Flasher/Fly Combinations

Hey guys,

How do you normally match up your flasher/fly color combinations? I've never had really good luck on my flies and I'm trying to get them going more this year. Also what are your go-to colors for flashers and flies. The only combo I've ever caught fish on consistently is a 10" SD White Crush Glow on blue with a white pearl fly.

Thanks,

Ben

I switch my fly colors to spin doctor colors until I find what they want. I do catch more fish with white spinnies than any other color but that is probally because I always have a couple white ones out in my spread. Change length of flies and longer leads from dipsey to flasher work best for me. I usually have a 5 foot leader along with my snubber. Flies are 18 to 26 inches from my spin doctor. I do run a 4 foot or longer leader on the flie on large paddles. I usually only run flasher flie combos on my dipseys.

My main flasher color is white and I almost always have a few white crush glow in the water. After the sun comes up I will add some chrome into the mix and start experimenting with some different color tapes. For flies I like a lot of glow in the morning and then transition into other colors as the sun comes up. My best go-to combos are a white crush glow blade and a green glow fly in the low light times, and a aqua fly with a white or chrome blade during the day. I think speed is your most important factor for getting your FF combos to produce, so I will experiment with speed before I start changing out my flies.

Color should be about #4 to worry about when trying to raise your production on FF. Speed, Leader legnth, Depth, and Delivery devise are all more important factors to me than color. The "hot set-up" or "hot color" means nothing if its not in the right place, at the right speed, behind the right devise!

If color really gets confusing, any part of any of the Great Lakes I have ever fished.... White flasher/Aqua Fly will do the job every time. :thumb:

My preference is for 8" Spin Doctors with a 24" lead from the end of the loop to the bend in the Treble hook. And for what its worth...I dont put any fly in the water anymore unless it has glow beads. If it dont glow...it dont go.

All of my flies match the flasher.

Some of my summer time favorites. These where on all the time last year. From Siggs Rigs

1,Green halo flasher/siggs super lime glow pulse fly

2,Mountain Dew flasher/Mountain Dew siggs pulse fly

1,White-Green-Holo.jpg 2, Mountain_Dew_Reduced.jpg

1,Super-Lime-Glow.jpg 2, Mountain-Dew.jpg

In the spring this one has been very good for me.

8 in. Pro-Chip

Wonderbread Glow8 in. Pro-Chip/Blue Dolphin pulse fly.

Wonderbread-Glow-Flasher.jpgBlue-Dolphin.jpg

Put this on the lowest set

A 11" paddle with a Big Weenie poofster 36" behind the flasher'

B86G0001.jpg

Color should be about #4 to worry about when trying to raise your production on FF. Speed, Leader legnth, Depth, and Delivery devise are all more important factors to me than color. The "hot set-up" or "hot color" means nothing if its not in the right place, at the right speed, behind the right devise!

If color really gets confusing, any part of any of the Great Lakes I have ever fished.... White flasher/Aqua Fly will do the job every time. :thumb:

My preference is for 8" Spin Doctors with a 24" lead from the end of the loop to the bend in the Treble hook. And for what its worth...I dont put any fly in the water anymore unless it has glow beads. If it dont glow...it dont go.

John is right on, honestly if they stopped making every fly color except aqua and only made white and green flashers it would completly change great lakes fishing. Most people would learn how to fish flasher flies to their fullest and probably double their normal catches. Aqua flies go on all my blades all the time, their really is no better fly color for salmon. This might sound crazy but if you asked 50 charter captains what fly color pays the bills 49 would say aqua.

Nailer,

Where do you find the green holo/glow (#1 in your post) flasher? I have checked many website stores and can not find a flasher of this color. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.