Ridgeback Rattler Downrigger Weights

Ok, so I finally get an up close look at these @ the Birch Run show this weekend. Spent a bit of time looking them over and talking with the rep. They certainly have my attention. Of interest was the flat bottom = no more rolling around the boat. He claimed that there is less blow back on these due to their angle of hang which is quite similar to a dipsy and also supposedly do not swing out on the turns.

Search on this site revealed only a couple people that used them with no real info. So if any of you have used these I would be interested in your honest opinions. 1. Do they seem to have less blow back 2. Do they track true and not swing out wild on the turns 3. Any other issues with them.

While their price is really not out of line with any other balls I just don't want to invest on another set that basically does the same as all the others.

This might sound opinonated but I fully believe if you are using a 12 pound round ball and having to much blow back you are trolling way to fast. When your fishing over 100 feet most people are using a flasher fly for kings or lakers, blow back shouldn't be an issue at 1.7 - 2.0. If your ripping them at 2.2-2.6 their isn't a weight out their that won't have a ton of blow back.

This might sound opinonated but I fully believe if you are using a 12 pound round ball and having to much blow back you are trolling way to fast. When your fishing over 100 feet most people are using a flasher fly for kings or lakers, blow back shouldn't be an issue at 1.7 - 2.0. If your ripping them at 2.2-2.6 their isn't a weight out their that won't have a ton of blow back.

i troll at 3 plus miles an hour with spoons for fall steelhead,sometimes 100 plus feet down and the bigger weights are a must.they are nice when you have heavy curents at diffrent depths too.i added brutes this year so there will be a couple #20ers on my boat for sure:thumb:

I guess maybe I should toss in some background on my trolling styles. In over 30 years of trolling I have tried just about every ball made, from fish shaped, pancakes, torpedo types, teardrop and rounds. Yes I do like to troll fast with 3.0sog to the low side and 3.8 on the higher side. Blow back for me is usually not an issue as I am not running them overly deep. When I do go downtown speed is slowed accordingly. I run mostly clean spoons and a few body baits, very seldom flashers or bells unless plying deep for lakers.

The real kicker here is I do fish in the St. Clair river for early season and fall silver and lake trout. If you have ever fished the river in Pt. Huron you will know the current runs at over 5 and increase the closer you get to the international bridge. Add that with the forward momentum of trolling into the current the speeds are as well increased. Towards the bridge the depths run from 40 - 60'. Ball performance is at a maximum in these conditions, simple changes in direction and the balls will fly. To return and head back downriver means kicking up the throttle and making a rather quick turn to keep my stuff free of tangles.

So hence this is why I specifically asked about the Ridgebacks.

I guess maybe I should toss in some background on my trolling styles. In over 30 years of trolling I have tried just about every ball made, from fish shaped, pancakes, torpedo types, teardrop and rounds. Yes I do like to troll fast with 3.0sog to the low side and 3.8 on the higher side. Blow back for me is usually not an issue as I am not running them overly deep. When I do go downtown speed is slowed accordingly. I run mostly clean spoons and a few body baits, very seldom flashers or bells unless plying deep for lakers.

The real kicker here is I do fish in the St. Clair river for early season and fall silver and lake trout. If you have ever fished the river in Pt. Huron you will know the current runs at over 5 and increase the closer you get to the international bridge. Add that with the forward momentum of trolling into the current the speeds are as well increased. Towards the bridge the depths run from 40 - 60'. Ball performance is at a maximum in these conditions, simple changes in direction and the balls will fly. To return and head back downriver means kicking up the throttle and making a rather quick turn to keep my stuff free of tangles.

So hence this is why I specifically asked about the Ridgebacks.

Wow, those are some crazy conditions your faced with. I think stinger makes a 24 pound weight. At a possible 6mph that might help. If not hope the ridgebacks work for you.:thumb:

I have a 20# Ridgeback and I like it. It tracks well and blowback is certainly less than a 15# round or pancake but I can't compare it of anything of similar weight. I read somewhere that the Torpedo Diver guys have a 20# weight now, which sounds intersting.

I use 2 stinger 15# wts, I can troll up to 2.7 mph and the blow back is minimal. They are flat and have an adjustable rear tail that keeps them from tangling on turns or in cross currents. If i go to 4 riggers I use the stingers on the short arm corner riggers and 12# round finned balls on the long arms. The stingers will get u down 150' with a minimum of blowback and the 12# balls are good down to about 80'.