How many downriggers?

I am picking up my first boat in a couple weeks- 24' Thompson, comes with two walker downriggers and he has two more he would sell me for a reasonable price. I do not have any other gear, but I hate to pass up a good deal. Should I buy the walkers or should I invest my money elsewhere? Like I said, new here and am learning the basics, I haven't been salmon fishing since the early ninety's :o. Thanks- Dale

Well first of all, are there holes for mounting the extra two riggers on the boat now, and why charge extra for them if you are buying the entire rigged boat? Second question is, do you want electrics or manuals, electrics are more preferable naturally, and any rigger now costs alot more than the 90's of course. Everyone has their preference on the make of rigger they like, so, do you like Walkers, had them before, and what condition are these in? Do the extra ones match the existing? If not, consider a whole new set of 3-4, depending on your budget and preference of rods to run.

I would take into account how many rods or number of people u would normally fish with. I have 2 riggers and usually use one. I fish with 2 people usual though so only 6 rods. Its nice to have the riggers on a hot rigger bite or lots on board but weigh this vs the cost. To be honest if the holes are there i would prob want them with the boat. Sucks having holes that dont match anything. Just my 2 cents:)

Congrats on the new boat Dale! Personally I like having four riggers on the boat but I think two would be a good place for you to start. Use the money you saved from the riggers and pick up some diver and copper or lead core setups. If you have any pictures of the new ride we would love to see them!

Congrats on the new boat Dale! Personally I like having four riggers on the boat but I think two would be a good place for you to start. Use the money you saved from the riggers and pick up some diver and copper or lead core setups. If you have any pictures of the new ride we would love to see them!

I agree with what is said here. If they are older walkers than hold off. the new electrics have a new motor in them that really kicks but up and down. They will also pull a 15 lb weight where the old motors struggle with a 12 lb. I personall like four riggers. I know the tourney guys like three because of the 9 rod rule. but i like the four riggers in the water. When they are the hot rods the fourth helps pile fish into the cooler. other thing i donr like is my cable so close to the outdrive. My friend tried the three and smoehow put a weight into his prop. Dont know how but that kind of made me think that four ft off the back isnt far enough from the outdrive. Inboard would be different as the prop is in the tunnel under the boat. But if that boat has an outdrive i wouldn't want a chute rigger.

Dale, Welcome to the site. Some good advice already.

Some things to consider.

1, when will you be fishing? The rigger bite is best at first/last light

2, How many will be fishing with you?

I've come to really like only 2 riggers. Both off the corners, with swivel bases. This will leave plenty of room to net fish off the back of your boat.

Thanks for the replies, will be fishing 4 people sometimes 6. The boat already was rigged for the riggers, he was going to sell the riggers separately, I talked him into giving me two and he would cut me a deal on the others. I do not know the models but he said they cost him 600 a piece new.

Don't think I will be able to make it out for sunrise, mainly evening fishing. I do not have very good pics right now of the boat, its in a pole barn with limited space to take pics, will post some when I get it in the driveway.

If the owner paid $600 a piece for the old riggers, they've got to be electric, and the holes are already there, so if he wants say $400 or less for the pair, and in nice condition, get them. They can always be used to hold or move rods around if not in usage, and usually be quick-released to store in the cabin when not in use. Plus a 24' Thompson are all outdrives I believe, so these must be corner or out-and-down riggers. With 4-6 pp fishing it's a wise investment to have them, imho. If time and money permit, maybe have them looked at for possible overhauling with heavier cable for heavier balls too. Thanks and good luck.

$600 walkers, sound like the tournament series. Either way the are good riggers. With that many helpers, it's a good investment. As dark approaches, put Moonshine spoons on every one, and wait for the fun to begin.

what kind of deal is he willing to give you on the two other riggers?

If you look on the walker sticker on the side it says the model on there. Ask him for that and the year purchased and the call Niel at the walker service center and he can tell you if they are the faster new motor. (269) 673-7442 ASlo find out if they come with swivel bases and single or dual rod holders or single rod holder and no swivel bases. as they were sold both ways.

You can buy the new tournament series for 350 at the shows and if they are the old motors to upgrade to the new motors is a bit of an expense with new switches at 20 and the motor at 125. Also you have to maching the spool for the new shaft as it is bigger. I had my cousin put mine on a bridgeport and bore the hole a little larger. Just some food for thought for ya.

WOW nice clean boat. I really liked my dads Thompson. I have been thinking of a new boat and am thinking of the new thompson that just came back on the market in 09. I am waiting right now as they are supposed to be bringing the 26 footer back out also from talking with them. I was thinking of chartering and it would be a great starter boat.

http://thompsonboatsdirect.com/

• 5 weeks later...

i think mainly it just depends on how many people your going to fish. i fish with a boat load of family and friends. so i bought 2 new riggers so i could get more lines in the water.

the riggers must be in good condition or i wouldnt even consider them. you can usely get some real nice walkers on ebay at a great price. they have some right now that are nice with the auto ball retrieval and auto stop. but my first item would be how many rods do you need in the water.

....sherman....