Chronic Cholecystitis and or pancreatis

Just wondering if anyone else here has ever had this condition?

I've been sick since last Christmas and the doctors finally think this is whats wrong with me. I've lost 50lbs. Can you believe it? I can't eat meat or anything fried or anything dairy. Sometimes all I can do is drink fluids. No eating at all. The pain ranges from bareable to unbareable. But it never goes away.

Tomorrow I am going to U of M hospital for another test. They're trying to figure out if the infection is in my pancreas or just my gall bladder. If its just the gall bladder I will be having it removed. If its in my pancreas I will have to stay in the hospital for awhile while for treatment. I guess they have to try and suck the infection out of me while they pump me full of antibiotics. I was supposed to begin my turkey season tommorow too. Oh well. At this point I'd gladly miss the season if it meant I could start getting better again. I sure do miss eating meat :)

Never heard of the condition. I hope for your sake that its the less of the two evils and that they can get the problem rectified right away. Suffering with that since Christmas is suffering for far to long. Best of luck to you.

hey

never heard of it. but the best of luck on the whole thing. my wife was having all those problems. she got to where she got sick every time she ate anything fried. and her pain was almost unbearable for me, it was braking my heart. they did the gall bladder thing and she had stones down in the ductwork going into her liver. she really had a rough time of it. but our prawers got us through. and a good doctor.

sherman

Sounds like a bad gallbladder to me. It seems to be a popular problem. I do a lot of scans for them. The surgery is laparoscopic so in a couple weeks you'll be good as new. Pancreatitis sucks lets hope it is just the gallbladder.

I trained at U of M medical center and that hospital is amazing to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Well been really sick the past week and a half but I'm finally coming back out of it.

It is my gall bladder thats bad. Doesn't appear to be any infection in my pancreas. The weird thing is I don't have any gall stones or sludge or any of the more common issues related to gall bladder dysfunction. It appears my gall bladder just quit working. It doesn't contract properly and its acting like a blockage in the biliary tract. The bile backs up until the bladder becomes inflamed and infected. Its horribly painful!

I am scheduled to see a surgeon this coming week. Hopefully everything moves along quickly from here. This has been going on or a really long time!

Thanks to everyone for their kinds words thoughts and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow morning. I'll know more after that.

They sure don't rush things let me tell yah.

The infection seems better anyway. Still having pain all the time, but no more sick and pukey feeling. Can't eat much though. Kinda feels like I've been kicked under my ribs by a mule.

I have surgery scheduled for june 24th.

They told me to plan on being out two weeks. Then no heavy lifting for 6 weeks.

I guess theres no gaurantees this will make me completely better. Most people who have this get completely better while some don't.

Some it takes a while even years before they improve. A small percentage have no improvements, and something like less than 1% actually get worse.

Never been a 1%er. Always kinda average so I'd say my prospects are good.

What are you gonna do? I can't take it like it is. Been sick so long its hard to remember what feeling normal feels like.

Erik I hope everything goes well. Please take this advice with a grain of salt. No one hospital is great or bad. I have had multiple dealings with too many. Trust your instincts. If your doc is a straight shooter who you can trust and seem confident than I'm sure you are in great hands if you have misgivings ask for someone else or go somewhere else. You are putting your life in their hands. Don't trust hospitals only on reputation they have hundreds of people and no shocker they aren't all the best. Wish I would have realized this sooner.

Best of luck will say prayers

Erik

Good luck we all are praying for you . We have a little girl that has a rare blood disorder and we have found the Grand Rapids has the best doctors out there ,they found what was wrong and put all the cards on the table and keep us up to date on everything that is going on and as a parent that is what need to happen .. I know things will work out in the long run for you ..

luremaker