why are you so anxious for this season

hey everybody

i know why im so anxious but would like to hear from you. heres my story

i started fishing the big water 30+ yrs ago. i started with 16 ft bt and homemade riggers. over the yrs ive used small boats and manual riggers and the cheapest tackle i could get by with. my health went bad about 8 yrs ago and i gave up big water fishing. 2 yrs ago my oldest son asked if he would do most of the work would i go with him and his family on vacation. so i went,and loved it. we went again last year. the biggest boat i,ve used was 21 ft. most of those yrs i used 16 to 18 ft boats. last fall i got some back pay on my disibility. i bought a new 1986 28 ft 10 ft wide sea ray amberjack boat with twin 4.3 mpi engines. i,ll have it rigged with 4 new big jon electric riggers with the new chamberlain releases. ratchet rod holders for my lite bite slide divers. which increased my catch 50% on my divers that i,ll be useing slidediver.com. got my metallic colors at allseasonssports.com. i,ve got a planer mast with custom duel boards. all line counter reels. and a box full of custom worm harnesses and spoons i got at galeforcetackle.com. and to top that off i,ll be fishing with my 2 sons and there famllies, and my brothers. some of you may think im just bragging. but im really not. i,ve paid my dues over the years. going down the chanel in my 16 to 18 ft boat and dreaming about those big boats passing me. all the beatings i,ve took out on the water to get to fish. well im just so anxious i feel like i,ve got worms in my butt. my dreams are finelly coming true. and i get to share that with my family. and that just makes it so much sweeter. i just look so forward to getting out their this year. i,ll be 60 yrs old in may, my boats name is last chance. because i figure it is my last chance. and if i dont die soon, my dream is coming true this year. now you know why. your story might not be as long as mine. but im sure we would all like to know why your looking forward to this season. wish me luck. and i wish all of you a great and safe season.

....sherman....

For me, it is my brother. We have hung out and he and I both love the outdoors greatly. We camp, hike, moutain bike, climb and enjoy just being outside. But my brother never picked up the passion for fishing as I have. Just last week, he called me and surprised the heck out of me by telling me he bought an all species fishing license and wants to catch salmon on Lake Michigan. Now, we fished when we were kids, but he hasn't been fishing since he was 12. So that is my motivation for this year. I love my brother with my heart and soul, and to have one more thing to share with him would mean one of the greatest things to me. We are scheduled to go out the weekend of May 6th. So please pray for some nice wave forecasts!

For me its going on to live my dream. I always though it would be so cool to go fishing for a job. The charter's always seemed to be a whole different type of fisherman to me and i wanted to be one. I feel like i was trained well by a 40 year vet of the fishing sport, this year it will she show what i have learned in the last 8 years. Some kids go out and party till 3:30 in the morning while i get up and go fishing. I dont and will not regret going fishing while all my friends are at party's. Its a different for me when im away from home and i like the fishing world a whole lot better lol!!!!

mine is my grandpa starting me at a real young age and my passion for fishing has just gotton stronger over the years im 25 now and over the last year had a very unfortunate disease strike me chrones disease which requried 3 surgeries and at one point i thought i may never fish again with some strong will and a desire for the fish i fought through it i still have bad days but im much better and im fishing again!!!! just as good as ever every day im out there im truly thankful for it i will never stop fishing im very excited for the year ahead:)

For me its going on to live my dream. I always though it would be so cool to go fishing for a job. The charter's always seemed to be a whole different type of fisherman to me and i wanted to be one. I feel like i was trained well by a 40 year vet of the fishing sport, this year it will she show what i have learned in the last 8 years. Some kids go out and party till 3:30 in the morning while i get up and go fishing. I dont and will not regret going fishing while all my friends are at party's. Its a different for me when im away from home and i like the fishing world a whole lot better lol!!!!

You are on the right track. I am 37 and I STILL have friends that are out patying all night. They all say that I am lucky or stupid to fish for a living. Truth is I am addicted:thumb: I am blessed for sure. I also work a ton of hours. I gave up partying,smoking and doing other thing I best not say so that I could save up and become a captain. I will never regret it ! But the 15-20 people that I graduated with that have died from partying (yes really) will! Keep on the right track !

