Tectan fishing line

Any of you salmon fisherman have any experience with Tectan fishing line for trolling with boards mostly? This past winter I had set my boat up for trolling inlines, with rods holding 12lb Vicious line with the dia. of 0.013 which is equal to 10lb. As most of you know that line diameter is critical for precision trolling accuracy. What I'm trying to do is get a line for two applications spring/fall salmon and Walleye without swapping lines or getting new reels. Today I had two kings just pull and snap my line like nothing. Granted I originally set up for walleye.

This is where I'm hoping to get some thought on Tectan premium plus line that has a 26lb rating with a 10lb dia. (0.137).

Open to suggestions thanks for reading GOODLUCK..........

wtf are u running 12 lb for with boards for kings.....use strait 20 and if you wanna get cute spice in some 15 lb flouro for a leader....and if you use techtan make sure its the blue grey stuff and not the extra limp its a excellent line and if your worried about depth just pinch on a split shot or 5.... 4-5 feet above your lure.....works nicely for weeds too.....the trollers hand book is a nice reference but it isnt god and ne thing under 20lb with riggers or boards is just ridiculous even for walleye....the reason 12lb is recomended on there is.......lure manufactures like to sell stuff to people who take it literally......i use strait 20 for walleye too and i dont have depth issues.

I'd like to help you with some useful information rather than bashing.

Precision trolling is essential in many areas. I dont know much about the actual line itself, but i can hopefully give you some insight.

What most of the multi-purpose boats will do is load their reels with a heavier line. Say a 20 or 25# line like Ande or big game. These are the common line test and brands for salmon fishing around the state. The easiest thing to do is make up some relatively long leaders with a super small two way on one end. As long as 100ft, depending on your desired leader lengths behind your bored. These leaders can be anything you want, but practical for walleye. We have extremely clear water here and go from the 25# Ande to 8 or 10 lb flouro, or my favorite brand of line, Maxima.

When not using the walleye leaders take a swimming noodle and wrap the line around it. (there are also specific gadgets made just for this, although much more expensive.) Tie it up, and you have perfectly made up, reusable leader for every time you want to switch species! Much easier than re-spooling everytime. IMO, there is no magical perfect line that can help you be as productive as you'd like to be with multiple species. Hope this helps and goodluck out there!

hey

since the price of floro has came down so much the last few years i use 20# floro on my riggers for walleye. and i use 20# floro for my leaders with my braid on my divers for walleye. you just dont need the lite line for trolling for eyes. i would guess the light line has its place when finess fishing for eyes. but i do just fine using the 20# floro lines. just another opinion. have a great season.

....sherman....

wtf are u running 12 lb for with boards for kings.....use strait 20 and if you wanna get cute spice in some 15 lb flouro for a leader....and if you use techtan make sure its the blue grey stuff and not the extra limp its a excellent line and if your worried about depth just pinch on a split shot or 5.... 4-5 feet above your lure.....works nicely for weeds too.....the trollers hand book is a nice reference but it isnt god and ne thing under 20lb with riggers or boards is just ridiculous even for walleye....the reason 12lb is recomended on there is.......lure manufactures like to sell stuff to people who take it literally......i use strait 20 for walleye too and i dont have depth issues.

My attentions where to troll walleyes when setting up my boat, till I got wind of Cohos being cough in Lower Huron and read that these fish can be had with walleye gear. You should know that cohos don't fight. I had no Idea that I would ever hook into a King. I didn't even know what lb line to use.

Anyway I'm just going to put a test to the Tectan line. If that fails I'll brake down and get spare reels spooled with 20lbs and put Sunline 16lb/10 dia on for my walleye.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess trail and error is part of learning. GOODLUCK....

My attentions where to troll walleyes when setting up my boat, till I got wind of Cohos being cough in Lower Huron and read that these fish can be had with walleye gear. You should know that cohos don't fight. I had no Idea that I would ever hook into a King. I didn't even know what lb line to use.

Anyway I'm just going to put a test to the Tectan line. If that fails I'll brake down and get spare reels spooled with 20lbs and put Sunline 16lb/10 dia on for my walleye.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess trail and error is part of learning. GOODLUCK....

