6 Rod Spread

Wanna get a few opinions on this to start the new year. I'll run 2 downriggers and 2 dipsies for sure, but how many of you would run 2 more dipsies or run 2 lead/copper setups instead? Does early morning setup change your opinion at all?

Thanks,

Flyboy

5 color and 7 color

or Blood run copper

You can always add dive bombs to get more depth.

Maybe buy an extra reel or 2 for deeper set ups. You can always change the reel from rod to rod, but you can not change the lenght of the core . (Well you can, but you get the point)

Its easy to run boards later, and if i only had 6 rods i would run 2 of each and see what is working. So 2 downrigger, 2 dipseys, and 2 planers. I like copper more than lead, but that just my oppinion. You could also run a wire dipsey along with a braided, fore more variety..... What port are you planning on going out of?

I'll be fishing out of muskegon again. Just started with 300' of copper out the chute two years ago and that rod is insane! Goes off every time, never fails. So I plan on runnin boards this year to hopefully get out a few more long lines. Haven't decided whether to run copper or lead yet, but those lines keep the fish biting, so I need a few more. ;)

I'll be fishing out of muskegon again. Just started with 300' of copper out the chute two years ago and that rod is insane! Goes off every time, never fails. So I plan on runnin boards this year to hopefully get out a few more long lines. Haven't decided whether to run copper or lead yet, but those lines keep the fish biting, so I need a few more. ;)

If your 300 copper is what's firing, then the fish are deep and leadcore is not the route you want to go. I like having both on board, but if copper is what's getting bit, then copper it is and same for lead. We run at least 4 boards at all times sometimes 8 depending on how many are on board. Those are our most productive setups alongside Torpedo divers (especially when it's calm) Dipsy divers shine for me when waves are at least 1'. 2 riggers is plenty these days, but in the morning they fire and that's the time to have them in FIRST.

Depends a lot on what time of year, the traffic conditions where you set up, and where the fish are biting down below. If the fish are all at 80'-100' naturally, you want as many rigger setups as possible to get deep. You certainly don't setup 6 planer boards on the bank of Big Pt. Sable when there is a hundred other boats all around you up close all dodging for position in and out.

I have a small boat, and my program is pretty simple. 2 riggers, 2 dipsys, and a core straight down the chute. This year I'll be adding a copper rig to the mix. With only 2 people at a time in my boat, when the fish start hitting, it's all I can handle anyway. Good luck!

I typically run 2 riggers, 2 dispseys - one high one low- and two lead cores early in the day. Sometimes I put out a high line instead of one of the riggers early in the morning. As it gets later in the morning the 5 color often picks up a steelhead.

I would definitely keep leadcore/copper in the mix. Down here in Holland I have always taken fish off my cores right at day break and twilight. I've never had a problem running boards right away in the morning or late at night and I ran them out of a 16ft. boat with very small lights (assuming you are worried about not being able to see the boards). I always have my drags set just tight enough so that they don't creep a alot on me. That way, if a fish hits the line, the drag starts going and I know I have a fish on. Good luck.