Anyone Run Trolling Bags

I have a kicker on my boat which I use almost exclusively for trolling as I always struggle to get down slow enough with my main engine (below 2.2 mph). I have run a sock in the past and it works good (kind of a hassle) but it has destructed. Im looking at picking up a couple of socks for this year. What brands/sizes work well and also last more than a year? Thanks

A drift sock will not hold up for trolling. You need to get trolling bags.

If you opt for bags call Dick Boyajian in Manistee at (231) 723-0013.

Dick is a local retiree who makes an excellent quality trolling bag at a very fair price, and will help determine what bag you need.

Or a some guys like the Amish bags.

I use a pair of bags from Big Papa Sports. Any of the companies that make the high quality bags will help you with sizing. I like using 2 bags as it helps hold the boat straight and keeps it form bouncing around.

A drift sock looks like a trolling bag. But it is not constructed strong enough to handle the strain of being pulled by a boat. Trolling bags are heavier and specifically made to slow a boat while trolling. A drift sock is made to slow a boat while drifting, not under power.

I have a pair of the Amish buggy bags. Actually its the beefy buggy bags which for a few bucks more are even heavier. I have them both pretied and attached to cleats so I can throw them over the side or pull the dump line to get them out of the way should a fish take a run under the boat. I did re prop the boat to slow it down and only use them now with a stiff wind on my backside.

I run two bags constructed by a boat canvas place in Tawas MI. They have used them for 7 years. These were constructed with some of their leftover material. Mine are two different colors. I leave them rigged all the time so it's quick to get them in the water. I run them mid ship so they are out of the fishing area on my 22 ft Islander. They have done me well. I use them every trip. I do a ton of walleye trolling and these bags not only slow the boat they stabilize it in rougher seas. I don't have a kicker. The drawback I have noticed with kickers is in rough seas, the control is not near as good as running the main engine and using bags. I hope this helps.:)

I run bags nearly every time I am out.

Makes the boat more steady, easier to control turns, when the waves are 3+ it keeps the boat in the water. MANY advantages.

You MUST spend money though if you want them to last a year or longer.

I spent 65 a bag on "drift" bags. Trashed in less than a season.

Finally I spent 125 a bag for "trolling" bags and they are awesome.

They are also repairable if you do, for example, try to get up on plain with the bags still in the water. hahaha. SO, I am not the smartest guy on the water.

I have bags from Big Papa and Amish outfitters.Both are awsome people and awsome bags.You can't go wrong with these guys.I run one bag off each side ,tied on the front cleat with the dump rope tied to one of my rear rodholders.Very easy to just throw them over.(once hooked up we just pull them in and flop them over the gunnel between passes). I predominately walleye fish so I need a few different sizes of bags.