tethering diver rods question

How many guys tether their diver rods so if they do break you dont loose the reel. i put four tekotas on my boat for my wire last year and would hate to loose one if a rod does break. Also if you do tether them how are you setting it up so i can duplicate it if i do decide to tether my rods.

Never have before but i bought some small bungees from Menards for reel:) cheap. I think they will go from Berts ratchet bases to the spool thiungy part of the reel. Soemtimes in the rough water the rods will relax and go limp and they could be angled to tip out of the holders. Never lost one but paranoid, would REALLY be paranoid with Tek's.

Never have before but i bought some small bungees from Menards for reel:) cheap. I think they will go from Berts ratchet bases to the spool thiungy part of the reel. Soemtimes in the rough water the rods will relax and go limp and they could be angled to tip out of the holders. Never lost one but paranoid, would REALLY be paranoid with Tek's.

This is exactly how I lost mine last year. Came to the top of a wave. the wind blew the boat sideways and took all the pressure off the diver and it was tilted low enough that when the boat rocked a little it slipped out.

This is exactly how I lost mine last year. Came to the top of a wave. the wind blew the boat sideways and took all the pressure off the diver and it was tilted low enough that when the boat rocked a little it slipped out.

I almost had this happen last season. i grabbed the rod as i was standing next to it when it happened. I watched it slide half way out of the holder. I have the new big jon diver holders that i put on last spring and they point down towards the water a little to much or they are up in the air to much.

If your worried about it then go pick a pair of big jon HDs rod holders there build to mag divers. There bullet proof!!!

Thats not what i am worried about really. I have those holders. I was listening last year when two different boats out of holland were complaing that a rod blew in the holder and it was enough of a jump that they bases slid out and not only lost the rod but the reels also. There was also a post from someone on here that had that happen with a couple new rod they bought and okuma set em up with new reels to replace the lost gear.

If your worried about it then go pick a pair of big jon HDs rod holders there build to mag divers. There bullet proof!!!

and you can get them in a ratcheting version now too.i just added a pair and they are nice.ciscos are tough to beat too

Only dipsey rod I point down is mag. I have talora rods with tekota reels and the mag creates enough drag even when popped I have never lost one. I keep the other rods either straight or angled up. I use Michigan rod holders. I also always have the cap on my rod holders. I have lost a lead core setup when my planer line pulled it out of my tree. Only rod I have ever lost. Knock on wood. Been salmon fishing for 35 years, 25 with my own equiptment. I worry more about a thief. I have had a few rods stolen in the past at marinas.

They are very nice we have and they work great!! You have any of the new 360s yet?

360s?big jons or ciscos?i run 4 of the ciscos for my riggers,i love the adjustability and and not having the tube cap to loose

I've been thinking about adding a tether too, mainly for rough seas. I went to a much larger reel last year and they are heavy, which adds to the issue but I've seen mine go slack. I think a 4' long or so nylon chord with a clip on it would be nice so you could still get the rod out of the holder when a fish hits, then have someone else unhook it. I'm all for keeping things simple but don't want to lose a rod either.

Only dipsey rod I point down is mag. I have talora rods with tekota reels and the mag creates enough drag even when popped I have never lost one. I keep the other rods either straight or angled up. I use Michigan rod holders. I also always have the cap on my rod holders. I have lost a lead core setup when my planer line pulled it out of my tree. Only rod I have ever lost. Knock on wood. Been salmon fishing for 35 years, 25 with my own equiptment. I worry more about a thief. I have had a few rods stolen in the past at marinas.

When i had the diver rod go slack was with a 124 walker took a wave wrong and it kind of spun us. My dad was at the wheel and knows how to drive a boat been doing it since the 70s, but it happened so fast that there was no time to react. when it happened is when that rod went slack enough to slip in the holder rubber caps are always in place also. I have tried a few different rod holders most of which had the rod pretty flat out to the side. But when running mags it was just a matter of time before they failed. Went to the big jon hd diver holders heavy duty is an understatement. But they have less adjustment because of the larger pins in them. I also looked at a couple other heavy duty holder and they were pretty much the same way. In over 30 years on the water i to have also lost only one rod when a friend of mine completely missed the rod holder and dropped the rod over the side. But with these new holder i just worry about a rod slipping if that ever happens again, and at almost 400 bucks for rod reel line and lures i am a little paranoid this year.

I visit the lake ontario board as well as this one and posted the same question there. Some of the guys have a few ideas on there that i want to share with other guys here that are considering doing this also. the link is:

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23309

I think i am going to go with the traxtech keeper caps that the one guy posted but am also still looking for any ideas.

My problem was the weight of the reel spinning the dipsey rod around and messing up the roller alignment. Drilled a hole across the bottom of the rodholder after determining location of the reel, put in a bolt small enough for the gimbaled end of the rod butt to fit over and killed two birds with one bolt. Rod doesn't spin in the holder, and the bolt helps lock the rod in place.

I used tethers on my rods when I was running the "Tite-Loc" triple tree's.

Customers would snap the planner board line when sending the release out, and it would hit an eye on the rod, and next thing a $200 rod and reel are in the lake.

I changed over to Cisco rod holders last year, anxious to see what is gonna happen this year with these.

I used tethers on my rods when I was running the "Tite-Loc" triple tree's.

Customers would snap the planner board line when sending the release out, and it would hit an eye on the rod, and next thing a $200 rod and reel are in the lake.

I changed over to Cisco rod holders last year, anxious to see what is gonna happen this year with these.

What did you use for tethers and how did you set them up?