Crossbow Question

GLF

My son will be 10 this year and is excited about being able to hunt deer with a crossbow. I currently do not own one.

I am looking for recommendations for a crossbow. For those of you who have a crossbow, what do you have, and how do you like it?

Thanks!

I have an Excalibur Equinox and really like it. Recurve limbs eliminate potential problems with cams/cables. Easy to work on in the field if necessary. Fast, durable, and light weight. The bow is awkward to carry and handle due the limbs sticking out on each side. I customized my quiver mount and added the sts silencer system which helps tame the noise. My wife killed a nice buck with it last year and I took a nice buck in Oklahoma with it. It will not replace my long bow or mathews but it is another tool that I can use if I want to..

LindsBuck.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

i aslo have a excal no issues at all love how basic it is

i had the horton at first and it seemed the cams were messed up on it one shot right on then the next 4 ich appart was told the cam was sticking not sure

Have had the excal for three yeas now no issues sighting it in but havent seen a deer yet but i cant say that the bow issue

Excal had a site with a fourm on it you will be able to get more info if you need it

Best of luck l

I have an Excalibur as well and although I do like it, I would not recommend it for a 10 year old. It is big and bulky for even me to carry and shoot. I would get him into a pro shop and have him try out a few and let him decide. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I have an Excalibur as well and although I do like it, I would not recommend it for a 10 year old. It is big and bulky for even me to carry and shoot. I would get him into a pro shop and have him try out a few and let him decide. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I agree.. my wife has a hard time holding it up and has to use a tripod.. takes her a long time to get the bow setup and on target..I can't say that I would buy a youth crossbow though but I guess that is up to you. Depending on how big your boy is he most likely will not be able to cock it without the cocking aid..

Another benefit to the Excal bows is that you can use the cocking string to let the limbs down after the hunt.. No need to shoot the bow after each hunt!

I shoot an old Horton Super Mag. 150# draw weight. I have owned it for the past 9 years and love it. I have killed a bunch of deer with it.

I have no problem with a 50 yard shot. Pass thru with Rage 2 blades, they don't got more than 20-30 yards.

Best bet, get him into a shop and have him try out a few different models. See what fits him and what your comfortable spending on it.

Only another 10 years and my grandson will be ready for his first one.

I have a couple year old horton. If i was considering a new one i like the new horton lite weights or i would look at wicked ridge made by ten point. From talking to the guys at the ten point booth there is no sacrafice in quality for a lesser expensive bow.

• 5 weeks later...