leader length on leadcore

Hi,

For some reason, I'm trying to set up my reels this year and am having a serious mindblock. How many feet of fluoro do you normally put on your lead core rods at the beginning of the season? I know you cut it down over the year until it hits a certain length but I can't remember any of that.

Thanks

I start with 90 ft and replace when it is 10 foot. I prefer the longer lengths so I know when to get the net. The longer leaders run a differrant depth than a short lead but all my cores have a long lead so I am still covering many depths in the water column.

Funny i just brought this up at a show this weekend.

Most guys I talke to run anywhere from 20-50 ft. Here are the reasonings behing their decisions.....

The guys who run the longer leads will be using them frequently and cutting them back constantly. Longer just makes this easier. The guys who run shorter leads truly believe that the short leader puts more action to the spoon due to the way the leadcore moves around in the water. Too long of a leader and you lose the extra action.

For me, I usually run 20-25ft of 15lb flourcarbon leader material but I'm ONLY using clean spoons off my leadcores. I've had no breakage with the lighter flourocarbon and believe the short leader makes my spoon move around much more in the water column.

I haven't had to cut back much, but I let me leaders get to 15ft before i consider retying the whole thing.

The guys who run the longer leads will be using them frequently and cutting them back constantly. Longer just makes this easier.

absolutely, if i had to replace the leader everytime i had to cut back a foot or four i would go nuts! sometimes it would be numerous times a day on the same rod.

Part of leadcore's seductive appeal is it's ability to "snake" through the water. With a shorter leader, you're transferring much more of the leadcore's movement to the business end of the presentation. On more than one occasion I've cut back my leader during a trip (especially if theres some wave action) and immediately begun to see improved results.

20-25' leader for me.

Part of leadcore's seductive appeal is it's ability to "snake" through the water. With a shorter leader, you're transferring much more of the leadcore's movement to the business end of the presentation. On more than one occasion I've cut back my leader during a trip (especially if theres some wave action) and immediately begun to see improved results.

20-25' leader for me.

Kind of suprised your the first person to mention and think of that.

I agree with the movement thing, super long leaders cancel that out. I put on 4 passes and replace when it get to about 15 feet.

Funny i just brought this up at a show this weekend.

Most guys I talke to run anywhere from 20-50 ft. Here are the reasonings behing their decisions.....

The guys who run the longer leads will be using them frequently and cutting them back constantly. Longer just makes this easier. The guys who run shorter leads truly believe that the short leader puts more action to the spoon due to the way the leadcore moves around in the water. Too long of a leader and you lose the extra action.

For me, I usually run 20-25ft of 15lb flourcarbon leader material but I'm ONLY using clean spoons off my leadcores. I've had no breakage with the lighter flourocarbon and believe the short leader makes my spoon move around much more in the water column.

I haven't had to cut back much, but I let me leaders get to 15ft before i consider retying the whole thing.

Sorry you said it too.

20-25' leader for me.

Hmm, I'll have to try that, although we can tell our friend to tie on a 50 footer!!!:D

Man i never understood that horses**t about lengths of 50+ ft it just doesnt make ne sence on lead core....i usally put on about 20 feet and replace it when it gets down to a rod length or less.....My best core last year was a 20 color that i run out 3-4 when i harbor fish....i only put a 5 ft leader on this rod cause i thought it would save me from cut offs well it worked out deep to......and you can fill the reels fuller with core or copper if you dont have 50-150 ft of mono on there.....wtf does 10+ lvl winds do except put more drag on a rod thats already out 100 yards..... except lose depth and increase the likely hood of geting it cut off by 150 ft when your in a pack of boats.

25'+/- of 20# fluro or copolymer and I tend to replace the leader once it is under 10'. 25' gives me a little room to retie w/ 12-15' being optimal. There is no doubt shorter leaders take full advantage of the "swaying" action that leadcore has in the water and the "swaying" action is one of the biggest reasons leadcore puts fish in the boat.