lake trout

Its pretty tough to bounce botom ne more for lakers with zebra mussels so prevalent.....but theres a way still make a 5 foot leader with cable and attach this to you ball and downrigger cable and attach you release at the swivel....5 feet above.....or use a release that you can clamp to the cable...if you run your stuff directly behind the ball you will have problems.....and its hard to beat a doger and spin and glow or cows bells and a peanut for lakers....last year in huron a silver OO doger green spin n glow...and a white yellow OO doger with a yellow spin n glow took limits every time out...and i wasnt right on bottom most of the time 60-70 down over 75 feet was pretty good out of port sanilac.....and we fished steelhead on the boards....we did well every time well into may.

My go to has always been a pearl peanut behind either a set of bells or large fender. Mag size Sutton spoons have always been good too. I agree with Seawolf, out of Pt. Sanilac last season I caught a lot of lakers 10 - 15' up from the bottom. Last May wife and I bagged these smoker candies in 30' water out of Sanilac on shallow set downriggers with short leads pulling Flintstone seasick spoons. (yea, the small on on the bottom was a pink)

Copyof005.jpg

How do guys catch them on Lake Michigan in deep water? (say 200+fow) Are the lakers suspended in that deep water or on the bottom?

Get it down there they are rt on the bottom in warm weather.. Right now they are in shallow water and up in the water column. Today Dirty Dog picked up a good one in 20 or 25 FOW so did Something Fishy. This was out of St Joseph Michigan.:)