Dipsy diver reels

propman

What reels are used for dipsy, going to be using the walkers deep divers 124mm. I have no idea what reels should be used, going with mono 40lb line don;t what to spend a lot of $ so give me your view. propman

I have been using 30d convectors for my diver program with wire and braid. I would suggest going with braid instead of mono, especially with the mags. The braid will allow you to go much deeper it it will make tripping the divers much easier because of the no stretch. You will also have to upgrade into a bigger reel if you decide to go with the 40# mono, probably a CV45 or bigger.

I am eliminating my braid divers altogether this year and sticking strictly with wire. i think i only fished my braid divers twice last year and that was playing with slide divers.

as far as reels, i am using Okuma Catalinas and love them, but i am fishing almost everyday. If i wasn't doing what i do, some convectors would be perfect to just go out and fish casually. comparing $65 convectors with $170-200 Catalinas or Tekotas is not apples to apples.

I started out using mono on my divers and wouldn't you you two cents for diver fishing. A friend suggested trying 30# braid and now I won't fish without the divers. I am running Diawa 27's after the drags on the my Cabela's 20's(made by Okuma)became kind of touchy. Either too much drag or not enough. I have put carbon fibre drag discs in both units so time will tell if it is an improvement. I got 3 years out of the Cabelas before I replaced them with the Daiwas. I only fish dipseys a few weeks out of the year as I am not a guide boat.

One bait you may want to try with this dipsey program is a Blue Bubble Spin Doctor with an Opti Hammer fly. This seems to be a go to bait for us in Door County. good luck!!!:cool:

For the money you can't beat the Okuma CV30's we've been running them for 2 years on the wire rods.. And like most everyone else says, Scrap the mono and go with the braid, we run #50 Spider wire Stealth.. Love the stuff:lol:

I have abused the okuma cv series reels with divers till last year when i started upgrading some of my reels to tekotas. Not that the okumas went bad or gave me problems. the cv 30s with braid are a great combo. A trick to making the drags last in the reels is back them off after every trip completely and when the rods are stored for an extended period of time. Even the upgraded carbon drags or tournament drags from tunas. Most people that complain about drags never back them off and they flatten out causing the sticking that people complain about after a year or two. I still have a couple penns that havent had drags replaced in over ten years and are still working fine as they are backed off after every trip.

• 3 weeks later...
I am eliminating my braid divers altogether this year and sticking strictly with wire. i think i only fished my braid divers twice last year and that was playing with slide divers.

as far as reels, i am using Okuma Catalinas and love them, but i am fishing almost everyday. If i wasn't doing what i do, some convectors would be perfect to just go out and fish casually. comparing $65 convectors with $170-200 Catalinas or Tekotas is not apples to apples.

hey

you said you were playing with the slide divers. was that the newer lite bite divers or the old diver without the trigger arm?? i use the lite bite,s and just love them. whats your take on them??

i,m like everybody elce, you,ve got to go with braid or your not going to enjoy your fishing. atleast 30# i use 65# myself. i know braid costs alittle more but it last for years and years and years. i change mono every year. i,ve been useing the same braid for atleast 12 years or more. but thats just what i started with and have my depths set up on it. i reccomend the okuma convector 30 or the daiwa sg27lca reels for braid. but the daiwa 47,s will work good for braid or wire. the convectors are about 65 to 70.00 the daiwas are about 100.00. unless you get them used on ebay.com. i bought 6 sg17lca,s on ebay, the most i paid was 64.00. i did get one that had to be repaired. and the seller paid that. if you get a bad one ebay will make them give your money back, or they will give it back. just make sure the item is covered under that plan. got carried away again.LOL. good luck to all.

....sherman....

I was using the lite bites. still have them and may possibly set them up again. I did not have all the extra parts anymore so it was difficult to get them to hold on the braid. If i re-rig them again, i will probably use mono.

I was using the lite bites. still have them and may possibly set them up again. I did not have all the extra parts anymore so it was difficult to get them to hold on the braid. If i re-rig them again, i will probably use mono.

i just use them like a standard diver anyway. i just tie my braid to the diver and tie an o ring to a short piece of line put it through the trip arm tie it to a snubber then tie on about a 6 or 7 ft leader of florocarbon. works great for me. have a great season.

....sherman....