Habor Beach Brown's

Was at Meeting last night Thumb Chapter Steelheaders;

It looks like maybe some of the browns that was planted in last 2 yrs are showing up :thumb:,

There has been some caught in the 20" to 26" range and look healthy, from what I was told that this a 3 yr program and they need to be reported or recorded to keep the program going after 2011 season, the last plant will be this fall.

They need to have a 1000 fish reported on a return or caught to keep the plant going, maybe we can still have mix fishery in LK.Huron after all :thumb:.

Also the is a Walleye Project going on in LK. Huron and LK.Erie could be Gas $$$ for someone lucky enough to catch one :cool:, Here's the link.

www.glfc.org/telemetry/walleye.php

Thought I would share this hopefully I put this in the right thread:thumb:

Good info Grant. I really think the DNR has a good idea about trying to establish larger brown, steelhead and Atlantic populations on Huron. Since these fish don't target alewives like kings do they shoudl be a good alternative. Hope it works out. Browns are fun to catch and are great eating.

I don't know if you guys remember but back in the mid 80s Harbor Beach had one heck of a brown trout fishery! and if it can be half as good as it was it would be outstanding also along with the steelhead fishery picking up us east side guys can get happy again!!!!

Well i certainly hope that quota is met and that the plants will continue. I know of at least a couple browns that were caught on Saginaw Bay this winter ice fishing. Also several steelhead were caught....above normal #'s IMO. Not sure what that means, but its gotta be a good thing.

Grant, who is collecting this info? Does this cover the thumb side? There have been browns caught this season so far from both Sanilac and Lexington. I would most certainly be happy to report my catch in support of the program.

I will get the info. on here or to ya sorry about that.:eek: must of had a hearing block on that part :rolleyes:

we caught a tagged walleye once in Port Sanilac about 5 years ago or so. She was 28" long and I think around 4 or 4 1/2 pounds. We called the tag in. She had been tagged in the Tittabawasee (sp?) 2 years before we caught her and was 25" inches long and 3 pounds. It was interesting to see she had traveled so far during the summer. I'm assuming they tagged her when the spawn was on. We'll be sure to get the info on reporting browns and get that in, too. Love those browns!

this is prime time otherwise know as lord of the waves fish out of harbor beach all summer caught half dozen browns last year all about 3 pounds very healthy fish all fish came on crawler harness forget about steelies east side guys want walleyes

this is prime time otherwise know as lord of the waves fish out of harbor beach all summer caught half dozen browns last year all about 3 pounds very healthy fish all fish came on crawler harness forget about steelies east side guys want walleyes

I actually hope that steelies, browns and walleye are all in the mix for Southern LH fishery. I think it's easily sustainable. Can only imagine that some of the walleye that spill out from the bay find their way down into lake huron and it's cooler waters.

I don't know if you guys remember but back in the mid 80s Harbor Beach had one heck of a brown trout fishery! and if it can be half as good as it was it would be outstanding also along with the steelhead fishery picking up us east side guys can get happy again!!!!

Yes I do kinda remember the hay day of browns and salmon at HB. I just bought my first boat in 85, 24' chysler and boy did we have fun:thumb: it will come back I'am being positive:cool: and the walleye do get around the top and down to HB, but in the end of june and july an august are good if wind don't blow bad, and the steel :lol: you wait , we are running 15000 trough the net pens again this year putting them in first of may and relaseing them the 5-27,:split: these fish will out swim any pretor fish:thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Harbor Beach Brown plant;

Update, as I said I talked to Jim Baker today and I asked him about the return deal with the browns and where to report them when they was caught he said that they wanted a 15% return to Harbor Beach, and 5% return at port sanilac-lexington and it wasn't looking good :eek:,

But the fishermans help could change that look just by recording the location, and the length, and date of the fish caught and turn that information in to a DNR person working a launch site, or to call the DNR office in BayCity and leave him a message] Jim Baker 989-686-2678 :thumb:

Thats all I can tell ya :D