Wire dipsey setups vs. Drop curtain

MY2SONS

Guys, I'm in need of some help. I'm looking at adding some wire dipsey setups to my arsenal, but I've never ran wire before. :confused: Any advice on how to set them up? Any advice is helpful. Also, I was thinking about adding a drop curtain to my boat to enclose the cabin for those cold Spring/Fall mornings, but I can only afford to either get a set of wire dipses, or get the drop curtain. What would you guys do? I know a drop curtain doesn't put fish in the boat, but it does make it more comfortable so you don't freeze your rocks off. Thanks in advance.

Our rig came with a drop curtian and while I am glad I have it I have only used on the water 2 times and then I had to take it down while fishing. Other than that its on in the driveway to keep the birds out.

I have curtain also and Its nice on the cool days or when its raining, but my vote would be wire divers, if your avatar is your boat you can get out of most cold and rain, 50 bucks will buy you a Mr. Heater to warm hands up.

I have curtain also and Its nice on the cool days or when its raining, but my vote would be wire divers, if your avatar is your boat you can get out of most cold and rain, 50 bucks will buy you a Mr. Heater to warm hands up.

Yes, my avatar is a pic of my boat. I was leaning towards the divers. Thanks for the input.

had the dispy out ever time caught nothing lol

but it was better then the drop curtain never used once

This year i have to get one on the dam dispy lol

Best of Luck to all

Strik

Please no more snow just got another 4 inches last night cant win

had the dispy out ever time caught nothing lol

We need to get that fixed for you.

1, What kind of lead are you running behind your diver?

2, What are you using (spoon, flasher)?

3, do you know how deep the diver is running?

We need to get that fixed for you.

1, What kind of lead are you running behind your diver?

2, What are you using (spoon, flasher)?

3, do you know how deep the diver is running?

Hey thanks

I was running a small lead like 3 to 4 feet. Always spoons never a flasher Used the walker deeper diver was using a dispy but found it would not track right. Seemed the walker was running right i know my lead was way to short i have 9 foot rod and will try the longest lead i can. I never ran that much line maybe 150 to 190 out .

I have learned a lot on this site and have some ideas on what to change longer leads and more line out. Not many people seem to run flys around here but am willing to give it a try.

Any tips you have would be great

Thanks

Strik

8' lead on the diver, if you can handle it. In the spring a spoon is ok, but as the water warms, a flasher and fly will produce consistently better fish. Learn as much as you can as to where your divers are running. When the fish are deep, use the 1 or 1.5 setting. In cold water, and shallow fish, use the 3 setting. A good way to determine depth is; troll towards shore, and watch for them to hit bottom. Check the line out and do the math for depth. Divers will dive a a fairly steady rate. Say it's a 1-3 ratio. 1 down for 3 out, and you want to hit 70' down. just let out 210' of line. While this is not exact, and a diver will only go so deep before the drag pulls it back, it's a nice starting point. Unless your after spooky shallow fish, stick with the lower settings.

My 124 walkers set to 1 will dive at a 1-2 rate, and my dipsey divers with mag rings set to 2.5 will dive at a 1-3 rate.

When the fish are bunched up at the temp break, don't be afraid to set every thing that deep.

• 1 month later...

just my 2 pennies. thats what they make coats for. looks like you can get outa the rain on your boat. but the more lines you have in the water the better chance you have of catching fish. the sooner you catch a fish the sooner everybody gets warmed up. make sense??

....sherman....

Thats easy...A RESOUNDING WIRE DIPSEYS!!!! HOT HOT HOT!!!!

I run Daiwa SG47LCA with power handles and 1000' of 30# wire. No backer, just put some electrical tape on the spool for the wire to bite into. It fills that reel perfectly. Wind the wire on TIGHT. Id recommend your first time out you hook on a lead ball, small dipsey etc and let a fair amount of line out and then just wind it back on. Reason being, if your wire is loosely spooled the line going to your bait can cut down into the line on the spool and get stuck if a big fish applies some pressure. Good luck getting it out. So, spool it tight.

Next, youll need a rod. There are a few options to choose from. You can use a standard rod provided it has a twilli tip, or you can use a titanium guided rod from JR tackle, or my personal favorite is a roller guided rod. Im a big fan of both Daiwa Heartland Roller Rods as well as the Shimano Talora Roller rods. They have swivel tips and aftco guides so you dont have to worry about the wire jumping off the rollers like it can on models like the early Okuma rods. Tony from Eyeful Custom Rods also has a section here on the site and im sure he can fix you up.

Lastly, when setting up i like to put on a short piece(1") of surgical tubing on the wire, then a bead and then tie on the swivel with this knot. At all times keep your wire taught. Otherwise it can coil and kink. Just reel the bait right up to the tip top and the tube will act like a shock and keeps tension on. Sounds like allot, but if you know the do's and donts, its no big deal.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Good luck with your decision.