Sylvan Offshore Reviews

I’m considering a 1998 Sylvan Offshore as my new ride. I’m looking for any info on this boat model. I’ve read the old post about the rivets come out but was hopping to find out just how common that is on those boats. I want to here all of the bad experiences.

Sylvan Offshores are a hard boat to come by.

Is that because they’re all at the bottom of the lake?

Is it a bad boat to consider?

Would you buy one?

Thanks for all the input and info.

Welp, a Sylvan is an aluminum boat. That pretty much sums it up. Rivets pop out in rough water as the boat gets older. It just happens. They're easy to plug, but it just happens. The boat is going to be extremely light. Your lookin at around 2500 lbs for a 23ft boat. While a boat of equivalent size, but being fiberglass is going to weigh 4500+. I'm not sure on the size your looking for, or what your going to use it for but they're a great boat for smaller applications. Inshore lakes, walleye, tight quarters fishing, and small structure fishing. Most aluminum boats are also gas sippers. Your using much less horsepower and pushing much less weight. If your looking at a bigger model the reason they're tough to find is because most people wanting a larger boat want the heavier weight to cut through the waves better. I don't think this is a bad boat to consider, but it just depends what it will be used for. I personally don't think its much of a boat to get serious about salmon fishing with, but i think its a GREAT boat if your a walleye guy!

I personally would never buy one because im obsessed with salmon and lake trout!!!

I think there darn good boats. I mean look at the starcraft islander. Its the face of great lakes fishing. I think you see more islander than any other boat brand out there. They dont cut threw waves they go over them. yea your not going to be able to run 25mph in 3fts. I have fished on alot of islanders for salmon which is alot like the sylvan and no complaisant. With gas as it its and when your running a 4banger in a 22ft boat its great on the pocket book rather that a 305 for a glass boat. Just dont be afraid due to is a "tin can"

I have some friends that have had islanders and I was hesitant to considered one myself. I do like my heavy Fiberglass 22 foot. the islanders are pulled by much lighter tow vehicle and cost less on gas to operate so there are a lot of advantages. Why not consider an islander which might be easier to get your hands on one. Anyway the trips I have taken on them have been good. They bob around more like a marshmellow and you get a rougher ride than you would in my 4000 LB plus boat but I did not feel unsafe. And they have enough power on 4 cylinder.

Thanks for the input so far!

Keep it coming.

I have a 1995 Starcraft Islander 191 now and really like it. I’m looking to go bigger.

No complaints with my Islander, now!

I just thought I’d try an Offshore. I’ve got a ’98 23 foot Offshore in the works rite now; it’s a good looking boat. I was just wondering if the lost rivets were an above average problem on Sylvan boats. I’ve heard some stories, but then again...

Edited by Priority1
Must be a supporting member to sell items on site.

I just sold My 221 islander. Great boat but like most Islander owners will tell you, esplecially if there older then 10 years your going to have leaky rivits.

including the islander I have 3 boats. down to two. all aluminum. Two starcarafts. and one sylvan. The sylvan is 13 years old and is a 18' Middle V john boat I bought for duck hunting. I have beat the hell out of this boat as most duck hunters do to boats and there ARE NO LEAKS ANYWHERE on this boat as of today. I was actually thinking about this the other day as I am in the process of repainting the inside of the boat as its pretty beat up from The dog and Decoys etc. and that thought was Im supprised that this boat does not leak. I've owned a Smokercraft, leaky rivits, My father in laws lund,leaky rivits, Sea Nymph, NO leaky rivits and two starcrafts Bolth with leakey rivits. I feel leaky rivits are just part of owning a Boat. Gulvit is a great product for fixing this. Just my expirence.