I really get a kick out of people telling me "thats the biggest one I ever caught" or "I have never caught that many in a week,let alone a day". I absolutely love teaching people how to catch more fish,I teach how to go about your entire day from looking at charts,talking to baitshops,using electronics,and running lines or jigging techniques. I love meeting and spending time with new people,hearing their stories about their lives.Mostly it is the easiest way for me to make people smile and enjoy their life:grin:

Thanks Sherman, and all you guys for your inspiration and love of the sport. I know I'll never forget that first big 26# salmon I caught right in the Ludington channel in 1982. And it's that screaming reel and fight on the deck that keeps me coming back. Now, like both Matts, I love to see the eyes of the angler when it's a novice or kid hooking up their biggest fish ever. Every season is different and challenging, and the fish are just too terrific an experience to miss out on. Here's wishing everyone a very exciting and safe 2011 fishing season.

For me, it is my brother. We have hung out and he and I both love the outdoors greatly. We camp, hike, moutain bike, climb and enjoy just being outside. But my brother never picked up the passion for fishing as I have. Just last week, he called me and surprised the heck out of me by telling me he bought an all species fishing license and wants to catch salmon on Lake Michigan. Now, we fished when we were kids, but he hasn't been fishing since he was 12. So that is my motivation for this year. I love my brother with my heart and soul, and to have one more thing to share with him would mean one of the greatest things to me. We are scheduled to go out the weekend of May 6th. So please pray for some nice wave forecasts!

i can and will do that. good luck

You are on the right track. I am 37 and I STILL have friends that are out patying all night. They all say that I am lucky or stupid to fish for a living. Truth is I am addicted:thumb: I am blessed for sure. I also work a ton of hours. I gave up partying,smoking and doing other thing I best not say so that I could save up and become a captain. I will never regret it ! But the 15-20 people that I graduated with that have died from partying (yes really) will! Keep on the right track !

i do know what you mean. thats part of the reason i quit for awhile. most of my fishing friends had died or moved away. but thank god my son asked me to go back. so now i have my sons.

this will be my 18th season either working on a charter boat or running my own boat. The level of anxiousness seems to grow every spring. I do not know if i can pin point what exactly it is that drives me every year. Its a passion and drive that is unexplainable. All the reasons already mentioned seem to fit into why i love fishing lake michigan so much.

so far 2011 has seemed worse than ever for me for a couple reasons.

The fishing reports out of Racine the last month are truely unbelievable. Its been over 15 years since i remember steady limits of cohos in april. I have spent all winter re-conditioning my new ride. I am so anxious to see how she is going to perform with the new bottom job, rudders properly a lined and props reworked. The First In is truely an outstanding fishing machine and i cant wait to see how she treats me after all the love i have given her.

Lastly, i am looking very much forward to enjoying the summer with my wife. She has been persuing her education for the last couple of years and has not been able to enjoy the new boat or fishing with me. She will be done in may and will finally be able to enjoy herself. I know some guys see fishing as an escape, but i still enjoy my wifes company and can't wait to share my "other" life with her.

Yep My Grandpa was my insperation to fishing;) I remember as a young boy 40yrs ago sitting on a little chair and hearing him tell me about the Coho's that he caught on LK Michigan and risking his life in a 16' boat that looked like a 57 Chevy Belair by the pic's:lol: and I thought to my self someday I going to be out there, and here I am, but I can only share my stories with my Grand Kids:cool: but He would be proud.

Thanks for the reminder:thumb:

I take Kids when I get a chance:thumb:

As I sit here looking out the window at the snow coming down wishing winter would finally end. It has been a long winter and even though I spent a bit of time on the hard water chasing after a few Saginaw Bay walleye nothing drives me more than being out on the big water seeking silver fish. It is a thrill to be able to find and catch fish over such a great expanse of open water. The anticipation of "fish on" and the ensuing battle always get my adrenaline peaked. Quality time spent with family and friends is priceless. What other sport can you find that is so relaxing and yet so exciting? Yep, fishing is the name of the game.

i would just like to thank each of you for your stories. and as i set here with tears welling up in my eyes as i realize that other people have some very personal reasons for looking forward to a new season. thank you for sharing them with this old fisherman.

