Proos Downriggers

JoeMan

They are made in Grand Rapids. Not the most popular brand but from everything I have heard they are solidly built. The company my friend works for does some work for them (they are not a downrigger company for the most part, the owner just fishes and started building them) and he says they are very strong. I don't know a lot of guys who run them but I haven't heard anything bad about them from the ones who do. I think some of the charters out of Grand Haven run them like Thunderduck.

Joeman,

I ran proos from 03 thru 09. They always pulled a 12lb weight whenever ask to pull. They seemed to be built well, They with-stood all the abuse my challenged crew could throw at them. The only reason I'm not running them anymore is I won a pair of Cannon's.Paulywood is correct Thunderduck- Capt Willis does run them on his boat and sells them out of his store Fish On Tackle #616-935-6985. I'm sure he would answer any questions.

Too Fish

• 2 years later...

If anyone is still looking for Proos Downriggers, I've bought the downrigger business from Proos. The new company name is Sovereign. We carry all the replacement parts, and new downriggers. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them. The website is still under construction. If you need a part and don't see it, feel free to contact me through this forum or on under the contact section. www.sovereigndownriggers.com

These are high quality downriggers and are very popular in GH. We've been running the manuals since the early 80's, then upgraded to the "low profile" electrics. Recently bought a boat outfitted with Big Jon's, but the Proos' are still on the old boat (that is still used), and have been trouble free. I'd recommend them to anyone.