Project boat.

sjk984

I decided to turn my fathers old donzi into a project boat.

We ran it last year 4 or 5 times fishing with a cracked block that was not leaking water. And then when we went to winterize it we found out that it need a boot job. So I take it in to get an estimate on getting everything including the engine. The estimnate with some gimbal bearing work and ujoints was 5100. Well that is about what I had budgeted for all my fishing thgis year.

Now I am toying with the idea of not getting the new engine till next year and getting everything else fixed and running it as long as the engine doesn't leak. I have a kicker as a back up incase it does fail. The marina said the engine runs great as they ran it for a few hours to check everything out.

Should I just bench the whole boat till next year or run it as long as it will with the expectation of a new engine next year.

Thanks Steve

I would not want to run the boat unless it was mechanically sound.

As things always seem to happen, the engine will fail at the absolute worst point that it could and then you'll be at the mercy of others. I would say that if you are questioning it, you probably know your answer already.

I would get it fixed up and back in good shape and prepare for next year. with the price of gas you won't be missing much this year.

Thats what I think I am going to do I have another boat that will get me threw this year anyways.

What really threw me off was the marina tech and manager saying that It was probably going to be ok as they saw no performance and operating issues.

Trying to get in on a kicker after the waves kick up isn't a challenge you want to risk. I would make sure all is good before you venture out.

YES , what Don said. Theres no reason to put you self or others at risk for the opertunity to fish.

Is it worth that much money if you fix it?

I paid $5,500 for my 78 Tiara 2000. With a new motor, fuel injection, top notch electronics, good outdrive, riggers, poles, net, and lures. Plus it's spotless. (see it in my pics)

Boats are big money pits. Some time it's better to buy one that some one else has spent a bunch on.

I agree with Nailer is it worth the 5,500 to fix it??? But on the other hand if you can turn a wrench and have a few free weekends you will save a ton of money, I have bought a few boats with bad floors stringers and froozen or cracked blocks and spent the time putting them back together. I have a few good friends that builds motors so for me a pro fresh rebuilt will cost me 1500 and for me to drop it in is not big deal, and the local marina will drop it in for 75 and hook and fire it for a extra 75 ,so that cuts the cost down right there,with the outdrives I do what I can and the marine do what I can't ,they figure a little money doing part of the job is better then no job or money at all.

luremaker