Getting Rid of the Bones

When you guys fillet your salmon/trout, how do you deal with the rib cage and the little bones that stick out from the spine of the fish? In the past I have just cut everything off alone the spine and then cut the rib cage out afterward. That part I'm alright with. What I don't like more is the other little bones that come off the spine. I've tried cutting a thin sliver of meat out to get the bones out but that hasn't worked to well so I normally just resort to leaving them in to get picked out while we're eating the fish. Does anyone know of a good way to get them out?

Some guys sit there with pliers and pull the bones. I tried it and hated the time it took. Now i run my fingers downe the bones find where it ends and cut the tail off the is now bonless. take your knife and start on one side and feel the bones as you cut down that piece is now boneless. Do the same in the other side. you loose a piece that is about the thickness of a piece of bacon and have no bones in the fillet. It takes a little practice but once you get it, it is easy to do. When you come in some day meet me at the fish cleaning station in holland and i can show you. As far as the ribs i cut the fillets off the spine then remove them.

I trim rib bones after filleting then....

Fishwhisperer showed me how to cut the fillet into three boneless pieces. Once you have a skinned fillet, run ur fingers down the fillet and u should be able to feel the pin bones going from front to back. When you feel them stop, make a vertical cut making a tail, boneless section. Now make a horizontal cut on each side of the pin bones of the remaining section cutting out the bones. This will leave a small thin section up top and the remaining larger lower section down below. You will lose a small section of meat around the bones but on a King it will make little difference.

If you prefer to have a skinless fillet, skin BEFORE cutting the bones out. This works pretty well for me. Just my .02 :)

I cut the rib cage out after slabbing. I then skin the fish leaving a little meat on the skin so most of the fat (grey color) stays with the skin. I then feel for the bones and I cut on both sides. I catch a lot of fish so the piece I cut out is 3/8 to 1/2 wide. Then I feel inside the cut to make sure I didnt cut and leave some bones. My kids dont eat fish with bones. Then I cut a v and remove the rest of the fat. Salmon with no grey tastes much better in my opinion. I can do this in a quick fashion. If you are slow do some of it at home if the line at the cleaning station is large. With practice you will get good and fast.

I trim rib bones after filleting then....

Fishwhisperer showed me how to cut the fillet into three boneless pieces. Once you have a skinned fillet, run ur fingers down the fillet and u should be able to feel the pin bones going from front to back. When you feel them stop, make a vertical cut making a tail, boneless section. Now make a horizontal cut on each side of the pin bones of the remaining section cutting out the bones. This will leave a small thin section up top and the remaining larger lower section down below. You will lose a small section of meat around the bones but on a King it will make little difference.

If you prefer to have a skinless fillet, skin BEFORE cutting the bones out. This works pretty well for me. Just my .02 :)

Exactly the same thing I do...

I agree with skinning the fillets. I skin all the fillets. Dont let anyone tell ya you cant grill skinned fillets or smoke them. I do it all the time. It the smoker the fish has a better taste as the smoke gets to all sides of the meat. I also remove the lat line fat. It will make your fish taste so much better doing that.

Agree with the other guys.

Now keep you're pieces of meat that have the bones in a seperate bag . We keep those from all season then take the larger fish and fall fish and pressure cook that meat. Tablespoon of salt and french salad dressing in a pint jar , pressure cook per cooker instructions . Very good with crackers and also good with a very small amount of relish and mayo mixed in

:thumb:

Agree with the other guys.

Now keep you're pieces of meat that have the bones in a seperate bag . We keep those from all season then take the larger fish and fall fish and pressure cook that meat. Tablespoon of salt and french salad dressing in a pint jar , pressure cook per cooker instructions . Very good with crackers and also good with a very small amount of relish and mayo mixed in

:thumb:

I know canning sucker the bones turn soft. I didn't think that would happen with salmon? Sounds good.

Some guys sit there with pliers and pull the bones. I tried it and hated the time it took. Now i run my fingers downe the bones find where it ends and cut the tail off the is now bonless. take your knife and start on one side and feel the bones as you cut down that piece is now boneless. Do the same in the other side. you loose a piece that is about the thickness of a piece of bacon and have no bones in the fillet. It takes a little practice but once you get it, it is easy to do. When you come in some day meet me at the fish cleaning station in holland and i can show you. As far as the ribs i cut the fillets off the spine then remove them.

exactly what I do.