Can I use Diawa accudepth 27lc's for dipsy rods?

My wife has put the kabosh and my fishing budget so I have to budget shop. I need 2 dipsy setups that won't break the bank. I plan to run 2 dipsy rods with 30 lb braid. Will the accudepth 27lc's work with dipsys or should I go with Okuma 45dx's? I can get the diawas new for under $40 and not sure about the okumas. These will only get like 10 uses a year.

Thanks in advance!

First i hate diawas new reels. i dont think they are like built like the old sealine great lakes reels. They seem cheaper made to me using them on a friends boat.

Second i dont like any reel that uses bushings like the cheaper diawas. I would rather have bearings that i can replace if and when they fail. typically a bushing reel is a throw away reel. When the bushing wear and the rell gets sloppy tou pitch it.

Would they hold up to a dipsy maybe a few years but you will be replacing them. If you are looking at the magda 45s they are also a cheaper made reel altough they do use bearings in them. if you go to the convector you are getting a pretty good reel in the 30 series and walmart has them on their site ship to store no shipping for 66 bucks a piece. They have 13 available right now i just checked. This is the best price i have seen on these including at the shows this year. These will last better then the diawas for you.

The 27lc are pretty small , I used them last year for braided dipsys. worked ok but the capacity is not there. Most of my rods are okumas and work great, just make sure you have line counters. What kind of budget do you have , are you in need of rods too?

I think the Diawa 27's are a bit small for dipsies, and the Okuma 45's would work but are a bit on the big side IMO. I would suggest going with either the Diawa 47's or the Okuma 30's. For dipsies I would also suggest going with a higher quality reel if you can afford it, since these reels seem to take the most amount of abuse.

My budget is getting slimmer by the day. I just got into this game and my walleye stuff will not cut it. I just put on bert tracks, bert ratcheting rod holders, 2 walker lake ranger manuals. I got the lecture tonight. I am going to start off by running 2 riggers and 2 dipsies off my 16.5 ft Lund. I have the 2 rods for the downriggers and that's it. I need 2 reels for the riggers and 2 rod/reel setups for my dipsies. I have a $300 budget for right now and I need to buy $150 worth of downrigger swivels. So that leaves me with $150. I will have more coin, but have to start collecting what I need. Rerigging a boat is not cheap, especially when going to salmon fishing:)

It sounds like the convectors are the way to go. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet.

I want them to last.

I would go with the magdas they have done well for me over the last few years. When I used the smaller 20s the drags did not stand up well for pulling dipseys. Pick up a 9 foot dipsey rod from just about any company, fleet farm or the equivalent will get you a good rod for 25 to 30 bucks. I run the so magda 39s? with a cheap dipsey rod and 20 lb mono and cant remember my last breakoff on a dipsey rod.

Brandon, I can help you out on the rigger reels. I'll make you a good deal. As far as dipsey reels, it sounds like those Convectors from Wal-Mart are going to be tough to beat. That is a heck of a price. As far as rods, you can usually find some Daiwa Heartlands for $25 or so. Check out Frank's or Northwoods. I bought a pair of them from Frank's last year that were discontinued for $20 each. Might want to check out the show in Birch Run coming up. Someone might make you a deal there. If you are patient and look around you should be able to find a good deal. I might have 1 extra dipsey rod around, I'll take a look. As far as the braid itself, I use the Cabela's Ripcord. You can buy a bulk spool of it. And a spool of 20# Ande as backing will help keep costs down. We are all on a budget of some sort so we know what you are talking about. In the end I try to get the best value, not necessarily the cheapest.

Brandon,

It sounds like you want reels that will do double duty. For a quite a few yrs I used the 45 series reels for walleye and salmon. Maybe you could do the same by selling the 27s and getting some larger reels. It's a lot easier to use the bigger reels for walleye than use the smaller ones for salmon.

Here is what I used to do. I would fish walleye through Mid July and shift to salmon. I would keep the 45 series reels almost full of 30# braid or 20# mono. When I wanted to walleye fish I would splice on 100yds of 10# mono. Ten pound mono hardly takes any space on 45s. When It was salmon time cut off the 10# and have at it.

