Walleye Boards

This past year I tried to run my 300' of copper off of my walleye boards and the board would hardly drag that far out and the board would almost be buried underwater, is this really to much weight for the walleye board to handle?

Flyboy

I do OK pulling my 300' copper, not great but OK. It helps alot if you keep the "belly" of the line your letting out, out of the water, this is worse when you run a mono over a braid backer. I think the new Tx-44's will be great for my longer coppers, those that have used them like them, we will see. Chris

If your wanting to run long lengths of copper or core check out the new TX-44s by Church Tackle. Forgot to add that you can switch the board from Port to Starboard and vise versa if you want.

Edited by SPOONWASHER
add info

the biggest mistake people make is trying to run heavy 300' copper too far from the boat. I always run my 300 or 450 copper rigs with in 60 to 75 ft from the boat, the lead core full cores outside that and the shorter cores outside that. I use Walleye boards and u have to move the counter wt a little forward to keep the board level. Its a matter of tuning the board.

I guess no one ever said that salmon fishing was an inexpensive hobby......adding a planer arsenal to a boat setup is not cheap. Does anyone know where to buy a relatively inexpensive set of rod trees?

Looks like Pioneer beat me to it, and Flyboy to answer your question about trees you may want to find a welder around you or even someone you know to build them for you. It would probably save quite a bit of money, I had my uncle weld up a post for the back that slips in to the seat pedestal mount and it works great.

I guess no one ever said that salmon fishing was an inexpensive hobby......adding a planer arsenal to a boat setup is not cheap. Does anyone know where to buy a relatively inexpensive set of rod trees?

I have one tree that I'm selling. It's a Berts 4 rod tree. I'm switching out my port side tree with a swivel base Berts to make it easier to dock. I'm asking $120.00 for the tree. Paid $170.00 last year.

I chuckled when I read the response from Supertramp. ( chuckle now but not at the time!)

Last year was the first year I ran copper and I ended with 3 balls of it that got tangled with dipsies, from trying to run it too close to the boat. His suggestion is a good one, but don't run it any closer either!

Glad I didn't give up on it though, as the results running 300' copper are awesome.

The 300 copper should be far enough away to not be running over top your diver.

If you fishing with a 300 copper than your assuming the fish are way deep. In this case it's wise to use a mag diver set to 1. this will keep the diver closer to the boat, therefore lessening the chance the 300 will get into it.

I have the weight set forward to number 1 on my walleye boards. They pull 300 and 450 coppers fine. I do have rod trees so the line in front of the board is never in the water. Z boards dont work so well on my boat. I have a full set and they need tuned every time the lake changes and their crappy release mis releases frequently. If more than one false release a tangled mess occurs. At first I thought they were great but after many fishing trips they are just occupying space on my boat.Walleye boards are hard to beat in my oppinion.

Give Tony @ Lord of the Riggers a call. He advertises here and his Big Jon prices are very good.

I built my 4 rod SS trees.

At the g.rapids sports show I found a booth from"madsdocks.com" they make poor mans pole holders. They are very basic but their 3 pole rod tree costs $37!!! All aluminum but as I said no frills and not polished.I wanted to get a set but opted for 2 sets of z-boards instead.

This past year I tried to run my 300' of copper off of my walleye boards and the board would hardly drag that far out and the board would almost be buried underwater, is this really to much weight for the walleye board to handle?

Flyboy

Did you try moving the adjustable counter weight on the bottom of the board? This will make a big difference. We run 300' of 45lb off walleye boards with no problem.