbed both ends of the wire and purposely sawed it across a tight strung piece of braid, just not going to happen.

We run two wire divers a side, as many now do, on 1.5 right off your riggers and 1) they never come close to touching and 2) would not cut even if they did based upon the above..

Good luck!

As long as you have sufficient backer you shouldn't have a problem

for now, until you have a tangle or some issue which requires you to cut back 100+ feet of wire and now you are working with < 400 feet. Fish summer and your wires are out 300 feet to start with and you have slim margin on a nice fish. You really never ever want to see your backer to wire knot hit the water.

work with it for now, but if you lose any, go and get at least 700 feet put on..

Hey Flyboy,

First of all the main intent of running the 1000' of ss wire per a single reel is to eliminate the need for any backing. Most fish out there in the big lake will be handled with wire. case in point though I saw a king spool off 450' of wire on me last in Manistee, so you had bets careful. If you know an Albright knot that might work to join the (2) lines together. Most wire is very stiff or, resistant to a particular knot. I do a surgeon loop at the swivel end with a crimp for the wire. Too much backing and the reel will be overfilled as well. I also would plan on a much heavier braid to tie off with. Find the toughest braid you can afford to work with as well. When it comes to fishing for big fish do not be afraid to beef it up.

I had about 150 trips on (2) Tekota 500 LC's with 25lb mono backing and 500' of 30 lb wire before I went to bigger reels (which are also backed by mono). Tie a loose overhand knot in the wire, pass the mono through it, tighten the knot in the wire until it is just snug, tie a uni knot in the mono, wet and carefully tighten both knots. Use a short section of heavy braid to attach to the wire if the mono to wire knot bothers you. The same knot will work to attach braid to wire. I wouldn't use it on the business end but for backing on a reel it works fine.

For my wire misadventure I removed the spro swivel and joined the two halves with the Albright knot. After practicing the knot with SS wire I found that If I made the ten wraps tight and close together they cinched up just like mono. My plan Is to use the wire until It gets shortened enough that I start seeing that knot come out, then I'll cut the knot out and still be able to use the second half of my spool.

I can't say in any kind of honesty that when I have my wire diver back 300ft that it's ACTUALLY 300ft. Line counters aren't even close IMO, better for repeatablity than measuring feet.

Linecounters are more accurate than believed when your reels are packed fully to the top or even above the spool. We consistently test this with large measuring tapes out to even 700 feet and the quality linecounters at least on Shimano's are within a couple of feet.

Anything less than full, like 100 feet from full, linecounters are worthless especially when comparing against depth charts.