The 45 Okuma Magna Pros will get the job done, especially for the limited amount of salmon fishing you will do with them. The walleye will not even bruise a 45 series Okuma.

Too small for dipseys IMO. And if your going to do any amount of fishing for salmon with them id recommend a better quality reel....But, if you cant spend more on a reel, then at least jump up to the 47 size from Daiwa to get good capacity. Cause if its anything liek the last couple of summers your gonna stretch em out to get down to the fish. Plus, big Kings like to rip off Line. Gotta be able to acommidate both scenarios. Good luck to you.

If it were me, I'd either look at the convectors from northwoods outlet which are listed at $63

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=4_38_130_443

They also have combos on sale commonly at their store.

Or, better yet buy some used equipment. The Daiwa great lakes would work fine and you can find those used for 25 or 30 bucks. Get either used poles, or go to mc sports when they're on sale for $15. It seems to me that when you buy used, the reels are the money and poles are cheap.

The line is outrageous for braid. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but you can get chinese line on ebay for less than half the price. Looks like 1000 meters of 40 pound will run you less than 50 bucks. Again, I've looked at that deal but haven't done it. Maybe some others here would help with that one.

Wow this snow is killing me. Have done 3 long driveways 3 times each with my quad starting last last night. I am whooped.

I definitely don't want to buy cheap junk, would rather but good stuff at a good price. I am going to call northwoods in a second and see what a convector setup would cost me compared to a 45dx setup. Not gonna get the 45x to only save 40 bucks on the 2 though.

Nick, I am gonna buy those penns for my riggers from you like we talked about.

Thanks guys!

I use a couple of Cabelas 45's with upgrades drags from Tuna Tom. The the upgrade will cost you about 10 bucks. The reels are frequently on sale, but you have to watch for them. They aren't a horrible reel but there are better ones too. Not bad to start out, but the drags have to be replaced for smooth operation. Just my two cents.

other nice thing about the convector is the hadle set up. you can put the handle on the second hole they say for power and it make bringing in a heavy rig like a diver so much easier. I went to tekota 600s last year for diver and am buying the power handle from tuna toms for them. they are a pain with that short handle on them.

Ok I called Northwoods and they have a convector 30d and 9 foot Classic Pro medium rod combo. Is that gonna get me in the game? It is in my price range also.

I am overwhelmed by all the choices. Glad you guys have a clue.

Thanks

I outfitted my Lund for the big lake last year and like you I planned on running riggers and divers. My wife caught wind of my spending before I got all my rods and reels so I feel your pain there as well :)

I have a combination of Penn's, Okuma Magna's and Okuma Convectors. If I had it to do over again I would have only bought convectors. The Penn's are good but I find the handles on the convectors more comfortable. And for the price difference I would get the convectors first so that next year your not trying to sell a couple Magna's.

Oh, and get the wife ready, it wont be long and your gonna think you NEED leadcore and copper rods! :lol:

The leadcore isn' so bad its the wireline setup thats the killer. When I told my wife what the cost is to set up two wire rods she gave me that look.

Well, I did win the battle, she gave me the ok BUT ,has yet to show me the money. I convinced her by the longevity of the line used. Compared to respooling mono every year.

You can also pickup the magda combos with 4 rods/reel for about 200. I picked up 4 3yrs ago for $180.

Sweet! One less thing to boggle my simple mind. Looks like I will stay within my budget. Now I need to find more money for lures, flashers, etc! My wife just has no clue how expensive fishing gear is, she thinks I buy things that I could do without. She doesn't understand that with each species comes new gear.

Thanks!

That combo will do you good. Now here is something else to consider. When getting ready to spool will it be mono or braid. Thats the next decision. Mono has a lot of stretch and with the diameter dosen't dive the deepest. when running long runs to get to the fish the diver will be harder to release and you may have to reel it most of the way to the boat before being able to trip it. Braid will get you almost as deep as wire using 40 lb test. it will also be easier to release when running it back 250-350 ft as there is no stretch. Mono you will replace every year but is cheap. braid will last a few years and is a little more pricy.