Trolling plate advice for a 90 hp outboard

Hi, I recently purchased a tracker boat with a 90 hp motor and I would like to salmon fish with it. Any advice on how to slow it down? I was told to get a trolling plate, however the one at Cabela's didnt have good reviews at all. I did find one called the Happy Troller, that did'nt look too bad. Any thoughts?

Happy Troller has worked great for me for the past 3 years. I know trolling bags are probably the best, but didn't like the idea of something extra in the water while I was trying to Learn how to fish... Be careful, all trolling plates like to break as soon as you forget they are down...

Agree with the bags. If you want to try a cheap alternative just take 2 five gallon buckets and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Drill 2 holes just below the strength ring on the top part of the bucket for ropes. Tie the buckets up and put it on cleats in the boat. Throw them overboard and see what happens.

With me, it did awesome at slowing it down and surprisingly made the boat much more stable. My plan was to try this and graduate to trolling bags, but the buckets work so well that I haven't decided to spend the extra money on the bags.

I ran a Happy Troller on my 24 Sporty for many years. Loved it !

If you are going to run bags, try to hook them so when in the water, the bags are at the mid ships point on your boat.

This will keep them out of your way when fighting and netting fish.

i guess to each his own, and wouldnt knock anybodies way of fishing. but i,ve used the bags and didnt like them myself as well as the plates. i also used the happy troller and forgot to bring it up. ended up with a bent plate. had to use a 10 ton jack and motorhome to get it straight. i even used the one from cabelas, but it just sheared to many pins.

i now use the easy troll. its hinged in the middle and is spring loaded so if you do happen to forget to bring it up it just swings back instead of bending. for me its the only way to go. they even have one with hydro foils if you want them. i have a set of trim tab/trolling motors on mine so i didnt need the hydro foil. i have a 21 ft cobia with a 350 vortec 320 hp and this plate works great for me. you can google easy troll and find them for around 99.00 without the hydro foil, alittle higher with the hydro foil.

i really dont know what more to tell you, some of us like the plates and some guys like the bags. then there are the guys that will only use kicker motors. i,ve even done that a few times. but for me the plate was just the simple way to get the job done. the main thing i will say is if you try the plate the easy troll is the one to try. just in case you have a brain fart.LOL.

sherman

I ran a Happy Troller on my 24 Sporty for many years. Loved it !

If you are going to run bags, try to hook them so when in the water, the bags are at the mid ships point on your boat.

This will keep them out of your way when fighting and netting fish.

That's the name of the one I had. EasyTroller, was hinged in the middle.

you might try boatersworld.com, i think that is the name of the site where i found them for 99.00 and i think 134.00 with the hydro foil fins. to me i didnt like the looks of the hydro foil fins. but i guess they help get you on plane quicker.

sherman

you might try boatersworld.com, i think that is the name of the site where i found them for 99.00 and i think 134.00 with the hydro foil fins. to me i didnt like the looks of the hydro foil fins. but i guess they help get you on plane quicker.

sherman[/quote

thats boatersoutlet.com

sorry

you might try boatersoutlet.com, i think that is the name of the site where i found them for 99.00 and i think 134.00 with the hydro foil fins. to me i didnt like the looks of the hydro foil fins. but i guess they help get you on plane quicker.

sherman

i had put boatersworld.com, it was boatersoutlet.com. sorry!

sherman

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at your avatar. You may be able to use your Minn Kota to troll with, depending on conditions and how much stuff you're pulling. Another thought would be to use buckets, save your money and purchase a used kicker motor. Good Luck.

I had fished a few boats with the Trol-A-Matic Spring Loaded Nylon Trolling Plate which is spring loaded. Comes up when u hit gas, drops down when going slow. No bending if u hit gas. I always thought they were good but dont see a lot out there. No fuss

Hi, I recently purchased a tracker boat with a 90 hp motor and I would like to salmon fish with it. Any advice on how to slow it down? I was told to get a trolling plate, however the one at Cabela's didnt have good reviews at all. I did find one called the Happy Troller, that did'nt look too bad. Any thoughts?

they have a upgraded plate at cabelas. i dont know if its any better than the old one. i have used the old one, and really liked the way its made and how it works. but the old ones just shear the pins to much. you can get way to much money tied up in pins. if they got that fixed i would probably use one. cabelas has a good return policy. so if you get one and it starts shearing pins just return it. but until i get more reviews on them, i,ll stick to my easy troll. i know what they will do. and they take just seconds to use and store. put your boat in neutral pul cord put back in gear. give just alittle gas to lock it in the up position. then your trolling. when you get done put in neutral pull cord put back in gear and give it just alittle gas to make sure its released. then just take off, the plate will come on up and latch in place. if you do happen to give it alittle gas without putting the plate up, the bottom half is hinged and will swing up and not bend. i have a few old man brain farts, so i have forgotten to put it up a couple of times. didnt hurt anything. knock on wood, hasnt hurt anything yet.LOL.

i even have one on my 15 ft tri hull 115 hp boat. has to really slow boat down for crappie and walleye. as long as i troll i,ll use the easy troll unless they get a better mouse trap.LOL.

sherman

please let us all know which way you decide to go. and how that works out for you.

I had a couple of the the plastic ones, and the problem with those are if you hit the throttle too hard in reverse it will chew up the plate. The other issue I had was the springs weren't stiff enough, the plate would not slow me down enough and I found out the plate was creeping up, so I went back to the Happy Troller. With the lastest boat I got I'm going to try a single bag off the transom, we will see how that works.

Tom