Sharpening a Forschner

So I picked up a Forschner knife/machete this year, and WOW! is it sharp. It will shave the hair off my arm.

What is the best way to keep this thing that sharp?

It will stay sharp forever if you don't use it to shave hair on your arm.:D

If it gets reel bad you can take it to Russ at graphscop(sorry for the spelling) hardware he does a great job its ussually to sharp for a while last time i got it done the first fish i cleaned (about a 16 lb king) it went thru the backbone with out me even noticing! I get mine done in the begining of the year and rarely have to touch it up and if i did it would be duller any way LOL!

I am looking at picking one up this year, any one have reccomendations? I dont know if I do a 10in, 12in, or the 14in........... Do you only use it for taking the meat off the fish or do you fillet the skin with it also?

Shawn, My first forschner was a 12 incher, that was back in to the 20 pounder days. It's great for big fish. I like my 10 incher best for the size of fish we have been catching in recent year.

Shawn, My first forschner was a 12 incher, that was back in to the 20 pounder days. It's great for big fish. I like my 10 incher best for the size of fish we have been catching in recent year.

Thanks Ed, I was leaning that way, but didnt want to undersize myself too much. Maybe I will start with a 10in now and get the 12 later in the year.

One thing I have learned over the years is to completely dry the blades with a soft cloth. This is true with every thing including razors. Microscopic water drops allowed to dry on a blade leave mineral deposits on the edge and these deposits dull the blade.

I got a 12" last year and its nice but a 10 woulda did it.Plus they make a $5 plastic cover for the 10" and only a $25 sheath with belt loop for 12". I really dont wish to pay 1/2 the price of my knife for that.:mad: Its stays in orginal pack but sucks.:(

Much better than pre-Forschner days though;)

I have tried quite a few different sharpeners over the years and have found this one to be very effective. I do have a knife that I dropped on the cement at one point which got some pretty good dings in it (sucks) and I have not been albe to work those out. I think that one needs to be ground down a bit to get it completely back in shape, but I have sharpened every other knife in the house and it has worked great!

Line Dancin - I would be willing to give it a shot if you would be interested. I think I can help Jim's spelling a bit, but it will not be perfect by a along shot Grafschaap???

The Gatco system I have has a coarse, med., & fine stone in it with a holder and some oil. I always thought it looked a bit complicated, but it is pretty simple and allows you to put a different angle on the knife depending on what it's used for. The only thing I had to work on was to get the end of the fillet knife sharp as it hooks away from the sharpener - I now reposition it to do that section of the blade.

Also - I bought a couple knives from "Knives of Alaska" a couple years ago and have been very happy with them. I have the "Steelheader" and the "Coho" - they are more of a standard style fillet knife than the Forschner and a bit more pricey, but have served me well.

I have been playing with the idea of getting a Forschner just because I see them at the cleaning stations so often and have never tried one - may just have to ask someone to try one out before I buy:grin:

Can you have to many knives?:no:

aaron, I think russ does the sharpening by hand but not sure ,the hardware is south of holland on 60th st. take 32nd west to 60th turn south until you see it on the right side. just give me a call if you want. jimmy

Boy, I used to hate to have to try to sharpen my knives until about 7-8 years ago. Steels, honing stones, electric sharpeners, grinders, you name it, I've done it. Now, it's a quick and easy chore, a diamond stone v-sharpener shaped for your hand, and keeps your fingers safe from the blade. There may be others like the Lansky too, they are cheap too, $8-10 for a great quick way to get the blade razor sharp. And you don't pay a hardware or knife shop $20 to get it done anymore. I currently have about 4 of these, some I bought for $4 each too, that way I have one in the house, two on the boat, one in the truck, get the idea? Thanks.

I have used the 10" for years. I like that it still has a little flex and is easier to handle. After trying many differant sharpeners we use only Rada nives sharpeners. They cut a fast razor like edge and are easy to use and keep with your cleaning stuff. The sharpener is just two stainless washers on a square holder that you run the nife through. You can see the metal shavings come of the blade after just a few strokes. They cost only about 7.00. I usually get mine in Harrison, Mi. at a flee market were a lady sells Rada nives.