Autopilot installation question.

I have a new, still in the box Sport Pilot :cool: that came with my new to me boat I recently bought.

I hope it works! :D

It looks to be quite easy to hook up but I have questions about the location of the “Fluxgate Compassâ€.

Where do I mount it?:confused:

The installation manual said to mount:

-As close as possible to the pitch and roll center of the vessel.

-As far away as possible from large iron masses, such as the engine and other magnetic devices.

-At least 2ft 6in away from your vessel’s steering compass to avoid magnetic deviation of both compasses.

I would think the most stable spot would be near the helm but what about all the other electronics?

I have a nice, out of the way of everything, type spot right at the bow in the cuddy. Would that work?

As far as pitch and roll, that’s the worst spot I would think, but it’s away from everything.

Where is a location that it will work best at?

Thanks for the help!!!:thumb:

Mine is located below the cup holder by the dash board. It's about 5" up from the deck. When I got the boat it was located up high left of the galley door. It works much better down low.

Try to get it as close to the water line as possible, and as close to center as you can. The Sport Pilot work well, but don't expect to troll into 2-4' waves and have it hold course. They work much better with following sees. Also Trolling bags help the rocking motion so the compass isn't working so hard.

IMG_9174.jpg

I installed an X-5 in my boat last year and I put the fluxgate in the cabin below the floor of the main deck right in the center of the boat. My port-a-potty sits there and I was able to mount it pretty much even with the water line and 1/3 of the way from the front of the boat. I didn't have any issues with it. I wouldn't put it near any electronics or metal as there could be interference.

Thanks for the info and pics guys!

I’ve read that the Sport Pilot isn’t the world’s greatest autopilot.

Is it even worth drilling the holes to mount it?

It came with the boat, but I don’t think that particular unit would have been my first choice.

But, since the price was right, is it worth the effort to give it a try?

And…

It was mentioned not to mount the fluxgate near metal.

The boat is aluminum, is that going to make a difference on location?