Torpedo Weights

I have been thinking about buying a set of 12oz cudas for this season and was wondering how far do they get to the side. I know this is impossible to measure exactly but how do they compare to a mag dipsey on a 1 2 or 3 setting. I basically would like to know if I could fit then between my riggers and high divers without any issues. I fish out of a 20 foot boat and love my dipseys but the always seem to go dead shortly after daylight. I feel that using the stealth of the toredos should catch a few more fish once the sun is higher in the sky. Thanks in advance.

You can have a lead length however long you want, Torpedo recommends 50 most of the time for stealth. I think it goes out to the side like a standard Dipsy set on 3 (DIRECTIONAL ONLY), exact distance depends how far out it is. In your case, you can definitely sneak one between rigger and high diver and until you get about 30 ft or so the diver curve is like 1:1 for line out vs depth gained. Very effective at the preditor ambush position that Keating talks about. Gets kinda dicey in high waves though.

dipseys are 10-12 ft leads which is about max without netting issues. Seems that later in the morning the lines off the boards account for about 75% of the fish caught. I figured this is related to their stealth compared to riggers and dipseys. Although riggers with long leads and swr's still produce.

dipseys are 10-12 ft leads which is about max without netting issues. Seems that later in the morning the lines off the boards account for about 75% of the fish caught. I figured this is related to their stealth compared to riggers and dipseys. Although riggers with long leads and swr's still produce.

have you checked into the lite bite slide divers?? you can run the lead as long as you want. then when its tripped it slides down your line to the swivel. there great, you can check them out at slidediver.com. there all i use for divers because of the lite bite feature. but they should be great for you. check them out.

....sherman....

I have looked at them a little bit but in the place of mag dipseys on wire I think torpedos would acheive greater depths more effectively when its necessary. Thanks for the reply it is a possibility.

im not familar with the torpedors. but i know you can get the weight kits and the rings. and use the 4 oz weight and the big ring. you can get deep pretty fast. and still have the advantage of setting the leads as long or as short as the fish want. and the light bites also have the trip arm for smaller fish. and at slidedivers.com in the left hand corner you can choose what you want to look at. and they have package deals that come with the extra weights and the rings and extra hardware and a diving chart, but the chart is just for the standard diver. but the best way to get your depth is to get in like 50 ft of water and your normal speed and let them out untill they bump bottom. then just devide your feet out by your depth. that will tell you how many feet deep you get for 10 ft out. i would guess you would need to do it on each setting out on the diver. i know the depth on my diver on 4 setting is 240 ft out runs 65 ft deep with the standard weight with the small ring with 65 lb braid. i just set the outside diver on a 4 setting and then run my 3 setting 20 ft shorter then my 2 setting 20 ft shorter than that one then my 1 setting 20 ft shorter then 0 setting 20 ft shorter. this works great for me. and i never change my speed more than .5 mph so my divers are going to be close. even with downriggers your off some on the counters because of blowback,right?? just something to think about. i just want to go fishing. if you decide to use the lite bite divers and there is anything i can help you with. just ask. i,ll help anybody catch more fish. unless they are just that 10% and i know it.LOL. have a great season.

....sherman....

I stay in Sturgeon bay, when in Algoma do you stay at Big lake campground? If you do look up my good friend Tony Castle, he does torpedo's extremely well under alot of conditions. I have a full set and with all the reports I have heard will be in my spread come this summer.

I stay in Sturgeon bay, when in Algoma do you stay at Big lake campground? If you do look up my good friend Tony Castle, he does torpedo's extremely well under alot of conditions. I have a full set and with all the reports I have heard will be in my spread come this summer.

That's exactly where I got my education with Torpedo divers. Tony is the frickin master with those things.

Just use 1 lb balls or dont bend the fins on the torpedos......1lb ball 2$ 12 oz torpedo $20 the choice is obv

No, it's really not an obvious choice. Check Midwestshooters in Lomira, you can get Torpdeo divers at a steal. lb balls and Torpedo's are completely different presentations, the only thing similar is that both weights are made of lead, that's about it.

No, it's really not an obvious choice. Check Midwestshooters in Lomira, you can get Torpdeo divers at a steal. lb balls and Torpedo's are completely different presentations, the only thing similar is that both weights are made of lead, that's about it.

um there both a peice of lead on a fishing line.....its old school presentation with a new twist.....and there hard to get out with a standard modern day trolling spread......yah if you gonna just run torpedos great way to fish but if your running 15+ rods where do you put em in you spread with out getting them into everything......and if you rig up a 1 or 2 lb ball with a leader and a snap release at the end of a foot or to of line whats the difference between a strait running torpedo and a 1lb ball....oh i know 5 feet with 250 feet of line out.....and you can run them inside your divers without yanking you divers and your inner coppers......and ne weight over 8 oz isnt gonna run on a small board......and i promise you more tourneys have been won with 1-4lb ball then have been won on topedoes...im not knocking them there just not a super weapon.....

And my experience running both presentations is what tells me that they are not even close to being the same. The material they're made out of is where the similarities stop. Pump handle dive curves are nowhere near what a Torpedo diver curve is, and unless you rig the lb ball with an offshore clip and set it back a long way, they're not similar presentations. There is way more turbulence with a lb ball. Do some research and talk to the people who actually run both in a spread before you conclude that it's just the same s*** in a different pile.