Plate tabs

I'm sure this was covered before, but what's the deal with the new plate tabs we can buy in Michigan for launches. Where do we get them? Are they a new tab, or do they combine with our current tabs? If we already bought our plate tabs for the year, can we "upgrade"?

Thanks

When you renewed your plates there was an option to pay an extra $10 for the access tabs. I'm not sure if/how to add them if you didn't do it when you renewed. You would have to contact the secretary of state. If you do find something out go ahead and post it. I am sure someone else will be wondering also.

My wifes vehicle plates expire in august so i was concerned about this also. What i was told. I need to check on it again as this was just as things were getting rolling with the new passport. when your plates renew after jan 1 then there is the option to upgrade to the sticker with the passport included. If it isn't time to renew then you are exempt till they renew. Say your plates dont renew till october 31st then you wont have to pay anything this summer for launching. But when your plates renew then you have to do the passport. They were trying to design a way that was fair with the change. According to the dnr person i talked with at the show if you dont upgrade at the time of your plates they are supposed to have something to purchase it at the gates to the state park. It still wasn't decided when i asked about it if it was going to be the 10 dollars or the 15 dollars. Another thing that is coming i heard through the grapevine in the next couple years. All the walk ins that don't pay to use the park and don't buy the passport are going to charged a daily access fee. My Dad heard this when he was at the Camo at the Capitol a few weeks ago. I am actually for it as it will put more money back into the DNR coffers to upgrade and maintain the parks systems. That money collected by the park will be able to be used by the park for upgrade not go into the general fund like or plate passport money is doing. MUCC hasn't made a decision on whether they will support this change or not. They actaully have to change the state charter to make that happen. But it is coming. It is estimated that almost 2/3 of the people entering and using the state parks are not paying anything to use the parks. They are trying to model all the other state that when you use a park whether walk in or not everyone pays a use fee to maintian the park. Sorry for getting off topic here just thought this was kind of inportant and goes along with the passport changes.

Hi guys, i had to renew my plates in january. All i received back was the normal corner tab that did'nt say anything special on it. But my new registration shows i paid the $10.00 rec pass fee. Is the man in the both going to ask to see that, or walk around the truck ?

Hi guys, i had to renew my plates in january. All i received back was the normal corner tab that did'nt say anything special on it. But my new registration shows i paid the $10.00 rec pass fee. Is the man in the both going to ask to see that, or walk around the truck ?

There is a "P" in the one corner of the tab if it doesn't have it contact sec of state. They are setting up a mirror system in holland to see the tabs. i was out there last week while they were working on it

I read somewhere that the new system is already successful. I don't remember the actual number but they needed a certain percentage of renewals to maker the same money they did before and based on the early renewals they were way above that percentage. Every other state that has implemented this system has had very good results. Hopefully Michiganders will follow suit.

Well, for what its worth, i didnt add it on cause i rarely use a state owned dock or visit their state parks. So, i didnt get it. Then my Dad wants to go to the State Park last ice ice fishing. So, i go and pay the parking thing and drop it in the pipe. About two weeks ago i get a call and the lady from the park says we dont do that anymore. For another two dollars ill give you a sticker for your lisecne plate. So, i go in, give her my name, she goes int he safe, finds my envelope, i pay her the two bucks and now i have the endorsement. You can probably get it at the state park and add it. Its only good till you need to renew you plates.

My only question and i havent put it on yet, is where do i place it? I didnt think to ask when i got it. But, id assume in the upper left of the plate as i cant put it over my month expiration sticker.

Another good thing about this is that it also get you in state owned boat launches that required a boat launch sticker like Bolles Harbor or St Joe.

In the past, I always bought a boat launch sticker for my truck-$24

A park sticker for my truck -$24 and a sticker for my wifes vehicle, another $24.

They are needed throughout the Waterloo area where we live and we go the Ludington state park all the time.

So we used to pay $72 annually, now we pay $20. What a good deal for a change.

Another thing that is coming i heard through the grapevine in the next couple years. All the walk ins that don't pay to use the park and don't buy the passport are going to charged a daily access fee.

Maybe, maybe not??? What I'm expecting is that won't be manning the gates at many places anymore. If you don't buy it, you'll get in anyways because they won't be paying a worker to sit at the toll booth. With everyone buying these now, there won't be many left to pay entrance fees so why put a worker there when they won't be collecting much money. They might man big parks like Ludington but I doubt they'll man Bolles Harbor or the St Joe DNR launch. This is speculation on my part, we'll have to see what happens.

My wifes vehicle plates expire in august so i was concerned about this also. What i was told. I need to check on it again as this was just as things were getting rolling with the new passport. when your plates renew after jan 1 then there is the option to upgrade to the sticker with the passport included. If it isn't time to renew then you are exempt till they renew. Say your plates dont renew till october 31st then you wont have to pay anything this summer for launching. But when your plates renew then you have to do the passport.

The program started in Oct 2010. You had the option to renew with the sticker on Oct 1. So If your renewal date is May through Sept of this year you are exempt until your renewal date. If your renewal date is Oct-April and you did not get the passport when you renewed then you need to get a sticker from a State Park or DNR office and place it in the same place you placed the old stickers(left front windshield).

As Paulywood said the program has already been a success and is exceeding last years funding. Almost all passport fees go to the state park and launch fund with a small amount going to other entities. It does not go to the general fund.

For those that don't pay either way this year there will most likely be warnings that are put on your car. Starting in 2012 it will be a $100 ticket to be in a state park or a DNR launch without the passport

The program started in Oct 2010. You had the option to renew with the sticker on Oct 1. So If your renewal date is May through Sept of this year you are exempt until your renewal date. If your renewal date is Oct-April and you did not get the passport when you renewed then you need to get a sticker from a State Park or DNR office and place it in the same place you placed the old stickers(left front windshield).

As Paulywood said the program has already been a success and is exceeding last years funding. Almost all passport fees go to the state park and launch fund with a small amount going to other entities. It does not go to the general fund.

For those that don't pay either way this year there will most likely be warnings that are put on your car. Starting in 2012 it will be a $100 ticket to be in a state park or a DNR launch without the passport

I screwed the dates up and i waited till oct first to get my tabs specifially for the passport. I should have said till sept 30th.

Yeah, I got mine when renewing last October, small p on the sticker is all. I like the idea, cause it saves time and money. The last few years I haven't gone into the Ludington State Park just because of the high $20 sticker, & $5 for daily? I believe. There's almost always someone in our booth in Ludington too, didn't used to be, but there is nowadays. That $100 fine is pretty stiff if you ask me too, and I'm glad to hear they are earmarking the funds for only the State Park system, that's the way it should always be, not going any which way they want.