Line Changing

How often does everyone change their line on their rigger rods and braided dipsies, or the backing on copper rods? How often should the copper line itself be changed? Every year, every other year......?

Flyboy

Change mono every year, on braid I keep for 2 years cutting back through out the season and then switch it end for end for another 2 years. Have not broke any yet. Helps that is out of the sun while at the dock under the copper line. Never have changed copper in 4 years, looks fine. Chris

On mono, I change every year. To me, no sence with having old line snap with $20-30 bucks of tackle on the terminal end.:D Mono, I use P-Line CXX clear.

Braid, every 2 years. This year I bought some of the Cabales RipCord, to try out. In the past, FireLine and Power Pro.

Copper, don't have one of those yet, this year though. don't tell the wife.:no::D

I change my mono every year. I change the backing on my cores and copper every year also. I buy new wire as the reels get low. I had power pro that was 4 years old with no issues. I bought new reels and put new line on last year. Z boards had me change all my copper last year due to false releases.

Mono every Year and I never leave the rods out in the sun when the boat is in the slip. I also cut a few feet off a couple of times a year, it enables me to have new knots to my Swivels. I have never changed my Power Pro, It is about 5 years old now, and is going away in favor of 7 strand wire. I will be asking a lot of questions about wire soon.

till it breaks...lol

Well personally ive left backings on reels for up to 10 years....i use dacron or powerpro for the first 100 yards on all my reels...i like dacron especially on reels with mostly mono....this backing usally never sees the light of day so for the most part it stays strong and fresh...i just strip off 100 or so yards every year or 3 after the reel gets on the low side and splice in new line...its frugile and effective...as for cores and copper let the wear determine how often you change them i have some cores that are 5 years + and seem fine to me usally the core will start popping through in spots if u see this definatly change it and i usually put a small length of 40 or 50 lb mono in between my powerpro and cores or copper to connect the board onto....my first copper rod never broke a fish off for almost 5 years till someone cut it off i think it would be fine still...same concept if you see a fray or excessive wear change it....if i had unlimited money and unlimited time maybe id change every year....but every 2-3 yrs would be fine in my mind....ofc it depends on how much you fish and mostly on how much sun...ie uv light degradation your lines are exposed to .....this is really the deterining factor in my my opinion.....now i spooled my diverrods 14 years ago with 1200+yds of spiderwire and just this last year i put another 600 yards of power pro on both both reels still using that old spiderwire as the backing.....did i break off fish on these rods over the years....yah a few and i mean a few but this was more because i didnt cut it back through the wear of use.....was the line bad....i really don't think so it worked fine out 200-400ft all of last year....the manufactures pushed that it would last 10 years + when it first came out.....and i really do think this is the case.....again i'll push the cut it back and spool up a new 200-300 yards....this is about all the line that will ever see use on a reel....who cares much whats underneth ..... i like a full reel it works better and it is faster on the retrieve.

On mono, I change every year. To me, no sence with having old line snap with $20-30 bucks of tackle on the terminal end.:D Mono, I use P-Line CXX clear.

Braid, every 2 years. This year I bought some of the Cabales RipCord, to try out. In the past, FireLine and Power Pro.

Copper, don't have one of those yet, this year though. don't tell the wife.:no::D

send that old braid my way ill use it for another 10 years.... Lol