Can I use Diawa accudepth 27lc's for dipsy rods?

That's a good combo you mentioned from Northwoods. If it was me I would have gotten the convector 30 from Northwoods, but i would have ordered some daiwa Wilderness rods. You could get the Daiwa Wilderness 8'6" M action for 14.95 plus shipping from Fishusa.com. shipping is only 5.95 i think from fishusa.

Unlike fishing with a rod in hand for gills/perch/walleye the sensitivity is not cruicial with salmon. I've had a lot of time with these rods and they handle just fine so far for me.

I thought gill/perch/walleye rods and tackle was expensive. Once i broke into Salmon gear it's become one costly habit. Dipseys, downriggers, leadcore, copper, big reels, spoons, flashers, flies. lol. It all pays off as soon as you get a screamer on the line and your forearm hurts soo bad you want to pass the rod off to your partner.

good luck with your quest on appropriate fishing gear. I can say if you can do anything get the most you can afford. I've been in the process of updating my accupdeth 27lc and my magda 30's since the first season in 08.

I have a used full core set up that I got last year that I need to get rid of 50 bucks takes the deal, Rod, Penn reel, with core from last year.

I may have a diver rod too 10 bucks, I will have to check.

What else do you need?

I am on year 2 and I already have stuff I don't use.

Dave

I would not put mono on a diver unless you want to be replacing the dipseys, flashers and flies that you loose when the line breaks. The braid will cost more initually but in the long run it is cheaper. The magda pro reels work just fine for 10 trips a year. Only problem I had with the Magda pros is the level wind would quit working and the release would constantly click back in when I was trying to free spool. Never had any issues with the convectors but I am now replacing them all with Tekotas. In time you will want to run wire on your dipseys. Then you will need a metal spool like the Convector.

I am for sure going with the northwoods convector combos. May swing over to pinconning on way to houghton lake this weekend.

I am glad I joined this website. Lots of people looking to help.

Dave can you send me all specs on that leadcore setup? Maybe I can squeeze it into my budget.

If you swing by northwoods, make sure to bring extra money.... they have all kinds of stuff for cheap. Sometimes I can't believe the prices on things and I end up spending twice as much as I planned just because I "had to have it" because it was so reasonable.

I stopped by NW last saturday on way back from augre. Went just for berts rod holder and also came hom with some ice fishing gear. The rod holders were 45 and everywhere else they are 69-79. I can't take extra money this time or my wife will have my...

Trust me, you don't want a Magda on a diver- drags are too sticky and diver hits are usually exceptionally violent. I have and still run a 27lc accudepth for a 20lb wire diver and it works great and is light weight which I like. My 30 lb wire divers and the like are old Sealine Great Lakes 47lc's with the green button. I had Tuna Tom rebuild them completely and they are every bit as smooth as a Tekota, and with a Power Handle, they're an ideal reel for divers/pump handles or even riggers and short cores.

Ok well things changed a little bit. I actually have a cabelas credit card and they have some things priced especially for club members. I ended up getting 2 Okuma lookalike cabelas dx45's with dipsy 9 foot rods for 44.95 each. Then I had $16.00 in club dollars. I got them delivered to the door for $92.00. If I didn't have a cabelas card they would have been $70 each. Even if I replace them next year w/ convectors I can sell them and get most of my money back. That also frees up a little for spoons/flashers and flies/and a few plugs.

Edit: I am gonna cancel the order and just get the convectors I was originally gonna get. I'm not going to cheap out and kick myself later.

• 1 month later...

hey brandon

in my opinion it depends alot on what fish your going after. last year i set up to run 3 lite bite slide divers on each side. i used the diawa adp17lc on one side and the sealine17lcp on the other. but i only fish walleye in the central basin. i fish 65 ft deep at the most. i wouldnt go with the old accudepth unless i just had to, but the 17 accudepth plus worked great for me. i rigged the way i did because the adp,s are silver and the sealines are black. so the rookies on my boat didnt put the wrong one on the wrong side. if i still fished salmon i would go with something bigger than the 27,s. but if you just fish eyes their plenty big enough. i bought all my reels used on ebay. the most i had to pay was 55.00, and that was for the sealine17lcp. i only got 1 that had to be repaired. and the seller paid for that. i would also reccomend the okuma convector 20,s just for eyes. bigger for salmon. for dipsy,s you want line counters whatever you get. hope this gives you some insight. walleye chops forever....sherman....

hey again brandon

one other thing i did. i got on ebay and found a place selling power handles. emailed him and he listed what i needed for a good price. the power handles you could add anytime. but their worth the money. if you go with the convectors they come with both handles. or the 20 size does. have a great season....sherman....

hey brandon

in my opinion it depends alot on what fish your going after. last year i set up to run 3 lite bite slide divers on each side. i used the diawa adp17lc on one side and the sealine17lcp on the other. but i only fish walleye in the central basin. i fish 65 ft deep at the most. i wouldnt go with the old accudepth unless i just had to, but the 17 accudepth plus worked great for me. i rigged the way i did because the adp,s are silver and the sealines are black. so the rookies on my boat didnt put the wrong one on the wrong side. if i still fished salmon i would go with something bigger than the 27,s. but if you just fish eyes their plenty big enough. i bought all my reels used on ebay. the most i had to pay was 55.00, and that was for the sealine17lcp. i only got 1 that had to be repaired. and the seller paid for that. i would also reccomend the okuma convector 20,s just for eyes. bigger for salmon. for dipsy,s you want line counters whatever you get. hope this gives you some insight. walleye chops forever....sherman....