all the years i fished the big water my wife never went with me. she wont get out on the big water. i always just took friends. 2 years ago when i started fishing again with my son and his family. well my wife does like to just camp. so she started going with me. this has added a whole new world to my fishing trips. i do love spending time with her. i really missed her back in the old days. she is my best friend. this dec will be 40 yrs. i do plan on making a couple of trips without her, but she,ll still be in my thoughts.

and some of these days when you post extra seat. it may just be me that pm,s you to take that seat. i say alittle prawer that all your new seasons turn out the very best for you.

come on guys lets hear your story. there has to be some reason your looking forward to this season. if its nothing but the worst case of cabin fever you,ve ever had.(i do have that to)

....sherman....

With 2 or 4 kids old enough to go out and a father with deteriorating health I have cleared my calender and will only be working 1 weekend a month this year. We will be over to Holland 1 a month and to muskegon for the dreamweaver. We started off the season with a great St Joe trip with my dad and son And even though I didn't bring in a single fish it was the best trip ever. Now I am unfortunate enough :D to have to run 2 trips a day 1 in the morning with the dad and son and 1 in the afternoon with the wife and daughter. So I get to double up on the fishing. So far this season has been good to me and th efamily and they are looking forward to getting out more and so am I.

Steve Kelly

For me it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but yet attainable....a perpetual occasion for hope....

It is a quote written by John Buchan August 1875-February 1940

Give the man his credit for such perfect words :)

After having a stellar first season, and be off work for three months after surgery, I am so ready to get fishing. New toys on the boat, new baits. new tactics learned. and to spend time with my family while on the water.

Lots of reasons. But mostly because I love the Great Lakes and want to share the experience with my 12 year old son. He loves to fish, and last year we invested in a bigger boat. Needs some work, so hopefully I'll have it ready shortly for a shake down. But since life tends to set you back three steps for every one forward, a series of recent layoffs has put that in question and I'm hoping to get out by the 4th of July now. Who knows.

Dad and dad in law both with health issues, daughters that think that fishing is still cool. That and who knows how many more years we'll be blessed with the fishery we have.

Not to mention the coho fishing has been stupid this year. 7 trips, 90 fish......

Lots of reasons. But mostly because I love the Great Lakes and want to share the experience with my 12 year old son. He loves to fish, and last year we invested in a bigger boat. Needs some work, so hopefully I'll have it ready shortly for a shake down. But since life tends to set you back three steps for every one forward, a series of recent layoffs has put that in question and I'm hoping to get out by the 4th of July now. Who knows.

hey

that sounds great with your kid. i had quit fishing the big water untill 2 years ago when my oldest son came to me and asked me and my wife to go on vacation up to lake erie. i told him we would go, then i tried everything to get out of going, even told him he could take my boat. but he just wouldnt hear of it. my wife wont go out on big water. but she loves to camp. so it worked out. and i just loved fishing with my son and his family. then last year my other son went with us. he even cleaned all the fish for us. so i decided when i got my back pay and both my sons wanting to go to geneva oh eye fishing that i was getting a bigger better boat. then i had bought the 2 electric riggers last year. i was on ebay watching an auction on a set of big jon pro tournament riggers with auto stop but no rod holders. they were like 480.00 so i made a bid of 550.00 just before it ended. so i got them for 510.00. then i got a set of double rod holders for 135.00. so im set. my wife goes with me and camps, my sons and there family goes with me and does most of the work im just not able to do much. then my brothers went with me last year and said they wanted to make a trip this year. i am truely blessed. i want to go fishing so bad.

....sherman....

Sherman. Sounds like a great time had by all. Everything always seems to work out with time and a little patience. Now there's an idea, get him to clean the fish. I like that one. Looking forward too the whole experience.

sherman. Sounds like a great time had by all. Everything always seems to work out with time and a little patience. Now there's an idea, get him to clean the fish. I like that one. Looking forward too the whole experience.

i did the cleaning for 30+ years. It,s about time i got som help.lol. I sure can use it. We went to electric knives about 20 yrs ago. That was a big help. For now just enjoy.

....sherman....