short coppers

I was looking through my logs since switching to all coppers. I noticed my 75' coppers have kind of died off compared to running a half core. Has anyone else noticed this. I am considering taking then copper off of those two rods and putting a half core on each. My 150 and 300s have increased in catch ratio compared to lead core.

Copper and lead are stealth presentations. I like to keep them at least 150' back from the board. So my program consists of lead up to 5 colors, then I switch to 150' of (45lb) copper up to 300'.

So in a nutshell, I like your idea. :thumb:

I agree last year the coppers that produced best for me were 450 and 300. The best producing cores were 15 and 18 color. My short coppers only caught a few fish. 5 color did produce better on my boat. I run 8 boards with one side being all copper and the other side being lead core. Lead core side produced more fish last year on JUST-N-TIME. Water was warm in Whitehall last year and that kept the fish deep. That is why the longer set ups caught fish in my oppinion for what it is worth.

Just basing this off what i have read from others on here.....

could this be because of the extremely warm water you guys had last summer? All my short rods extremely over produced my long cores and coppers last year, but we had extremely cold water. my 300ft coppers were hanging in the cabin crying half the year fishing in 30 fow.

I'm just setting up 2 rods for copper this year (first time using copper) I planned to start with 300' of 32LB. How much line should I let out past the copper before I clip on the board.

You can clip the board on just past the copper. It's nice to have a 10' pc of 30-40 pound mono there for that reason.

Last year was all about the copper for me. But everything was deep! Wish i was fishing 30 fow:p I added a 100' for the year and have a 50 and 30' to try in spring. These would be outside boards. Figured i would give it a try.

Uhmmmm.....this isn't rocketsurgery.....last year the water column was quite warm even 10 colors and 200-250' coppers weren't taking hits cause the fish were 90+feet down the majority of the year.....running a 75' copper 20-30 feet down in 80`+ water puts you 70 feet and 30 degrees out of the thermocline on most days last year....really doesnt make much sence to even run it...I bought 3 new rigs to take 400+ last years so i could get 5 in the fish catching zone most of the time.....if the conditions are right the shorter stuff will catch fish....it just didn't happen untill oct nov. last year.....

Uhmmmm.....this isn't rocketsurgery.....last year the water column was quite warm even 10 colors and 200-250' coppers weren't taking hits cause the fish were 90+feet down the majority of the year.....running a 75' copper 20-30 feet down in 80`+ water puts you 70 feet and 30 degrees out of the thermocline on most days last year....really doesnt make much sence to even run it...I bought 3 new rigs to take 400+ last years so i could get 5 in the fish catching zone most of the time.....if the conditions are right the shorter stuff will catch fish....it just didn't happen untill oct nov. last year.....

This isnt just LAST YEAR i said in my first post over the last three seasons. I know last year was a messed year. Even when conditions were right i have noticed that the one half core was out producing my two 75 coppers.

This isnt just LAST YEAR i said in my first post over the last three seasons. I know last year was a messed year. Even when conditions were right i have noticed that the one half core was out producing my two 75 coppers.

Pardon me it was my second post that stated that i have used them three seasons. And i was wrong last year would have made the forth season not the third.

half core runs at 20feet down, 75 copper is at 15 feet. Sometimes those slight differences make all the difference, especially fishing topwater. I have had the same lure on all ten coppers and fish would only pick one particular length segment out of the lineup consistently and snub all the others..running within five feet of each other in the water column.