Help with VHF radio.

Old radio, new antenna, new connector won’t work. I cannot receive anything unless I’m within 100 yards of the other radio I’m transmitting to. I’m told my transmission comes across with a high pitch squeal and static at 100 yards or less, but I can hear the comeback just fine at that distance. NOAA works with or without the antenna connected.

So…

I got a new VHF radio, and the same new antenna and connector. I haven’t tried to transmit to another radio yet but I cannot even get NOAA with the new radio. I don’t have the new radio hooked to the GPS but it does have that feature.

Does that make it not work?

Why can’t I get NOAA on the new radio?

The connector is a crimp type with no solder.

Hopefully someone can give me advice on how to fix everything and get me going.

If not,

There will be two radios and an 8 foot antenna in Lake Mac in the morning.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I read this on another site, make sure that your shielding or ground wire is not touching you single coax. If any of the shielding wire is touching the single strand coax you will have problems.

Tom

I agree with Tom , check your cable and connector. Make sure that there is no connection between the shielding wire and the antenna wire.

It may not even be your cable or connector it could be the coil in the antenna base.

You say its a new antenna , is it the correct antenna, VHF.

Not the same as a cb radio. different band. When you say crimp type it sounds like you have the wrong type for the radio. Most connectors that I have seen screw together and require a small amount of solider on the tip. If you could post a picture it might help with the connector.

I agree with Tom , check your cable and connector. Make sure that there is no connection between the shielding wire and the antenna wire.

It may not even be your cable or connector it could be the coil in the antenna base.

You say its a new antenna , is it the correct antenna, VHF.

Not the same as a cb radio. different band. When you say crimp type it sounds like you have the wrong type for the radio. Most connectors that I have seen screw together and require a small amount of solider on the tip. If you could post a picture it might help with the connector.

Shakespear is pushing their new solderless connectors. It is hard to find a solder connector anymore. Everywhere that sells shakespeare vhf equipment has just the solderless now. My new antenna last year came with that type. I keep saying i am going to order a solder type but the shipping is more than the connector.

if it is the right antenna, do what everybody elce said, check the conector and make sure the shielding isnt touching. its possable that you just got a bad antenna. if your having the same problem on 2 radio,s and the connector is on right it could be a bad antenna. a few years back we broke a belt. i hadnt started carring a spare at that time. so we had to call for help. i had a new antenna and we were picking up people on our radio. but when we could not get out. thank god the coast guard could pick up our mayday. but they were the only one that could hear us. so they got a good person to come pull us in. we did get an offer from a towing service from cleaveland that said they would come for 175.00 an hour and it would take atleast 4 hours. we were about 10 miles out of geneva. but it turned out i had just got a bad antenna. I NOW HAVE BOAT US TOWING SERVICE. ONLY 34.00 PER YEAR. i think thats a good investment. good luck and keep us posted.

sherman

I have just added a new antenna to the house, with another going on the boat. The antenna was a Shakespeare 8900 and it did require a solder connection. Seems to be working okay so far. I have not installed the one on the boat yet. It is a Digital brand and supposedly has a no-solder connector. I will let you know how that goes - should get to it pretty soon.