Cleaning smoke damaged tackle

I had 80% of my salmon and walleye tackle damaged in a fire.

Most of it is burned and melted so I threw all that stuff away.

Now I have some spoons and other misc tackle that was not on the shelf, that has smoke damage.

Do you guys think I can save it or just toss it and start over. Most of it has heavy smoke soot covering it.

And any ideas what I could try to wash it with as I don't think smoke sent is a very hot seller on the lakes.

Also I had to toss all my rods as the tips melted and broke, and i am going to clean all the reels as they have very light smoke damage. So any opinion on reel cleaning would help.

Thanks Steve

The soot covering left from the fire will be acidic so the sooner you can get it off the better. If it sits to long the metal will start pitting. The spoons with tape may not clean up very well since the tape will hold onto the smoke smell. After you clean them put them in a zip lock bag for a while. After you have been out of the house and cleansed your sense of smell open the bag and smell to see if if they have any smoke smell left on them. For the reels I would tear them down as far as you could and wipe everything down using a multipurpose cleaner.

I was up last night wiping what I could off but and I probably won't get to really clean them till this weekend as I have the house to take care of first. I have enough stuff to fish with that was unharmed so if I can't get them clean I just start over. Just like most fisherman I had enough stuff to run a small charter boat so I guess its kind of like a spring cleaning

Sorry for the fire, had one myself and it's a horrible deal all the way around. I personally would toss it all. Scent is a huge deal, even if you can't smell it salmon sure can. Anything that can swim around in Lake Michigan and come back 4 years later to the same rock it was bourne under has a pretty good nose. Smoke is one of the worst scents for repeling fish, IMHO.

Steve,

I've been thru a house fire, it sucks.

items you really want to keep have them put in an ozone room for a week or so. most of the restoration companys have these. it will remove the smoke from most items, we were able to save some of our items this way.

really sorry to hear about your fire. its a bad thing, just be thankful nobody got hurt. you can always get new gear. but you just cant replace a loved one.

as for the cleaning, after you try all the normal stuff, if it still needs more cleaning try fingernail polish remover. back before they made the inline muzzleloaders we would use it to clean all the oil out of our barrels the night before we went hunting(stopped misfires). it smells for awhile but it goes away and dries real good. the deer couldnt smell it. i,ve had deer all around me after cleaning my gun with it. just clean your stuff and let it air out real good. and it may not even work. and hopefully the soap and water will do the job. have a great season.

....sherman....

Steve if u had homeowners insurance they should replace any lost or ruined tackle. Talk to your insurance agent and file a claim. That is what u pay premiums for. As far as cleaning goes Lemon Joy is the best bet I can think of.

Dont use lemon joy use Dawn Concentrated. It is what is used for removing oil off roads when they scrub the roads after an accident. The concentrated stuff is just like what the FD uses except they get it in commercial 55 gallon drums. That stuff will clean anything. We divers would use that stuff when we went out to help the FD on an accident. I would mix up a batch and get them soaking as soon as you can.

Steve, sorry for all your losses.. what a bummer. If you need anything let us know... Sorry, I am no good with cleaning ideas or lawyers, but just wanted to say thanks for your help with reports and if you need anything holler!

if you have a contrack to buy the place and you put ins on it. it should cover it. unless you just got renters ins. then it only covers your belongings. but like the other guys. if you do have ins that dont want to pay off. get a lawyer. NOW!! i had a rental once that burned. i had rental ins on it. i got paid for the house. my renters didnt have ins they didnt get anything. but it was my brother and his son. so i took part of my money and gave them 8000.00 to help them out. talk to a lawyer. if you have a contract to buy you may still have to honor that contract.

....sherman....

I have used coca cola to clean up lures before, but you do not want to leave them soak for too long. It does a pretty good job. I recommend to try it on one lure and go from there.

the problem with this is 3 out 0f 4 salmon prefer pepsi..:grin: j/k

Here is my Mom and Dads lawyer in northville. They have been using him for a long time and he has done them real well. Tell him Carol Holoway sent you to him and he'll help you out. I'm still waiting for my cousin to call me back.

J.D Ledbetter Attorneys at law

734-927-1101

sorry to hear about the fire.. As far as cleaning the lures im a big fan of Mean Grean cleaners,as far as smell goes ,I too would be concerned ,but, I watched a charter captian last year use super glue to hold down spoon tape that was lifting off.He lit a smoke after smoked half of it and threw lure back in water and he had another fish on before he could finish that smoke! And that spoon was hot all morning???? I wouldnt have believed it had I not saw for myself. Hope all workes out for you and your family

Steve, sorry for all your losses.. what a bummer. If you need anything let us know... Sorry, I am no good with cleaning ideas or lawyers, but just wanted to say thanks for your help with reports and if you need anything holler!

Yeah it looks like my D river fishing is done for the year as my trolling motor and all my jigging rods were melted except 1. but my jigs in the water proof floating case are good still.

And to think I laughed at my wife when she bought me that case:lol:

:

sorry to hear about the fire.. As far as cleaning the lures im a big fan of Mean Grean cleaners,as far as smell goes ,I too would be concerned ,but, I watched a charter captian last year use super glue to hold down spoon tape that was lifting off.He lit a smoke after smoked half of it and threw lure back in water and he had another fish on before he could finish that smoke! And that spoon was hot all morning???? I wouldnt have believed it had I not saw for myself. Hope all workes out for you and your family

My dad smokes like an old chevy to as he handles lures.

It looks like I am trashing everything and using my fathers gear till I rebuild with my yearly bonus.

Or maybe I should just hock it all on craigs list;):lol::D:lol:

OK first thing she said to do is call the insurance company and request a complete copy of your insurance policy. I will pm you tomorrow She is goging to talk with her husband and a couple other attorneys will call me tomorrow with who is the best to help you in your area.

I had 80% of my salmon and walleye tackle damaged in a fire.

Most of it is burned and melted so I threw all that stuff away.

Now I have some spoons and other misc tackle that was not on the shelf, that has smoke damage.

Do you guys think I can save it or just toss it and start over. Most of it has heavy smoke soot covering it.

And any ideas what I could try to wash it with as I don't think smoke sent is a very hot seller on the lakes.

Also I had to toss all my rods as the tips melted and broke, and i am going to clean all the reels as they have very light smoke damage. So any opinion on reel cleaning would help.

Thanks Steve

hey steve

you may or may not save your tackle. but you sure have alot of concerned people on here that just wish you nothing but the best. and were all thankful nobody got hurt. you will be in our prawers and thoughts. please keep us posted. if you need a good bow mount remote/foot controlled motor or man riggers with 8# weights to help get you back in the game, let me know. and i will find out just what i need to do to sell on here. i have a power drive i believe 42 lb that was mounted for awhile but never put in the water. for you because of the fire i would take 200.00. it has the remote added and a quick mount also. on the 2 riggers they are cannon easy troll manual with weights 125.00 for all. i may even have a few spoons that i dont use anymore that you might want. cheap!! we would have to meet someplace to do sale. i live in east central indiana. would drive as far as 150 or 200 miles for 25.00 for gas. less than that i will do for free. im not sure but i think i need to pay a 20.00 fee to sell on here. i wont actualy sell untill i pay fee. if someone will let me know how to pay the fee please give detailed instructions. as i am alittle computer dence. have a better season.

....sherman....