Trolling direction??

I have been fishing only about 5 seasons and don't get out near enough.What happens is I am not sure where to start and don't what to over run the fish so I put out lines and start trolling west ,Watching the graph and depth raider for temp. If i get one i will run that depth north or south for a while. What I am slowly getting at is ,Should I troll North west or south west.Is there a givin direction that works best??

mike what port do you fish out of? In Holland I like a southwest or North west troll ,I look for current direction and try to get my setup to run strait behind the boat.If the current is coming out of the north or south i look for the fish then turn into the current , just what i do, there should be others that will chime in . jimmy

The current direction and speed at the ball are most important. In Whitehall fishing in the morning 90% of the time I troll north west. In the evenings I troll north or south east. I find it best to be in shallower water at sun up and sun down. At those time temp isnt as criticall the fish are feeding.

First off, it would be nice to know which lake you fish. Secondly, when heading out, if not dark, look at the water and wind. Look for temp. breaks and anything on the water that tells something is different, scum lines, as another example. Third, as Jimbobber states, set up down wind, slow, watch the wires and speed, keep the lines straight as possible to start. Change direction as the time for a bite gets too long. Listen to the VHF for possible tips, or call a buddy on the water to see where the action is. Always watch the graph for thermals, baitfish, and large hooks, set depths of riggers accordingly. Just some basics.

This is a question I have had as well. So are you guys saying you've had better luck trolling into, with or across the currents?

First off, Welcome Ryan.

Second, it's helpful to fill out the location part of you profile.

Third, yes to fishing is best going into the current. Like river fish, lake fish will lay facing into the current.

When ever possible we will set up for our first troll in the morning, into the current. Then we will go that way till the bite stops.

This is a question I have had as well. So are you guys saying you've had better luck trolling into, with or across the currents?

Every day is different for me. Find what they want by experimenting. Once it's narrowed down, stick to it until it quits working!

You should never troll across current! You are asking for trouble if u do. The best indicator of trolling direction is get all of your spread to run straight of the back, your boards should be out equally not swinging across the back, same with dipsys and the riggers should not swing across. It can take a while to get the direction but like has been said on southern Lake Michigan a SW direction will usually get you into the current, then it is a matter of tuning the direction by degrees until everything is running straight.

The best explanation I have ever heard was by Best Chance Too Charters at one of their seminars several years ago. They run up to 18 rods off their boat and never tangle because they are very observant of current and trolling direction. Another good thing to remember is to keep your spread in a V configuration the outside lines being shallowest and going deeper as you come in toward the boat. You can usually count on a 2.7 mph at the ball being a great place to start for speed.