Wow, this is going to be an expensive hobby:)

sslopok

I thought fishing in general was an expensive gig, but big water fishing takes things to a whole new level:eek:

I hada $50 gift card to Gander Mountain, so the family went this morning to do some shopping. Here is a pic of what I bought. How did I do?

I bought:

8"SD white crush glow

8" dreamweaver paddle mtn dew/crush glow on white

8" dreamweaver paddle blue bubble/crush glow on white

dreamweaver action fly blue bubble

dreamweaver action fly blue dolphin

gander mountain brand blue dolphin spoon

gander mountain brand caramel dolphin spoon

10 pack of bechhold #6 snap swivels with piggybacks

and the girls had to have some jerky and gummy bears:D

I still need to buy some walker deeper diver dipsies, but gander only had luhr jenson dipsy divers, mono for dipsy reel backing, 30-40 lb braid for dipsy, 40 lb mono for leaders. After that I should be ready to atleast hit the water.

Below is what I have bought since December to get started:

*2 Walker Lake Ranger manual downriggers (came with 2 free walker downrigger rods) $200

*2 8 lb downrigger balls $40

* 2 penn 309 reels used $50

*2 17" betrs tracks $90

*2 berts ratcheting rod holders $90

*2 okuma 30d convector reel/rod combos $170

* used flashers,spoons,flies, and plugs(steal of a deal) $40

*2 traxstech downrigger swivels for tracks $110

* stuff bought today minus jerky and gummies $55

I probably have another $100 for the things I need.

I just hope I get out enough to make it all worth while. I can't wait to see a diver rod pop and start screaming:ps-020:

I thought fishing in general was an expensive gig, but big water fishing takes things to a whole new level:eek:

I hada $50 gift card to Gander Mountain, so the family went this morning to do some shopping. Here is a pic of what I bought. How did I do?

I bought:

8"SD white crush glow

I still need to buy some walker deeper diver dipsies, but gander only had luhr jenson dipsy divers, mono for dipsy reel backing, 30-40 lb braid for dipsy, 40 lb mono for leaders. After that I should be ready to atleast hit the water.

*2 Walker Lake Ranger manual downriggers (came with 2 free walker downrigger rods) $200

*2 17" betrs tracks $90

I just hope I get out enough to make it all worth while. I can't wait to see a diver rod pop and start screaming:ps-020:

I don't think you could be out there enough to truly justify the expense of big lake fishing once you add up the cost of gear, boat expenses, and fuel so I just try to take it in stride. It's my passion, my addiction, and even though there's always something you "need" every year you can't beat the experience.

Brandon, where do you plan on fishing out of. I fish mainly Pt. Sanilac with a few trips every spring and fall to Pt. Huron. If you go to lexington I don't believe the 8# balls will be a problem as it is quite shallow for several miles out. I keep a set of 4# balls on board for when I am fishing in the waters 30' or less. If you plan on running deep out of Sanilac or even Harbor Beach I certainly would say go heavier. I run 10's and 12's out of Sanilac and usually fish 50-70 down without much problems but occasionally the current kicks up and does add some blowback.

Brandon, where do you plan on fishing out of. I fish mainly Pt. Sanilac with a few trips every spring and fall to Pt. Huron. If you go to lexington I don't believe the 8# balls will be a problem as it is quite shallow for several miles out. I keep a set of 4# balls on board for when I am fishing in the waters 30' or less. If you plan on running deep out of Sanilac or even Harbor Beach I certainly would say go heavier. I run 10's and 12's out of Sanilac and usually fish 50-70 down without much problems but occasionally the current kicks up and does add some blowback.

I will most like be fishing Pt. Sanilac. The reason I got the 8's was because the max weight for the Walker Lake Rangers is 10 lbs. I played it safe and got the 8's. My reasoning is that I could deal with the blowback by just lowering it down more to hit my desired depth. I am going to start by running 2 dr's and 2 dipsys, nothing straight off the back yet. Is my reasoning off? I have no problem buying some 10's, but if I can manage with the 8's I will just use them.

+1 - don't ever tell your spouse what anything costs either and have it shipped to the office... just saying...

Thats fine as long as shes not fishing with you. My wife love to fish, loves to eat it even more so she doesnt' complain how much it costs. We both have Hobbes its just mine can put food on the table or the table it self.

