Jump to content

Fire detectors ( home)


sjk984

Recommended Posts

IF you have not checked yours lately please check them now.

We had a fire at our home that totaled the inside and while it was not our detector that saved us had we been sleeping it would have been our only warning. The fire started in a back bedroom and when I first dsaw it it was very small on a wall and mattress by the time I made to the kitchen for water and backl to the bedroom the fire had engulfed the mattress and was up the wall and all ove the floor. So It was time to get the kids and wife out.

While I called 911 on my cell I got brekly PD and they had to transfer me to Royal oak. The fire dept was there with in 10min of the call and were excellent with the kids.

Thanks Steve Kelly and Family

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IF you have not checked yours lately please check them now.

We had a fire at our home that totaled the inside and while it was not our detector that saved us had we been sleeping it would have been our only warning. The fire started in a back bedroom and when I first dsaw it it was very small on a wall and mattress by the time I made to the kitchen for water and backl to the bedroom the fire had engulfed the mattress and was up the wall and all ove the floor. So It was time to get the kids and wife out.

While I called 911 on my cell I got brekly PD and they had to transfer me to Royal oak. The fire dept was there with in 10min of the call and were excellent with the kids.

Thanks Steve Kelly and Family

Sorry to hear about the Fire, but am glad to hear no one was hurt. The other thing to think about is proper placement of the detectors themselves. Awareness is key:thumb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your fire Steve, it's good you were able to catch it rather quickly and nobody was hurt. The cleanup after a fire can be a pain, I hope the insurance company and restoration company are taking good care of you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sounds crazy but we've had 3 neighbors houses burn to the ground within a year. All within 4 houses of us and all electrical. We were smelling a weird smell for a while (not me for once)then a cord melted. Turned out the smell was an outlet box. The smell was the resin. Fire chief came with a thermal imager and you could follow the heat in the wall. Turned out to be a bad outlet arcing out and creating heat. We were close to being house 4 to burn down. Be sure to replace all you're loose outlets to avoid arcing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Very scary stuff.

as you realized personally, a fire can double in size every minute or so. Not sure if it even crossed your mind or not in the heat of the moment but shutting the door in a situation like that can hold a fire back for quite a long time.

Good rule of thumb is to change the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks in the spring/fall. makes it more of a routine and easier to remember. Sounds like it probably would not have mattered in your case, but its also a good idea to have a fire extinguisher or two in your home. we all have them on our boats, why not our homes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny I did remember to shut the door and they said it saved a lot of heat damage. But the smoke ruined all of our stuff.

We were leasing the house as we looked in the area for a new home. And I just found out today that when we changed insurance companies in FEB they never put renters on the insurance. I missed it when I reviewed the policy before I singed it. What a mess up on my part. The land lord said she would see what she could get covered under her insurance since it was a building prob So we are hopping for the best

Thanks to everyone that has offered help it really means a lot to the whole family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny I did remember to shut the door and they said it saved a lot of heat damage. But the smoke ruined all of our stuff.

We were leasing the house as we looked in the area for a new home. And I just found out today that when we changed insurance companies in FEB they never put renters on the insurance. I missed it when I reviewed the policy before I singed it. What a mess up on my part. The land lord said she would see what she could get covered under her insurance since it was a building prob So we are hopping for the best

Thanks to everyone that has offered help it really means a lot to the whole family.

Wow Steve, sorry to hear that. I hope everything gets straightened out. It is very good news that no one in your family was harmed. Best of luck to ya!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks We were able to get enough cloths from the laundry room that were hardly touched. We have enough to get settled and start getting new stuff. Hopefully when we are able to get back in we can get some of the pics and other non replacables.

Thanks We really appreciate all the offers. Steve, Heidi, Mackenzie, Hunter, Morgan & Logan Kelly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear of your fire, they can be devastating. (We had a shop fire in 1974)

Glad to hear that your family is safe, that is the most important thing of all.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...