Advice on Trees

Alright, I need some advice. Is it worth buying rod trees if I can only run 6 rods and the occasional 9? or should I stick with mounting a rod holder or two towards the front of the boat. More often than not I'll only be able to run two boards, so I need to know if its worth spending $150 a piece on two trees.

Flyboy

We usually can run 9 rods, and we got trees this year and they are really nice to have. They spread your rods out alot more, and the boards run nicer becasue your rod is way higher in the air. Although you dont have to get trees they are very nice to have.

I just bought a new set of trees from Great Lakes Planers, $287.00 free shipping on EBAY. They are very nice units and are going to solve the problems of seperating the boards and let me put out a better set. Same number of rods but easier to handle. Another plus is that they act as a net holder too.

You will like the trees. All good reasons stated above. One thing it has done for me, is, it has opened up the back of the boat. I can run 12 rods effortlessly. 6 boards off the trees, 3 dipsys and 3 riggers. Without the trees I would be running that spread in a less than ideal manner. Buy em and you will not regret it.

I just bought a new set of trees from Great Lakes Planers, $287.00 free shipping on EBAY. They are very nice units and are going to solve the problems of seperating the boards and let me put out a better set. Same number of rods but easier to handle. Another plus is that they act as a net holder too.

I have had mine for 2 years and love them. More adjustable than others, less costly than most. You will not go wrong with these.

Does it make sense to spend that kind of money on trees though if I can only run 1 board off either side anyways? I normally fish with one other guy at a time, so I can only run 6 rods most times. Would you guys still recommend spending $300 to buy a set?

Its an 18' 6" Lund. I fish two riggers, two dipsies, and normally a copper straight out the chute. But the copper was so great last year that I want to put out another. But if I can only run 6 rods most of the time, I just can't see myself spending $300 on something I won't use that often. Then I may as well buy a few more copper rigs and some new boards.

May as well. Why are you only fishing with 1 other usually? I try and put butts in the seats of the boat. Maximize spread and knock off the price of fuel. Like I said earlier, my trees is one of the best features on my boat.

I asked myself the same thing, adding copper rigs or trees? Well I added more copper rigs and decided to just get by with 1 tree this year. You won't be disappointed with the trees.

I built a set of trees a few yrs back. They are the best rod holders on the boat. I run 10 boards on a regular basis. If I had to switch boats the trees would be the first rod holders I would install. Trees make pulling boards so much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Big Jon rod trees with the adjustable holders are the ticket i run my divers in the bottom holders and boards on the higher ones....there a little pricey but worth it and keep the rods out of my way when running nicely....best peice of equpment ive put on the boat in 20 years

I have 2 Bert's rod holders on each side. I made a 2' extension to fit into one of the Bert's on each side. I can run two boards with no interference on each side plus divers and the downriggers. It does get a bit crowded back there with a 9 rod spread but has worked fine for me and saved a nice amount of cash. Trees would be nice if you want the best set-up and have the $.

Duane

Alright, I need some advice. Is it worth buying rod trees if I can only run 6 rods and the occasional 9? or should I stick with mounting a rod holder or two towards the front of the boat. More often than not I'll only be able to run two boards, so I need to know if its worth spending $150 a piece on two trees.

Flyboy

I can save you some cash on at least one tree. I have one that I replaced with a swivel base that I'll sell at a fair price. PM me if you're interested.

John:thumb: