Brads cut plug question

I buy them unrigged so I can do them myself. The hooks they come with are a joke! I change that out for a #2 or #1 Owner and rig them on 40lb. Seaguar Florocarbon.

My favorite "filling" for them... For Lakers on Superior - Smashed Sucker Meat, For Kings on Michigan - Tuna in Oil (which I also mix minced garlic into). Not a fan of just using a scent in these, as I belive the "particle trail" that is left by the bits of meat coming out is a huge benifit.

My 2 most productive rigs so far with them have been... Run clean on the SWR rigger, set below 3 or 4 Flasher/Fly combos on the higher riggers/divers. I always ran this set-up with a Plug down deep on the SWR, but the Brads have been out producing the plugs lately.

Or I like them on a Wire Diver, 30" behind a 10" White Spin Doctor. I have also had some sucess while hunting for Steelies running them clean on 2-6 colors of Lead, or run clean about 100' back of a Slide Diver.

My 2 best King colors have been Wonderbread (down deep) and Blue Magic (all over) For Lakers the "old yeller" pattern (all silver w/ chartruse head and tail) is a Killer!!

My favorite thing about them is how slow you can troll them and still get a great action. I can mix them in with my meat rig spreads that I pull at <2mph and Lake Trout spreads on Superior where I am barely moving sometimes.....yet at a 3.5mph Steelie-Search-Mode speed they stll catch fish.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Are you using single or trebles? how are you tying them up and how are you rigging them on the bait as i see different ways to set up the hooks? HGuess i should have been more specefic on what i meant. I am tring to figure out the best hook set up.

Sorry Aaron....See if this helps...

111.jpg

2222.jpg

I use the 40lb. Floro for a leader. I slide on 1 small bead, and then tie on a 50lb. ball bearing swivel. The I run a split ring through the swivel on one end, and I use mostly Owner #2 Trebles on the other. The bead is more to get my spacing right, as I like the treble to be just off the back of the bait. This set-up worked flawlessly for me last season, and makes me far more confident than the "stock" set-up.

:thumb:

Thanks john i like that set up. I tried tying all different setups to see what i liked and didn't like. A friend of mine does a double snell and has one hook in the hook channel. I like your set up a little better though. What size bead is that a 4 or 6 mm.

John, do you leave the beadchain on the opposite end? I tried running these once last year and tied it directly to a large paddle. When I brought it in the line was twisted horribly so it never saw the water again. I have a wonderbread and a green one. I plan on trying them again this year, hopefully I can get them setup right and will have more confidence in them.

Aaron...Not sure on the exact size? I think a 4 sounds right. I have seen the double set-up as well. This is just easier for me to do and rigged like this, like my J-Plugs, when a fish bites, the bait can slide up the line away from the hook.

Paulywood... Good Point! Yes, you MUST have a beadchain or swivel at other the end of the leader as well to prevent twist. I use a BB swivel like the one pictured above at the end of the leader and it works great. I pre-tie mine all to specific legnths(usually 10"-for running them clean or 30" for behind a flasher), and terminate them with a BB swivel. When deploying, I hook that swivel to the main line swivel and let er' rip. No tangling issues anymore.

...Another note- Because I am a bit anal .... I also use a drop of super glue on the split ring to ensure it cant open and the hook cant get worked off(I do this on all my tournament fishing tackle as well). They say you learn from experience....they're right :thumb: