Salmon & Trout Jigging

I have checked this out on you tube and it looks like fun. Has anyone done this with any luck. What weight jig head and it looks like they are using a large white twister tail. Am I correct? If anyone has had any luck doing this please inform me on the set up that works I would like to try it this summer.

This is the way I first started fishing Lake Michigan. You talk about fun! 17lb test line a spinning real and a 18 to 20 lb king on the end of the line. Fighting a fish for what seems like a half hour. just when you think you got um in they take off again.

Eric Haataja Does this a lot . Right in the gaps of the break wall.

Its a blast.

• 1 month later...

have had luck ripping heavy jigging spoons in the Fingerlakes and in the St. Lawrence when fish are deeper that 60ft. Walleye and Lakers. lots of luck with a 1.5oz head and white super fluke or a paddle tail shad body also. Using a thin diameter braid is key for getting down in the 100 - 120ft range and still effectively setting the hook. The biggest Lakers seem to come off bottom on jigs anymore.

I used to jig/bob some reefs on Superior out of Marquette. I would try to stay as vertical as possible while still covering water, which can be difficult in 100-150 FOW. I used a 3oz fish shaped keel weight as a jig, it has an eye on the top side of the weight and a chain off the rear. I put a treble off the rear chain and a hunk cut bait on that. Next time I make it up there, I plan on modifying the keel weight jig and putting a blade between the weight and hook, where the chain would be. This will create a little extra vibration down there.

I used braid with a 10ft fluoro. leader. The braid was a necessity to get a solid hook set in that deep of water.