Bonus $$$$

I just got a big bonus at work. Looking at buying a boat. I am thinking about a 16 foot with a 25 to 50 hsp outboard. I only go out mabey a mile offshore and have shelter right close by if the weather goes sour. Most of the time I am by myself or with one other person. Would this be a big enough boat??? i would kind of like to be able to fish and burn a little less gas. I figure that I could fish for about 4 hours on a couple of gallons of gas. On the other hand I have a real good deal on a 19 foot boat with a 90 hsp. I know that one will take 4 gallons a trip. Any suggestions????

Personally I would go with the 19' and 90 hp. In the grand scheme of things the difference between 2 and 4 gallons of gas is less than $10 per trip. The added comfort, safety and room would be well worth it IMO. If you do go smaller I would get the larger motor. I know that you are close to shore up ther but it is always nice to be able to get off the water in a hurry if you need to. Good luck, it's a good problem to have.

I went through this last year and I can tell you from experance, go with the 18-19 foot range. If you can afford bigger do so. I love my boat. She has got me home on rough days and she is a dream on nice days. I generally do not fish in waves bigger then 3 feet. If you are getting thrown around it is not fun.

To save on the gas bills I bought a new 4 stroke 9.9 and a 3 hour trip goes through .5 gallons of gas. at 2-2.7 MPH

If you're going to stay in the channel and close to shore only, 19' is fine. But, when it comes to the Big Great Lakes, I highly recommend at least 24'-26' for safety and seaworthiness. Don't know your finances, but there are alot of boats out there for sale at ridiculously low prices right now, and the size difference for safety and security is priceless. I ran a 26' CC for years alone, it's not that difficult after you get used to it. Good luck and good fishing.

hey. this is if you plan on fishing the big water at all.

great job on the bonus. my first boat was a 14 ft with 15 hp. the guy kept it while i made payments.LOL. but i got it, i was 23 and working a low paying job. but that boat was for a small local lake and small rivers.

if you,ve got the money go for the 19 or even bigger if you can. once you start boating you,ll have one goal to get a bigger boat and or a bigger motor. if you have plans to fish the big water you,ll never regret going bigger. but i can just about guarauntee you,ll always regret going smaller. i went through alot of boats from 15 to 18 ft over the last 30+ yrs. the 18 i had for yrs. i gave 250.00 for it. had to put tires on trailer before i could even move it. i had a great motor on my old 16 footer. i worked like a dog new floor new paint new steering and seats. but she was awesome. she was small enough to go anywhere i wanted to go. and big enough that i fished the big water. i picked my weekends to go. but we fished 90% of the time. i did get a 21 ft when i started fishing the central basin. last year i got some back pay. i now own a 28 ft sea ray. my little brother said i went overboard.LOL.

get the 19 and never look back you may even end up with some new friends now that you have a boat. then your going to need the extra room. once you put rods drink cooler, fish cooler, bait cooler, tackle box and even 2 people that little boat is going to fill up fast. and after you,ve been on the water for awhile your going to want to venture alittle farther out. trust a guy thats fished smaller boats most of his life. but i just bought what i could afford and what was there for the money i had. when your out on the water and it gets rough your not going to be worrying about a couple of gallons of gas. your going to say thank you god for the bigger boat. please let me know what you decide. for me there is only one choice. good luck and great fishing.

....sherman....

Thanks for all of the help guys. I will probably buy the 19 footer, my number one problem is that once the trailer is hooked up to the Jeep I can be launched with lines set in about a half an hour. I live too close to L Huron and can get out there alot. Thus in a week it is not too hard to burn up $100 in boat gas alone. That does not include buying hot lures and releases and dipsies. I guess welcome to Great Lakes Fishing. At least I will not have boat payments.

I am getting a 195 Sea Nymph with a 90 hsp Johnson great deal and no payments the boat comes with two manual riggers, fish finder, new batteries. I have two electric riggers from the old boat. I should have it ready to splash really soon as soon as the snow lets up

Congradulations on the new boat! I have a 19ft starcraft and its a perfect size for my uses.Usually just 2 on board and lots of room to fish in back, but occasionally i have up to 8 on board and still room to move around. The greatest thing about this size is it can go about anywhere, river,Lake Michigan, P.M. river with kicker and any small lake 1 1/2 foot deep!!! Mine serves all my fishing needs , Yes I want bigger but no payments and I can afford to run mine anytime.I do have a 85 hp johnson and a 9.8 kicker,not a beauty queen but a great multipurpios fishing boat for me and the family and occasionally we pull kids on tubes with it . Hope you like your purchase, and keep your prop wet!!