Dispeys only

I only get out about ten times a year and wih gas prices going up maybe less. I am considering selling my big Jon electric downwinders and only using dipseys I figured I could still easily run a six rod spread. I am looking for some input pro or con on this approach. Anyone use just dipseys? What about running spoons behind dipsies? Thanks as always.

I run spoons also on dipseys, they don't produce to good anymore over here on lake huron for me for some reason, but lake michigan is where they'er on fire for me, but I would'nt get rid of my riggers either.

Good luck with your delema

I got back into fishing on the big lake last year and didn't want to invest in riggers yet. Worked just fine last year and regularly ran 6 line spread. Not always as simple as riggers but will get the job done

In my opinion, riggers are the foundation you build the rest of the program around. Sometimes they go dead, so what, yank them and use another day. You'll always find days where the fish are deeper than normal, sometimes up to 250', nothing but a rigger can approach that depth so far to my knowledge. Six slide-divers is a good program for a change-up too.

Thanks for the input guys it was a disapointing year last year so we'll see what this summer brings. I regularly run my diggers at various depths up to 100' but have never caught a fish in the straits over 70' down not sure why.

Thanks for the input guys it was a disapointing year last year so we'll see what this summer brings. I regularly run my diggers at various depths up to 100' but have never caught a fish in the straits over 70' down not sure why.

hey

atleast you will have access to some good information on here. most are just waiting to tell us new guys where to go.LOL. good info with your divers and riggers should really help your catch. i,ve been on this forum(my first) for 2 or 3 weeks and i feel like they,ve already helped me alot.

glad your here, well try to help this be a much better season. and these guys really will share there knowledge.

sherman

I can't belive nobody mentioned SLIDE DIVERS. U can run whatever length lead u want!

i use the lite bite slide divers, and absolutly love the lite bite feature. i fish lake erie for walleye,and the small fish can be a nightmare at times. but the lite bites will trip on most of these small fish. but i still wouldnt want to give up my riggers. and if i still fished salmon i would prefer the riggers to divers. just my preference

sherman

Don't sell the riggers. Riggers,divers and planners all have thier place. I would cut out everything else before I would sell any salmon stuff, even stop drinking BEER!:eek:

Agreed.

Yes you can fish a 6 rod spread without them but you already have them. Getting rid of them won't help the spending to income ratio so ??

I used to run only dispeys and leadcore when I first started salmon fishing out of my 16 fter. The first time I used downriggers on the boat, I got twice as many hits as I had ever gotten before and half of them were on the riggers. After that I decided riggers were a must.

I would sell them,and look for a couple manual cranks.

i dont mean any offence, but why would you want to go from electric thats paid for to manual??

last year was my first 2 electric ones. i had just always made do with manual ones. this year i got 2 more electric. there not eatin anything so i would atleast hang on to them for awhile unless i really needed the money. maby just quit useing them for a few trips. and see how things go. this summer they will be nice.

i only get to make about 3 or 4 trips to erie a year. but i,ll be there with riggers on.LOL. i have a 335 mile trip to fish where i want to fish.

i think he just got these winter blues, they,ll pass.

sherman

Thanks for the inputs. Some very good points made. I would guess if I sell them I would have a hard time buying another pair. What I need is one really good day this summer. Just like golf it only takes one really good shot to make you want to come back.

Gracias