Question for people with combo units

This might be a dumb question, but can you change the size of each display? Can you change the display so that it only shows either the sonar or the gps? One of my friends just bought a new boat and he wants to install 2 5" units, one sonar and one gps. But you can buy a combo unit for the same price as a gps. So he was wondering if you could just have it show the gps screen on the combo unit. Then if something happened to the sonar he could just plug it in to the combo unit and be off and running. He is looking mostly at Humminbird, Garmin and Raymarine. Thanks.

I have a Garmin Combo, It has a 4 inch color screen. you can do just GPS, depth graph or combo both, very easy to switch between. I think it is a 440 series. had it for two years now. I leave it on GPS most of the time as I still have my old depth unit mounted right next to it.

I have the humminbird 788ci, and can run both at once, or either one on its own. One thing to remember is that with the smaller screens, mine is a 5", it is difficult to see both at the same time. I wish i had a slightly larger screen, or two seperate 5" units.

The Humming bird on the walleye boat can do like what was said above. Plus you can chose (turn off/hide) what screen you want to appear as you scroll though them. There is about 8 different screen options, but I only use 3-4 of then,

He is planning on getting 2 seperate 5" units, just thought about getting a combo to use as a GPS so he would have a back up sonar. The price for the combo unit is almost the same as a stand alone plotter.

I run 2 5" Humminbird units. 1 is a combo (788) the other is sonar only (786). You can run the combo unit in full screen either sonar or gps or split screen. I run 2 because I wanted a back up to the gps if 1 would stop working when I am 3-10 miles out on the big lake. So far no glitches and I love these units.

John

I just put in an HDS5 , kept my old x96 to use for depth finding as I mainly wanted a chart/plotter. You can run them all kinds of ways , but for me I will run mine as a chart only and use my other locator for depth. Mine also came with the insight maps preinstalled.

• 7 months later...