Copper/Heavy duty spro

I've got the Okuma Convector 55. I'm looking to join my copper to my backing to using a #3 spro heavy duty swivel and was wondering if anyone using the same setup has had problems with the swivel jamming on the reel guide?

I've got the Okuma Convector 55. I'm looking to join my copper to my backing to using a #3 spro heavy duty swivel and was wondering if anyone using the same setup has had problems with the swivel jamming on the reel guide?

Should be ok if you have the bigger line guide, but I prefer the regular ant swivel in 50 lb test. Shrink wrap helps the line flow in and out of the guide as well which is an issue I saw potential for when we used to run albrights.

Welcome to GLF Darren!

Thanks for all the replies. The swivel went through the bottom part of the guide but the top part it doesn't. I would imagine that with enough tension that this wouldn't be a problem. I initiatily tried to reel it in without any weight and it rode up the guide and jammed. i may look into a wide mouth guide before putting on the copper.

Tie it direct to your backer using an albright knot but if you are using braid like power pro or any of the superlines be sure to put a drop of super glue on the knot to stop slipping. I Have been doing this for several years and it works great and causes no problems. Use the same knot to attach your leader, u should not need to do anyting to stop slipping with mono or fluorocarbon leader material.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies. The swivel went through the bottom part of the guide but the top part it doesn't. I would imagine that with enough tension that this wouldn't be a problem. I initiatily tried to reel it in without any weight and it rode up the guide and jammed. i may look into a wide mouth guide before putting on the copper.

I bought some Spro size 5 120 # swivels for this, and even though I have the wide guides, they still caught when going through. Blood Runs site recommends just using an Albright knot. There are valid opinions/reasons for doing it each way.

I've been reading this post with Interest since I'm just setting up this year for copper line fishing myself. I bought two new Okuma clarion reels , I'm assuming they have the wide mouth line guides. The opening in the line guide is .124 " at the top and .159" at the bottom. The Spro heavy duty #3 swivel measures .120". That looks pretty tight to me but I have no experience whatsoever with this set up. I hope someone that uses this set up can post about using this combination and possibly let me know if the line guides that came with these reels are the wide line guides or if I need to upgrade to wider line guides. The #3 heavy duty swivel looks tiny to me, Is there a smaller Dia. swivel with enough # test that would be better.

i use the size8 spro swivel..it is a 50# rating..there are no issues with going thru the line guide..put the copper thru the swivel and haywire twist it about 1 and a half inches back and shrink wrap..knock on wood i have never had this fail..the albright knot is just fine if thats what you want to use..i like the extra benefits of having the swivel at both ends of the copper for line twist reduction..

Albrights like to grab on Okumas is my experience, which can break them easily. The SPRO swivel looks like it would grab, but I've never had it happen with a wide mouth guide. Ryan from Calumet Marine did a test of the two to see which was smaller by checking with a micrometer, the spro won by a long shot