Wondering where to go Thursday- first trip out this year. With all the good reports I can`t decide. Coming from Grand Haven so SH is closer but really doesn`t matter. Have never fished either SH or SJ before, any recommendations?? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I had the same question sunday. We stopped at South Haven cause the waves looked good and went the big o'fer while everyone at St. Joe tore it up. I'd say it's harder to find the fish at South Haven then St. Joe, but there'll be way more people at St. Joe.

I had the same question sunday. We stopped at South Haven cause the waves looked good and went the big o'fer while everyone at St. Joe tore it up. I'd say it's harder to find the fish at South Haven then St. Joe, but there'll be way more people at St. Joe.

Yeah that. SH trip out of river seems much shorter than the Joe. Seems to be a little more consistent of of SJ. Just get out there and slayem. Then post a report so I know what port to go to. :P

St Joe is a bigger water shed and has more fish in the area than SH. I hope to get out Thursday, I fished out of So. Haven last year and am back in St Joe this year. It is a few min longer to the lake but well worth it. The coho bite will last until about the end of April but it will start slowing down when the lake water starts to warm up above 40 degrees. Right now the dirty water plume is the place to fish. Water is 3 to 4 degrees warmer than the clean water area.

South Haven last week:

Saturday 11/13, boxed out

Tuesday 10/12, boxed out

Thursday 13/13, boxed out

Friday 33/48 or so, lost count, rail dumped fish so we could keep fishing

So as for St. Joe being better, well, I'll argue that.

Saturday we needed to find the warmer, dirty water. T/TH they were scattered in pods up and down the shore. Friday they were piled in by the nuke plant....

The marina island launch is nice. The first strech of river is fairly shallow so follow another boat out. Stay along the Benton Harbor side of the river until you approach the first bridge. You should be in the clear once you reach that bridge. Good Luck.