Okuma Reel Maintenance

Eliminator

Hi Guys,

I have several of the Okuma Magda reels 30 and 45's, along with a handful of their cousins the Cabelas 45 reels. I was wondering what maintenance you would recommend. The first thing I am not sure of is what oil or lubricant to use on the screw drive for the level wind. On top of that should I be greasing bearings or other points? I am adding 10 new convectors this year and will need to do the same next year for those. Appreciate the help anyone has to offer. I hope to start fishing the Joe in Three weeks, we will see……..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=774.0

This guy does awesome tutorials for a lot of different reels, just oil and grease as he recommends. I use Reel-X oil and Cal's drag grease. If you haven't replaced the drags in your Magda's and Cabela's reels, call Tuna Tom and get Carbonex drags for them, they are well worth the money.

This is a great work instruction. :thumb: my reels are brand new and only seen 5 uses last summer so I had not plan on tearing them down this far, but I might just have to try one this weekend for some thing to do. :grin:

This guy does awesome tutorials for a lot of different reels, just oil and grease as he recommends. I use Reel-X oil and Cal's drag grease. If you haven't replaced the drags in your Magda's and Cabela's reels, call Tuna Tom and get Carbonex drags for them, they are well worth the money.

Wow, that is a great site. I am going upgrade my magda's with drags from tuna toms. I am glad to know my convectors will be simy to maintain.

I've never worked on a magda but I did upgrade my cabelas reels and I think they're the same real with a different frame. If I remember correctly they're almost the same as a convector on the inside. I switched the handles to convector handles and upgraded the drags to carbon fiber and it made a huge difference.

Note how highly he speaks of convectors at the end of his tutorial.

Another good spot for carbon fiber washers is smoothdrag.com they also carry the corrosion x and cals grease. If you get the size of washers on the madga reels you can also order the washers from pennparts.com for about half the price of tunas, or smoothdrag.

Great thread and tutorial. I'm an owner of a handful of Magda's and Convector's. In order to do the upgrade I need the carbonex drag washers, reel oil for the bearings, and cal's drag grease for the drag washers?

Is there anything else that I might be missing before I place an order?

It's not necessary to replace any of the metal washers is it? It didn't look like it but just want to clarify.

And sorry if I hijacked your thread eliminator.

Gosh I love this site! Such a wealth of information. Thanks guys.

You will need some cleaner to clean out the old grease -- Alan recommends CRC Carb Cleaner. I used Dawn dish soap and water after cleaning with that and then hit everything with compressed air to dry it. The soap and water bath was probably overkill.

Also, the bearings in the CV45L I just did had the dust covers with the retainer clips which I only figured out after I pried the dust covers off with a sharp nail. (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0). I'm leaving the covers off mine.

Also, I had a problem with the drags from Tom's as they were too thick. I called and they are aware of the problem and sending new washers. Easy call to make and they are making it right. You'll know if you have a problem when you put the drag stack back together and mount it to the side plate as it will bind up.

There is a little note about sanding the metal washers and bending the tabs at the end of the Alan Tani tutorial but if you get the right drags, you shouldn't need to do that.

It's not necessary to replace any of the metal washers is it? It didn't look like it but just want to clarify.

Nope.

-- Bud

Great thread and tutorial. I'm an owner of a handful of Magda's and Convector's. In order to do the upgrade I need the carbonex drag washers, reel oil for the bearings, and cal's drag grease for the drag washers?

No problem! I agree great site with great info. I was wondering tue same thing.

That's about all you need. You can also use marine grade grease for spots other than your drag washers. Some people use Cals grease with mixed reviews, Alan Tani uses yamaha lube but that's a hug PIA since they don't make the smaller quantities any more. When I ordered from pennparts.com, I got a tub of the penn grease. Seems to work very well. The main reason I use that instead of Cals grease is the blue color so I know which reels I've worked on, it's more water resistant than Cals, and sometimes the teflon in the cals is too slippery for screws and such (back out too easy). Just make sure you use the Cals for your drags. That's what the teflon powder and oil in the Cals is for.

Now is a good time to replace weak or broken clickers, you can get them from Tuna's or Okuma. Get metal clickers.

If your Convectors have an annodized star drag, they are newer reels and should have 2 carbon fiber drag washers already so you only need 2 more. If the star drag is chrome, you'll need a full set.

Be careful with carb cleaner, I wouldn't use it on the frame. I stripped the paint off one of my Tekota's with carb cleaner so I wouldn't be surprised if it would discolor graphite (or worse). I use isopropyl alcohol for all but the most stubborn grease.