Whats your favorite brand of downrigger

i like walkers they are real smooth and the auto ball retrievel is just awesome. and the new ones with the new motore are really fast. and all the new ones come with auto stop. i,ve seen them on charter boats i,ve used.

but i settled for big jons because of the cost. i got 2 sportsmans last year and run 13 lb pancake weights. one of them kicked the breaker a few times but other than that they worked great. i got them new for 450.00 for both on ebay. this year i got 2 upgraded ones the pro tournaments with the bigger faster motor and auto stop new for 510.00 on ebay. you cant touch a pair of walkers with all the bells and whistels for that price.

i also bought the auto stops for my sportsmans. havent used them yet but think im going to like the auto stop feature. and the thing i like best besides the price i paid is the flex in the booms. i just dont think its as hard on all your gear. i think im going to be happy with the pro tournaments. and i am very thankful for what i have. these are my first electric riggers that i,ve owned. good luck to all and have a great season.

....sherman....

Nearly all of the charter boats in cabo have used cannon and walker for slow trolling live skipjack for the BIG pelagic species, but we were recently given the opportunity to use Big Jon's by a gracious donation from John Williams to the pochos fleet. I think you will see Big Jons on all of the pochos fleet before to long. If they can hold up to the saltwater they truly are a bulletproof rigger.

• 8 months later...

Walker downriggers have been and will continue to be the #1 brand of downriggers for sportfisherman. 1. The price is ideal for any angler. Any angler can find a rigger that meets thier price budget. If they want something small then start off with the hand cranks and upgrade them as you get more money. 2. All the parts are interchangeable. You dont have to spend $700 to $1100. If you do have that much to spend, then get a rigger with all the same qualities as the other, but you get the underwater camera. When it comes to a trustworthy downrigger, go with the original one who's been around the longest, go with walker!

Currently have big jons with lots of years in service, can't complain they have been great and will need to be replaced. Thinking of Vectors if only they would finish what they started, hint...hint, if your listening.

• 2 weeks later...

That would have to be the only downriggers I've had on my boat. Big Jon Manuel's....had them on boat for about 6 yrs and haven't had any trouble. Bought them used when I started salmon fishing. Dependable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have electric Cannons and they came with the boat. If I was going to buy some the would be Big Jon or the Vectors.

My older Cannons had some issues and parts were not available. I repaired them. Cannons and their customer service was a lot better before they changed hands. Too much plastic in the Cannons.

I have electric Cannons and they came with the boat. If I was going to buy some the would be Big Jon or the Vectors.

My older Cannons had some issues and parts were not available. I repaired them. Cannons and their customer service was a lot better before they changed hands. Too much plastic in the Cannons.

knock on wood, I have older cannon digitrol II's so far no issues. if they puke I would be looking at either the Vector's or Walkers.

I have 4 Captain pack Big Jon downriggers and I haven't had any problems. I used my Grandpa's manual Riviera's for a season before I got the big jons. They worked flawless. They were as fast as you could crank and never had any electrical issues. They were over 20 yrs old!

I prefer the walkers. I would also not hesitate to buy Cannons. like anything they will last, as well as, you take care of them. they are all going to have mechanical an electrical issue at some point however my walkers were 10 seasons old and worked flawlessly with no issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've had Walkers (slow)

Cannons, not sure what model but they were electric with dual rod holders. (just didn't care for them)

Big Jon captain paks, loved em but they went with the boat when it sold.

New boat I put Brutes on and love em. Wanted more speed and the tip up arms are nice.

My Big Jons are well over 20 years old they began life as Senior models 4 or 5 years ago I upgraded the motors and gear boxes to Speed Rigger motors. They are scarry fast John Williams told me 265ft a min with a 15lb ball I wish they had auto stops but they draw over 30 amps and no one makes a auto stop that will handle that in a price I am willing to pay. They are old and well worn but still fish every day.

• 4 months later...

I have had Cannons on other boats...they've been a good rigger with not much problems...maybe a up/down elect. switch go bad on one of them..but thats about it.

Last decade I 've owned Big Jons...mainly because they're made about a 1/2 hr from my home here in Northern Michigan. Only issue I've had is 2 bad motors on the new Tournament electrics...Big Jon in Interlochen had me going the same day .They're about 3/4 of an hr from my marina dock.

Over the years I've broken a couple rigger arms where the coupling is for rod boom extension pieces hooks together to make a 4ft rigger arm...Have'nt had that happen on their newer riggers. This happened several times on their Capts.Pak model I had 10 yrs ago. Bye in large they've been pretty reliable over the years for the heavy use I've given them.

One thing I do like is that Big Jons rigger arms flex...letting me know I have a small fish on that has'nt broken my rubber band release.

Scotty makes a great weight retriever so you don't have to lift Big Jons rigger arm to rehook a line to the rigger release. Hate lifting a rigger arm in rolling seas and having a cannon ball swinging around trying hook up a line again.

So to sum it up...their factory being close by is the big factor for me buying Big Jons..

2d6ths6.jpg