sebewaing walleye

Hi, everyone I am new to this site and just bought my first new boat and 2011 tracker targa. I plan on trying some walleye fishing on the weekend of may 15th. Any suggestions. I generally go in June and fish the slot, or between north island and the sand point bouy. A few years ago we were catching them inside the bay on the south side of sand point. I have never fished this early in the spring and was wondering where i should target my efforts.

thanks for the info

Welcome to the site.

I will be up there also.

Start out to the south (south of fish point). Early I run harnesses on BB in 10-14' At around 1.0 on the GPS. If I am geeting alot of sheepshead I pick the BB off the bottom about a foot or so and speed up. I will be launching out of sunset or thomas marina as they have a shorter run to the lake and fishing grounds. If you are really getting a lot of fish you can switch to cranks and you won't get as many sheads.

Steve

blade runner on 68

Welcome to the site.

I will be up there also.

Start out to the south (south of fish point). Early I run harnesses on BB in 10-14' At around 1.0 on the GPS. If I am geeting alot of sheepshead I pick the BB off the bottom about a foot or so and speed up. I will be launching out of sunset or thomas marina as they have a shorter run to the lake and fishing grounds. If you are really getting a lot of fish you can switch to cranks and you won't get as many sheads.

Steve

blade runner on 68

thanks for the info yeah sheep of the deep can be a problem. I BB and crawlers, i wasnt sure if they still took harnesses early on.

thanks

how are those marinas, sunset and thomas. We went out of Beedle Bay last year and barely got out. Hit a rock with the prop, too. We've got a 23' ProLine with a 350 Mercruiser. Looking for some deeper water to go out in. We had a ball though fishing Wildfowl Bay. It was Memorial weekend. 4 man limit in about 3 hours of fishing. We were drift fishing crawler harnesses.

Last year a saw a 30' cabin crusier in sunset and I was out of there 1 time late in the season Channel was 3-4 deep but I was in 5' of water about 500' from shore/ And it is primarly sandy. I have never been out of thomas but the have a few larger boats there as well.

That sure beats out of sebewaing a mile and a half thruogh the bouys.

how are those marinas, sunset and thomas. We went out of Beedle Bay last year and barely got out. Hit a rock with the prop, too. We've got a 23' ProLine with a 350 Mercruiser. Looking for some deeper water to go out in. We had a ball though fishing Wildfowl Bay. It was Memorial weekend. 4 man limit in about 3 hours of fishing. We were drift fishing crawler harnesses.

I usually go out of bay shore 1 mile north of bayport then head out past north island and head south. I know in the past larger boats 23-28 feet are in and out of the marina.

Welcome Shawn,,,

Bayshore would be a OK bet, I have done good at Thomas early, but sunset may be your best bet on the south end of the slot with crawler meat, also sunset has some good deals going the last I heard, and thomas has changed to a yearly launch only? NO daily don't know why!

Good luck with what ever you do, I be on the side of the dirt at Harbor Beach Can to Can turnament

if you do want to go out near wildfowl bay there is a small slot by the the sailboat bouy it's always worth checking out early in the year and from the weather so far may 15 will be early. if you cant get them to go on colorado blades try some small 3 or 4 willows :thumb:

Welcome Shawn. I fish out of Quanicassee most of the time, but get up to Sebewing a few times each year, mostly for the very cool fun tournys they run over there, great time. From anywheres on that side you can reach most of the really good East side hotspots with a manageable run. Early on, the lower end of the slot will be very hot. As the water warms, typically the fish move out past the outer bar and into the deeper water. That whole deep basin from 1 & 2 to the slot is always good fishing, so you will do fine out of Sebewing. Give me a shout, I always give up the goods, lots of fish to go around.

Welcome Shawn. I fish out of Quanicassee most of the time, but get up to Sebewing a few times each year, mostly for the very cool fun tournys they run over there, great time. From anywheres on that side you can reach most of the really good East side hotspots with a manageable run. Early on, the lower end of the slot will be very hot. As the water warms, typically the fish move out past the outer bar and into the deeper water. That whole deep basin from 1 & 2 to the slot is always good fishing, so you will do fine out of Sebewing. Give me a shout, I always give up the goods, lots of fish to go around.

Thanks i will pm you when the time gets closer, we definetly need some warm weather for the next month.

Shawn, A warm welcome to the GLF site. I fish the West side of Saginaw Bay mostly out of AuGres. I fished the East side of the Bay a little. Most of the time I pull B.B. and harnesses. I do change up if the fish tell me to do so. I fish Mon-Fri but will do a weekend if the weather or someone forces me to do so.:lol: There is no place I'd rather be than on that water. We are so fortunate to have these great resources in our back yards.:) Holler if you need any help.

:welcome:

Sunset bay is a short channel, You want to ask on depth. Last spring it was shallow first part of season. The last three seasons i have started in Quanicasee and as the water warms up gradually work north. I was fishing out in front of sunset bay by memorial day, but with the cold spring , dont think i will be that far north yet. maybe season wont crash mid july like last year.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the programs I described were mostly off shore and deeper areas. When the water heats up, don't overlook the weedbeds in shallow. With your boat, you will be able to put together a pretty stealthy shallow water weed bed presentation, catching fish that us deeper water guys drive right by on our way out. A good example is that when the fishing went dead last summer for 90 percent of guys, the fish were still being caught by the guys willing to tough it out in the weeds.

• 1 month later...