If coho reached 20# u would never land them, they will pound for pound fight as hard as a steelhead. The do like to roll and make a mess if u get into bigger ones. I grew up on the Columbia River Watershed in Washington state, and we did get some 15# Silvers that were tackle busters. Now for the line diameter issue try using 30# power Pro braid for the diameter u want then use about 60 feet of 20# fluoro carbon leader. Be sure to use leader specified fluoro carbon as the bulk line is not as consistent. I had some issues with it and went to the leader material and solved the problems. If u have trouble keeping the inline board hooked up on braid try using a loop and rubberband to hook it on.

I agree with using 20lb for boards, if the fish doesn't break your line, any diving of a planer board will. As for depth precision, I have never noticed a difference in how deep or effective any of my rigs are with 20 lb test vs 25 lb. If it made an inch of running depth I'd be surprised.

I was under the impression that many baits would lose action with heavier lines hinting the reason behind the usage of lighter lines for walleye. I'm not only relying on the depth of the baits but the action as well. Is this true and how about when I run my smaller 2 1/4" spoons?

I like the idea of what Supertramps talking about braid lines. But do worry about the line cutting into the eyes of my rods, which I had happen back when spider wire was new.

I guess there are many variables in choosing line. Now comes the fun part the choice. I appreciate everyone input and will keep them in mind. But think I'll start with Tectan mono 26lb with a 10lb dia seem like best choice for now. I just cant believe a small diameter high strength mono line exist. This was one of the reasons I had opened this thread to see if anyone was familiar with this stuff. Thanks and GOODLUCK.........

.....and that wasnt bashing its just common sence.....and 40 years of experience trying and using bout every thing there is......and the line wont affect the lure action...on lighter lures and cranks use a dubro snap and again a blood knot will quickly and efficiently connect ne lighter leader you wanna put on there.....just make sure that your connection points ie releases boards ect. have the heavier gauge line connecting them.....on my copper and leadcore rods i usally put in a 20 foot piece of 50lb between the power pro backing and the copper or core....as my connection point..this works very nicely and doesn't cut into and wear the releases as much. And for browns in the sping and walleye i use strait 20 and splice in 15lb flouro works very nicely.

Edited by Seawolf XI
sp

I was under the impression that many baits would lose action with heavier lines hinting the reason behind the usage of lighter lines for walleye. I'm not only relying on the depth of the baits but the action as well. Is this true and how about when I run my smaller 2 1/4" spoons?

I like the idea of what Supertramps talking about braid lines. But do worry about the line cutting into the eyes of my rods, which I had happen back when spider wire was new.

I guess there are many variables in choosing line. Now comes the fun part the choice. I appreciate everyone input and will keep them in mind. But think I'll start with Tectan mono 26lb with a 10lb dia seem like best choice for now. I just cant believe a small diameter high strength mono line exist. This was one of the reasons I had opened this thread to see if anyone was familiar with this stuff. Thanks and GOODLUCK.........

i dont really know anything about the tectan line but it sounds pretty good. i thought i would try to give you a tip on using small spoons with heavy line. you may already know all this stuff. but i feel its better to hear something again than to not know. but i do like someone elce said i use braid line then use a blood knot and tie on to 20@ floro leader. then with small spoons well i do it with all spoons. i use a snap or split ring on my spoons. that way the heavy line doesnt affect the spoon action. or i dont think it does. and you probably know more about this than i do but i,ll throw it in for good measure. im just guessing the tectan line is a low streatch line. if it is you want to be sure and back the drag off just alittle extra for those hard hits. i use some of the lighter braids for night fishing. and after a few break offs when setting the hook, i learned to back the drag off alittle. just a thought. good luck and thanks for bringing that tectan line to my attension. i want to check it out myself, for night time river fishing. have a great season.

....sherman....

All of the suggestions will work, the most important thing to remember is that u have to get some experience and find what presentations work for you. I use 20# Ande on all my spring reels and 25# Flea Flicker for later in the season just because I dont like getting my rigger lines filled up with sea fleas. The depth that you get is effected more than lure action by using heavier lines. My Power pro Dipsey presentations get deeper than mono Presentations and my wire dipseys really dive. Its a matter of drag. Just use the leader material and break strength u find works for you.