I will most like be fishing Pt. Sanilac. The reason I got the 8's was because the max weight for the Walker Lake Rangers is 10 lbs. I played it safe and got the 8's. My reasoning is that I could deal with the blowback by just lowering it down more to hit my desired depth. I am going to start by running 2 dr's and 2 dipsys, nothing straight off the back yet. Is my reasoning off? I have no problem buying some 10's, but if I can manage with the 8's I will just use them.

8s will get you there but the lower you go the more they will blow back . I have used 8lb balls and will use them when I am shallow. Just not when I'm going to be running below 40ft.

I bought:

8"SD white crush glow

*2 17" betrs tracks $90

Get used to it????????

The money hasn't been too much of a big deal. Almost all of it came from a 1 hour sidejob. Should have probably been used to finish the bathroom I am adding on:). Just kinda got sick of walleye fishing all the time. I wanted to be set up for anything. Should be a blast.

Guess I should look for some used 10's. Hopefully my gunnels can take the 10's!

I would look at 12s if your riggers and boat can handle them.

You heard the joke about the wife selling a guys stuff for what he told her he paid for it right?

Just buy it and sneak it into the boat like i do. When she came on to the boat she looked and said i dont remeber all those rods. I replied i have always had all those...

Actually my wife knows and just shakes her head now and doen't complain to much most of the time.

I would look at 12s if your riggers and boat can handle them.

You heard the joke about the wife selling a guys stuff for what he told her he paid for it right?

Just buy it and sneak it into the boat like i do. When she came on to the boat she looked and said i dont remeber all those rods. I replied i have always had all those...

Actually my wife knows and just shakes her head now and doen't complain to much most of the time.

That's exactly what I do. :lol:My wife hasn't been out fishing with me so I've dodged the bullet for some time. The last time she went with me I had 10 rods, I've slowly, and methodically been adding rods over the last couple years. I now have 24 rods on my boat. If she ever goes out with me I'll either have to leave a few home, or have some "splaining" to do.:rolleyes: Deep down I know she knows though.

Like I always tell my wife, all hobbies are expensive. Very few of them pay well:) I actually made a deal with my wife where I tell her everything that I buy and she doesn't get mad. She would rather have me do that than try to sneak things by her. So far, so good. She doen't really care about the how's and why's but I try to explain some of the reasons behind the different gear, it seems to help. And I always point out when I refrain from buying something or when I get a good deal. And if you can somehow make it about being safe on the water that helps, too. If you have to many issues with the 8's Brandon let me know, I have a set of 8# pancakes that would reduce the blowback. But I don't think it will be to bad. I ran 10#ers when I had manuals with no issues.

Its all worth it. Especially when you can take kids along.

Soon you will get to have these kind of moments.

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_9708.jpg

CRW_5651.jpg

My boys are 3 and 5 years old. I want them to stay little, but the other side of me says I can't wait to experience days like your pictures. That's awesome. Makes you proud to be a dad doesn't it?

There is a simple solution to the wifey side of this post... get her into it. My wife fishes with me and she makes a darn good first mate, or is it captain as it is her boat. Once you convince her you can tell her about the free shipping options if you buy enough tackle. That works until you get all of that free shipping and you end up not having the hot bait. Look out for that. It's great that kids learn about fishing but they eventually move away and then again the wife can be a great partner. NOthing wrong with owning a nice boat you both enjoy!!!

Problem with getting the wife into it is that she gets violently sea sick in any kind of waves. She gets queasy in any movement besides straight. it even sucks driving somewhere as there are times we have to stop so she can get out and get her bearings again.

I wish i could she could drive for me..

I tell my wife about all the purchases. She just says whatever. When she gets mad that I bought something, "I just say we talked about it and you said it was cool". I do a lot of side jobs that bring in $$$ also. Side job money pretty much pays for all my fun/toys/hobbies. That makes purchases easier to explain also.

I'm hoping my 3 and 5 year old girls will want to be my first and second mates when the time comes.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont really go out of my way to tell the wife. but i dont really hide it from her. but then i have the same wife i,ve had for 40 years this dec. the other day i was looking at 6 of the cannon ratcheting rod holders at amazon.com. she asked how much are they. they had them for 62.00 each for 6. i told her the price. she said we have the money right now why dont you go ahead and order them. i couldnt come up with a good reason not to.lol. but i hadnt told her about the 2 big jon pro tournaments that i had just bought off ebay for 510.00. and she may never know. but i do think i would survive. but over the years most of my fishing has been paid for with overtime.

....sherman....