Wire Line - What's the big deal?

I purchased two Okuma CV30D from an online retailer and when they arrived yesterday they were spooled up with wire. This wasn't what I paid for nor what I wanted since I was upgrading my downrigger reels from small Daiwa Accudepth 27LCs to these CV30's.

Now I don't know what to do, because I have all the other Leadcore and Copper and Dipsey set ups I want. So, I'm debating on selling the CV30's with the wire, or fishing it and stripping off my Power Pro on my dipsey reels and replacing with mono to now use as my downrigger reels.

I wanna know, What's the big deal with wire and should I switch over my Power Pro dipseys to Wire?

Keep in mind I run a 16' boat with one other person 95% of the time, so only 6 rods at a time are used and do not want to run two dipseys on a side.

Wire will cut the water a little better and reach a bit more depth. I have never had an issue with sea fleas or cotton wood with my wire. It will cut through any of it at the tip.

I personally just love fishing and catching fish on wire. I am retiring my braid divers this year. I think it comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for the replies guys. One thing I don't understand that I've heard quite often regarding these types of questions is that wire dives deeper and cuts the water better than braid. It seems like the 7strand wire has a diameter of .015" and that 30PP has a diameter of .011".

So how does it dive deeper and cut the water better when it has a larger diameter of 30lb Power Pro? Is it because of it's material make up being wire and made of metal that it is heavier???

I'm starting to think I might change one to wire and leave another to Power Pro and see what happens.

the wire has no stretch to it so it cuts the water better. Thats why most guys use power pro on the high divers and wire for the deep ones ,when catching fish on wire remember there is no stretch so you have to fight the fish a little easier but you will feel every little head shake and tail wag on the wire. jimmy

I dont and wont use wire on my boat, and I Guess I'll be the one oddball that has NOT noticed wire being any better than PPro or braid when it comes to getting a fish to strike. I probably can say that ive seen more of the bigger fish of a days catch taken on a wire dipsey tho and it is fun to catch fish on. However what I have also noticed is alot more LOST fish on wire than on braid and alot more (Uht theres a fish,Nope its off).

A perfect more on the lose than tight set drag is a must. It will take some getting used to for sure.

While we are on the subject of metal lines..Im not a big fan of copper either. I know im crazy..but you just dont get or feel much of a fight out of fish on copper, one or two runs (if your lucky) then have fun reeling in dead weight.

Dont get me started on how often it gets tangled up in something and how long it can take to deploy.

Your metal line h8ter,

Mikey

I dont and wont use wire on my boat, and I Guess I'll be the one oddball that has NOT noticed wire being any better than PPro or braid when it comes to getting a fish to strike. I probably can say that ive seen more of the bigger fish of a days catch taken on a wire dipsey tho and it is fun to catch fish on. However what I have also noticed is alot more LOST fish on wire than on braid and alot more (Uht theres a fish,Nope its off).

A perfect more on the lose than tight set drag is a must. It will take some getting used to for sure.

While we are on the subject of metal lines..Im not a big fan of copper either. I know im crazy..but you just dont get or feel much of a fight out of fish on copper, one or two runs (if your lucky) then have fun reeling in dead weight.

Dont get me started on how often it gets tangled up in something and how long it can take to deploy.

Your metal line h8ter,

Mikey

That is why everyone says light drags and easy does it with wire , the same goes for copper, dont horse the fish and u will boat them.

That is why everyone says light drags and easy does it with wire , the same goes for copper, dont horse the fish and u will boat them.

But...Everyone knows you cant catch a King reelin like a little girl.

Says the guy thats been known to take up to an hour to reel in a 2lb. coho.

Still not a fan of either and doubt any words are going to change my mind, will stick to the "traditional" ways of catching fish myself and to each their own.

Your metal line h8ter,

Mikey

Interesting, I've see the exact opposite between my wive vs braid divers, wire bites almost always end up in the boat and lots and lots of hit and runs with no hookup on the PP divers. I also get a LOT more bites on the wire divers.

To each his own I guess.

I sort of agree about copper but it certainly is effective. I believe the appropriate saying is this: The best thing about copper is it catches fish, the worst thing about copper is it catches fish :D

Tim

Your metal line h8ter,

Mikey

I got rid of my PP diver rods a few years ago. I now have added two back into the game. Reason is, and this is coming from a lot of big name charter captains from over the last couple years, wire will and does shut down your down riggers. Most of the big names are going back to PP to get their riggers producing more fish. As a matter of fasct Jim and i were talking about this last fallwhile we were fishing on his boat. I listened to this very discussion by a couple captians at the show in GR friday night after the show was closed.

Edit:

Dont get me wrong i amnot getting rid of my wire but am going to try PP again and see if i see the same results.

How in the world would it shut down the downrigger bite? Sometimes I think people over analyze fishing, and don't realize we are fishing after FISH that have a brain the size of a pea.

Anyways, I appreciate all of the replies guys, and I'm nearly certain I'm going to use the PP to replace some mono backing on my leadcore reels.

has to do with the harmonics between the two lines. i agree with the over analyzing at times but these guys are winning these money tourneys because they know something. and listening to them talk of how they are getting away from wire and producing more fish is something to consider. These guys are out there every day unlike most of us who are lucky to get out three or four times a week. I say if the pros are on to something like this then it is something that needs to be considered whether the fish has a pea sized brain or not. When guys on here are getting 5 6 7 fish and they arecoming in with 15 20 30 fish then.....

Your entire spread acts as a team of lures....a school of fake fish or bait so to speak. Sometimes running wire and riggers WILL shut fish down. Is it harmonics? Is it the angle of the lines running into the water? Is it the closer presentations to the boat? Who knows....but there are DEFINITELY times when taking the wire rods out of the spread or shutting down one rigger will produce more fish than by leaving them in.

I have 2 wire diver rods and 2 braid rods. i let the conditions and the fish tell me what they want.

rigger bites have slowed noticeably for top charters the past few years for a good reason, and its not wire divers. Some guys have figured out why their riggers have slowed, made adjustments, and have them rocking again. Those who have not figured it out are looking for answers, and possibly at wire divers because they are the next closest rod to the spread. What they did not tell you is that they wont end up pulling away from wire divers because they are still the hottest rods on just about any boat who knows how to fish them. I would not pull out my hottest rods to try and turn on my dead rods. I would figure out why my dead rods are dead, and make the adjustment. I have faith they will figure it out eventually...

I don't understand how you lose more on wire than pp. They are both non and VERY low stretch materials. We put 12 inch clear snubbers with mono leader and set the drag to creep. I would never get rid of wire myself. And by the way I've lost fish on every setup:D