Free Slider Leader Lengths

Well, that's kinda a tricky question, depends on alot of variables. For everyday usage, I use a free slider, (some rubber band it), with about a 3'-5' lead. I drop the first lure attached to the ball, and may use a 6' up to 12' lead back. I follow that up usually with a similar or same lure to the slider and put that about 10'-15' above the bottom lure. I've seen some guys use a trick slider about half way down the depth of the original lure with a 15'-20' lead too. Trouble is, the further away the slider is from the main lure, the easier to lose the fish, and the big hook up will be time delayed quite a bit too, so you've got to keep those variables in mind. I like sliders alot, because you can run 2 lures on the same rod, thus doubling your chance for the bite, sometimes doubling your amount of fish on the same rod too, now that's really cool, as long as they are both not massive big fish, then there may be a problemo, depending on the anglers abilities, and the line test being used. Thanks and have fun. P.S. When I get/boat both fish on the same rod, I always called it a "double-bubble".

One factor I would consider with the free slider is your ability to net the fish. When you get a fish on the slider you will only be able to reel up till the main spoon gets to the eyes of the rod. Now if you have an 8 foot slider you will need to be able to lift the rod or walk back far enough to be able to net the fish. I use about 6 feet for free sliders on my boat. On Erie we sometimes get double headers with a Rainbow on the slider and a walleye on the main spoon. You need to be able to net both as well so you won't want to long a slider. You will have to be able to net the fish on the main first lift up and reel up and then be able to scoop the second fish. It's fun the first time you try it. Well for that mater its always fun. Here is a double header from last August on Erie. Can't wait to get back on the open water.

sm_Hpim0186.jpg

3 to 10 feet depending on your rig and rigger spread....4-6 is pretty standard but i like em on the long side of this....but its mostly because of the configuration of my riggers....my out downs are ahead of my back riggers and short ones get into the cables sometimes

I run sliders all the time any sea conditions. I run sliders that are 3 -4 foot long and never have tangles. I only have three riggers on my boat and the beam is 10 foot. I did run four riggers on my old boat that had a 8 foot beam. If the lake was rough I only ran two sliders to help prevent tangles. I use blacks releases and sharpen all hooks even on new spoons. I rarely loose fish on sliders. If I start getting short hits I speed up a little and the hook will catch them. I do put alot of bend in my rigger rods. I usually run my sliders free so they are around half the depth of cannon ball. I do not run a slider on a SWR, or a line with a spin doctor and fly. Those are the only setups when I do not have three sliders. Watch the hook on the lower lure when netting. I have never been hooked but had some close calls. Most of the time when two fish are caught I think one was hitching a ride. Rarely do I catch 2 nice fish at the same time on the same pole. Pay attention to the rod tips and you will see when you have a hitch hiker. Sometimes a small hitch hiker will turn off the bite on your whole spread.

I run sliders all the time any sea conditions. I run sliders that are 3 -4 foot long and never have tangles. I only have three riggers on my boat and the beam is 10 foot. I did run four riggers on my old boat that had a 8 foot beam. If the lake was rough I only ran two sliders to help prevent tangles. I use blacks releases and sharpen all hooks even on new spoons. I rarely loose fish on sliders. If I start getting short hits I speed up a little and the hook will catch them. I do put alot of bend in my rigger rods. I usually run my sliders free so they are around half the depth of cannon ball. I do not run a slider on a SWR, or a line with a spin doctor and fly. Those are the only setups when I do not have three sliders. Watch the hook on the lower lure when netting. I have never been hooked but had some close calls. Most of the time when two fish are caught I think one was hitching a ride. Rarely do I catch 2 nice fish at the same time on the same pole. Pay attention to the rod tips and you will see when you have a hitch hiker. Sometimes a small hitch hiker will turn off the bite on your whole spread.

Yes I hear you on the hitchhikers. We will often get a small walleye or perch (lake erie) Coho or Pink (lake huron) for a hitchhiker. I am not sure what happened in the pic I posted. It is a fair size Walleye and it was not drowned from hitchhiking but rahther fresh and fiesty. I have a Charter Captain friend who will start pulling his rigger lines of the clips to trigger strikes when the bite is off and it does work. And it does go to show that a change in action of the bait will trigger a strike when you have followers.

I do also as you said load up or put a lot of bend on my rods as well.

I use free sliders a lot and I never like to have more than 5' of leader makes it easier to net fish. 1 thing u need to do is make sure u have a stop above your bottom bait to keep the snap swivel on the slider fm going down and opening up your bottom swivel I have found that a small bead above the terminal swivel works well. The free slider will settle at the apex of your blow back in your line. It is usually somewhere about 2/3 to 3/4 of the depth your fishing.