How to tell what’s what?

I’ve added a whole pile of copper and lead core setups in different lengths this year and would like to be able to know witch rod is witch at a glance before setting them out. I like to set all my rods in the same spot in the cabin so I know who goes where without fumbling through them but what happens when they get all mixed up?

What’s the best way to label the different lengths of copper and lead core?:confused:

Or, do I just need to spend more time using them to be able to tell them apart?:thumb:

Well it is to late for my method. I use different sized reels for different lengths of copper.

30dx for 75'

700 tekota for 150'

800 tekota for 300'

cv55l for 400'

for lead i kind of followed suit with different sized reels when i used a lot of lead. My next way it to use a contrasting pait pen and label the reel and the bottom of the reel seat so you can tell by looking for the length.

I know Mike (GLF) uses color codes for different length coppers/cores. I think he puts colored electrical tape around the rod right above the handle. I met some one else who does something similar but they put the tape around one side of the reel. I have written on my reel handles what each has on it but I also have slightly different reels (type and year) that I can tell the difference with. Personally, if I upgrade all of my reels to the same model I will probably go Mike route because it is cleaner.

Hunter_396590.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I have different sized reels for different lengths but they are all Convectors. I can narrow it down but can’t tell for sure. I have tape on the reels now, but that isn’t “marine grade”.

I do like the idea of putting depth information on each one!

I didn’t want to be the only boat out there with tape and labels’ hanging off my spread, but sounds like that is the common practice.

Thanks again.

I used the label maker at work and put labels on the handles of the rods. If I take the reel off the rod I write on the bottom of the reel seat what it is. Mike's color code is fine but it still gets confusing for us non-electricians, I always had to ask him what was what when I fished with him. I like to keep it simple because I get confused easily!

The colored electrical tape works great. You can use any color tape you want for the different size cores. The only one who needs to know what the colors are, is the boat owner. ;)

I simply used a silver sharpie and wrote write on the side of the reel what was what. If i ever change what is on that reel, a little acetone will take the writing right off. Works great, everyone who grabs a reel knows what it is, and it is not huge writing, but simple and clean and they are all the same.

Joel

I bought a lable maker at rite aid and put a lable on each reel. I put both the copper/core leingthy and how deep it will run. Ie 200 copper 40' (200' of 32# runs about 40' down)

That's exactly what I did. Works great, and easy to read.:grin: